Transit in SVO- lounge until morning?

Old Jan 23, 16, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Transit in SVO- lounge until morning?

I have just booked a ticket from SU with the following segments:
SU4451 CDG-SVO Arr. 00:10 Connecting
SU0260 SVO-NRT Dep. 19:10

With a valid transit visa, is it allowed for me to-

Enjoy the lounge(sleep) until morning, then enter Russia until late afternoon and went back to airport to catch my next segment?
Old Jan 26, 16, 3:43 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold
If you have PriorityPass (or other), use the Space lounge in Terminal E. They have a great bed room and wonderful showers.

Otherwise, there are some decent hotels around the airport.
I would strongly advise against the "V-hotel" (hourly paid youth hostel within the terminal E).
Old Jan 27, 16, 8:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, AAdvantage, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fleuve View Post
With a valid transit visa, is it allowed for me to-

enter Russia until late afternoon and went back to airport to catch my next segment?
Answer is yes. I've done it twice. On your Transit visa application you should indicate "Transit to Japan" at some point, and they'll almost certainly ask to see the tickets.

From SVO you can get to Moscow on the express train, which is the best way to avoid Moscow's traffic, transfer on the green line and hop off at Teatralnaya to get to the red square.

Enjoy the lounge(sleep) until morning
It says on the airport's site that the access to the lounge is limited to 3 hours. Not sure if it's enforced but just be aware of it.
Old Jan 27, 16, 5:08 pm

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Originally Posted by hessbo View Post
If you have PriorityPass (or other), use the Space lounge in Terminal E. They have a great bed room and wonderful showers.

Otherwise, there are some decent hotels around the airport.
I would strongly advise against the "V-hotel" (hourly paid youth hostel within the terminal E).
Prioritypass is limited for 3hours , ok maybe they will not check exactly 3 hours but no way to stay all day there

Better to use Vhotel , or to go to city center of moscow by train
Old Jan 31, 16, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chuvash View Post
Answer is yes. I've done it twice. On your Transit visa application you should indicate "Transit to Japan" at some point, and they'll almost certainly ask to see the tickets.

From SVO you can get to Moscow on the express train, which is the best way to avoid Moscow's traffic, transfer on the green line and hop off at Teatralnaya to get to the red square.

It says on the airport's site that the access to the lounge is limited to 3 hours. Not sure if it's enforced but just be aware of it.
What I am worried about is the fact that I arrived at midnight, which means public transportation maybe limited and dangerous. That's the reason that I am trying to sort out a way to remain at the airport with comfort(if possible) and visit Moscow after dawn.

I have SkyTeam Elite Plus, which allows me to visit SU lounge.
On the websites, they say:
"your stay in the lounges is limited: no more than four hours before departure, except for transit/transfer passengers"

I understand it as I, as a transit passenger, am not confined to the four hours limitation. Is it correct?
Old Jan 31, 16, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two View Post
Prioritypass is limited for 3hours , ok maybe they will not check exactly 3 hours but no way to stay all day there

Better to use Vhotel , or to go to city center of moscow by train
I have a Skyteam elite Plus status and the SU website reads
"your stay in the lounges is limited: no more than four hours before departure, except for transit/transfer passengers"

I guess I may be allowed to stay in the lounge. However, once I finished the transfer security check and enter the airside for departure, I have no chance to visit Russia again and will have to, even in the lounges, stay in the airport for 19 hours, and much of the time is daytime...I think that will be very boring.

Thus, what I am much curious about is whether they have arrival lounge where I can relax a bit before my one day adventure in Moscow.

I don't know if sleeping in Moscow airport "LANDSIDE" is a good idea.
Most of my experience of sleeping in Asian airport "LANDSIDE" is safe and nice however.(NRT/TPE/SIN/HKG)
Old Feb 2, 16, 1:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, AAdvantage, SPG Gold
I don't know if sleeping in Moscow airport "LANDSIDE" is a good idea.
Most of my experience of sleeping in Asian airport "LANDSIDE" is safe and nice however.(NRT/TPE/SIN/HKG)
Don't know about landside hotels, but one thing you should consider is to sleep in a hotel in Downtown Moscow:

-Given the RUB exchange rate right now it's fairly cheap. You can find good properties for ~80 a night
-You can ride a UberX for 1000 RUB (~12) to the center in the middle of the night thus avoiding the world famous Moscow traffic
-You'll save at least an hour in the morning.
-You get to experience Moscow's night scene if you're brave enough for it.

One thing you shouldn't worry about is security. Moscow is quite safe, at least safer than paris I think.
Old Feb 20, 16, 3:21 pm

Programs: FB Gold - STE+, BAEC Gold - OW Emerald
I am in sort of a same situation and have the same question.

Travelling from AMS to MSQ (Belarus) via SVO in Y, therefore transit visa mandatory. I am a FB Gold/ST Elite Plus member.

Itinerary:

Arrival KL907 Terminal E 01:30
Departure SU1840 Terminal D 13:50

What are my lounge options according to you (I dont know if I have to recheck luggage)? Compared to OP I am unable to find the 4 hour restriction anywhere on the website of SVO.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 21, 16, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
The domestic lounge in D, if that's what you want for the ~10 hours you'll have.

Search this Thread