Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SU: seat selection on "budget" fares available for STE+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, SPG Plat

It seems that Aeroflot has recently changed the booking tool on their website. One of the side effects of this change is that now STE+ (maybe STE too) members can select seats on fares that previously didn't allow it. Before, as far as I remember, only Aeroflot's own elites could use this benefit.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:42 pm
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Wait, really? I actually like Aeroflot, but only when I travel solo and don't care much about seat selection. When I travel with family, I simply avoid the airline since I can't choose seats in advance. What you are saying sounds promising.

At what point are you allowed to choose seats? After you purchase ticket and enter your Sky Team number? The website still says that "advanced seat reservation in economy class not depending on fare restrictions" is available only to Aeroflot elites.

Last edited by a7m; Jan 21, 2016 at 6:52 pm
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:47 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by a7m
Wait, really? I actually like Aeroflot, but only when I travel solo and don't care much about seat selection. When I travel with family, I simply avoid the airline since I can't choose seats in advance. What you are saying sounds promising.

At what point are you allowed to choose seats? After you purchase ticket and enter your Sky Team number? The website still says that "advanced seat reservation in economy class not depending on fare restrictions" is available only to Aeroflot elites.
We are flying from SVO to ARN this summer on a budget fare with SU. My wife is a Silver Elite on Delta (at least until the end of the month) and I was able to select seats for us after inputting our Delta SkyMiles numbers.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:56 am
a7m

Originally Posted by pjs
We are flying from SVO to ARN this summer on a budget fare with SU. My wife is a Silver Elite on Delta (at least until the end of the month) and I was able to select seats for us after inputting our Delta SkyMiles numbers.
At what stage of the process? Before paying?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: UA*S, CX*S, CI*G
Originally Posted by a7m
At what stage of the process? Before paying?
After I have paid the ticket, the website took me a "manage my booking" page where I could choose the seat.

However, they blocked quite a lot seats in the exit rows.
I thought STE+ are allowed to reserve the exit row seats, but apparently it's not the case in SU...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:01 am
a7m

Originally Posted by fleuve
After I have paid the ticket, the website took me a "manage my booking" page where I could choose the seat.

I thought STE+ are allowed to reserve the exit row seats, but apparently it's not the case in SU...
What ticket class was it (if you remember)?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:18 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by fleuve

Same here. It was after paying and putting in the DL #s.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: UA*S, CX*S, CI*G
Originally Posted by a7m
What ticket class was it (if you remember)?
Economy (Class E)
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Yes, for Aeroflot Bonus Silver, Gold and Platinum the seat selection is possible for any booking class (including promo and budget). Just need to log into your Aeroflot Bonus account and go to "my reservations".
You can also change your seat at any time.
Bulkhead and exit rows can only be reserved through the Concierge (Platinum) or at the check-in desk.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, SPG Plat
In my case, if this matters:

Booking class: N (economy budget)
Frequent flyer card: SkyMiles Gold

Seat selection became available after the payment in "Check The Reservation".
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:35 am
a7m

Originally Posted by Dlougach
It seems that Aeroflot has recently changed the booking tool on their website. One of the side effects of this change is that now STE+ (maybe STE too) members can select seats on fares that previously didn't allow it. Before, as far as I remember, only Aeroflot's own elites could use this benefit.
Had the same experience. I was trying to book tickets for three. I am the only DL elite (not elite plus). The Manhattan office said that only I could choose a seat for myself, not companions. Weird. When I booked the tickets online, however, I was able to choose seats for everyone even though I was buying N-class.

Those who are in doubt, can actually choose seats before paying. I did this:

1) Find the flights.
2) Enter the passenger information.
3) Go to the next page. While it doesn't have option to choose seats, it will have confirmation code. Copy it. Close the page.
4) Go to Aeroflot site again and choose online services. Choose find reservation. You can do it for about two hours after choosing flights.
5) Once you enter your confirmation code, you'll end up on the page where you can choose seats (provided you or your companion has ST Elite) and pay.

Who knew that DL's Silver status, which is nearly worthless in the US, is worth something?
Old May 5, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta, Aeroflot, Finnair, KLM, Norwegaian
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by a7m
Had the same experience. I was trying to book tickets for three. I am the only DL elite (not elite plus). The Manhattan office said that only I could choose a seat for myself, not companions. Weird. When I booked the tickets online, however, I was able to choose seats for everyone even though I was buying N-class.

Those who are in doubt, can actually choose seats before paying. I did this:

1) Find the flights.
2) Enter the passenger information.
3) Go to the next page. While it doesn't have option to choose seats, it will have confirmation code. Copy it. Close the page.
4) Go to Aeroflot site again and choose online services. Choose find reservation. You can do it for about two hours after choosing flights.
5) Once you enter your confirmation code, you'll end up on the page where you can choose seats (provided you or your companion has ST Elite) and pay.

Who knew that DL's Silver status, which is nearly worthless in the US, is worth something?
This worked for me last year when booking HEL - VVO, and I don't have any status yet (although I am an Aeroflot bonus member). I just followed the steps described above. The only drawback is the need to repeat the process if the first flight one looks at doesn't have any suitable seats.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
It seems that it is now possible to exchange / refund a classic ticket online as well, where previously I had to call to refund the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.