Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Metrojet 7K 9268 (RU) SSH-LED crashes in Sinai, EG (31 Oct 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

A Russian Metrojet (rebranded in 2012 from Kogalymavia and known as KolAvia) Airbus Industrie A321 EI-ETJ departing Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, at 05:58 local time (03:58 GMT) Saturday, 31 Oct 2015 went down 22 minutes later in the Sinai desert en route to Pulkovo airport in St. Petersburg. 217 passengers and 7 crew have been lost. A Russian commission is on its way; the "black box" has been recovered.Bodies are being recovered by the Egyptian authorities.
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.

The moderators here are Cholula and Kiwi Flyer; the Senior Moderators are here to assist as necessary.
MODERATOR NOTE: Please note: Insensitive or attacking posts, discussion about other posters and their motives, OMNI conspiracy theories, ad hominem, etc. will be summarily deleted. Please follow the TOS when discussing this tragedy: essentially, "These matters are always personal and should be treated with respect." Family members and other affected parties may be following this thread. Gross speculation and the rumors that are apt to be spread initially are not helpful to them or to us.

Moderation of this thread will be strictly "to rules". Moreover, it is simply not possible to contact each individual poster whose post may be deleted or edited. We ask for your patience and understanding, and thank you for your cooperation.
--> If you have a question or comment about moderation, use the "Alert a Moderator" button left of every post, or send a PM. Do not post such comments/questions on-thread.

Useful, reliable links:

Aviation Herald article on 7K 9268 (maps, photos)

BBC (updated) article on 7K 9268

Aviation Safety.net incident summary (link to IAE list of incidents involving same engine). (c/o TheTakeOffRush)

Impact on BA operations is being discussed here.

For those with sufficient posts to access Omni, off topic and political conjecture can be discussed here.
Print Wikipost

Metrojet 7K 9268 (RU) SSH-LED crashes in Sinai, EG (31 Oct 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
IMO the Egyptians are not going to do any more than the minimum with the US given the past disagreements over the Egyptair 990 flight.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This mentions (beside other things) the countries involved in formal investigation of the crash:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/wo...tion.html?_r=0
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by largeeyes
This is Russia we're talking about.
But it wasn't at the time of the tailstrike: http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=20011116-0. It was flying with a French registration then, although with Middle East Airways rather than a French operator. Egypt has not been a lucky country for that airframe .

This is an interesting video, which seems to show aerial shots of most of the plane in one location and a few parts, such as a detached tail section, some distance away.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
IMO the Egyptians are not going to do any more than the minimum with the US given the past disagreements over the Egyptair 990 flight.
Where it is absolutely clear for 100% of the world (including Egypt who would just not officially accept it) that a "Lubitz" happened..(definitely NOT what happened here)

I think we shouldnt speculate in this thread though.. so I guess time will tell if it was mechanical tear&wear (even looong after that tail strike) or a bomb or something like that.. in ANY case its no good news at all.

RIP to all victims
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
The media is continuing to line up to say catastrophic failure of the rear pressure bulkhead.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Worcester
I think you rather over estimate the ability of bomb detection. All bags get x rayed but that it hardly fool proof. Even the TSA arguably one of the most cautious of Airport Security departments missed 95% of the tests placed on them and in Egypt is not beyond possibility that there are airport staff sympathetic to radical Islam (even if most Egyptians would abhor acts like this)
Exactly! They do not have inline baggage screening system in any Egypt airport. They don't have X-Ray machines at the ticket counter. They had to be screened all of the checked bags. Every time they have to be searched for explosives.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
That is an unusual debris field with the relatively pristine tail section. I wonder if the Israelis will provide through back channels radar information about the aircraft's final moments. I have to believe they watch the Sinai airspace intently.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I came across this article that suggests a small bomb within the plane is the culprit:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-03/russian-airliner-crash-looks-like-an-explosion-military-analyst/6908220
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
There does seem to be a bit of a complacency that if the equipment and the manpower is there, that this is enough. Or, perhaps, I am too cynical and that profiling has been done at the meta level enough to explain a few of the comments made by posters above in Istanbul and Egypt. Here in Amman there is 'security' at the malls, but as soon as you enter and walk through the detector and it invariably squawks into life, you are waved through. My Jordanian friend is always stopped when alone, but when she is with me she is waved through. At the airport, I was pulled out of the queue and waved through the queue without being checked inbound at the airport (all other passengers searched). Furthermore the checkpoints near Irbid (and consequently Syria) were very basic. Perhaps I am too cynical and they know exactly what they are looking for.

Nut sure if I understood your post correctly but if you think that I was advocating profiling I am definitely not.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by luckypierre
That is an unusual debris field with the relatively pristine tail section. I wonder if the Israelis will provide through back channels radar information about the aircraft's final moments. I have to believe they watch the Sinai airspace intently.
I put together this montage:

by overlaying the two debris fields shown in Russian satellite pictures that have been reported (eg, half way down this NY Daily News report onto a Google image of the area set to the same scale.

An then BBC included a similar diagram in one of their reports.

The flight path from bottom middle to top left of the montage can be seen in the BBC image, showing that the tail section (overlay bottom right in montage) came down a about a mile 'behind' the main fuselage (top left in montage) based on direction of travel.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Nov 4, 2015 at 1:31 am Reason: Clarification of what is what. Hopefully.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Nut sure if I understood your post correctly but if you think that I was advocating profiling I am definitely not.
No sorry I wasn't suggesting you did, I was suggesting that this happens, and that I've experienced this. I did not mean to suggest I agreed with it, nor you, but that the security situation in this neck of the woods is somewhat confusing to me. Terribly written post, sorry.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
but that the security situation in this neck of the woods is somewhat confusing to me.
I agree with you on that. It seems for the most part to be a box ticking exercise rather than with any expectation of catching anyone.

But with regards the aircraft, nothing come out so far which appears to rule out some kind of structural failure. I am not sure if that is better or worse for the relatives.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:39 am
Suspended

But with regards the aircraft, nothing come out so far which appears to rule out some kind of structural failure. I am not sure if that is better or worse for the relatives.
If its a structural failure, there isn't much good that comes out of that. If it turns out that it was a bomb, then there is a good chance Putin nukes ISIS out of the stratosphere which would be a good thing.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: LH M+M
NBC quotes US officials having infrared satellite imagery about a 'heat flash' - indicating a bomb or fuel tank explosion, but ruling out a missile:
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/rus...hed-no-n456161
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I read that the tail strike repair was done by Airbus in Toulouse. The two Boeing structural failures were both done by repair facilities that did not precisely follow the Boeing Structural Repair Manual. I know the airlines are cautious about having the manufacturer do these type repairs. Perfect work without any shortcuts, expensive (I have heard 2 to 3x what a competent third party might charge) and, equally important to the airlines, quite slow in getting the plane back in the sky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.