Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Metrojet 7K 9268 (RU) SSH-LED crashes in Sinai, EG (31 Oct 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

A Russian Metrojet (rebranded in 2012 from Kogalymavia and known as KolAvia) Airbus Industrie A321 EI-ETJ departing Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, at 05:58 local time (03:58 GMT) Saturday, 31 Oct 2015 went down 22 minutes later in the Sinai desert en route to Pulkovo airport in St. Petersburg. 217 passengers and 7 crew have been lost. A Russian commission is on its way; the "black box" has been recovered.Bodies are being recovered by the Egyptian authorities.
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.

The moderators here are Cholula and Kiwi Flyer; the Senior Moderators are here to assist as necessary.
MODERATOR NOTE: Please note: Insensitive or attacking posts, discussion about other posters and their motives, OMNI conspiracy theories, ad hominem, etc. will be summarily deleted. Please follow the TOS when discussing this tragedy: essentially, "These matters are always personal and should be treated with respect." Family members and other affected parties may be following this thread. Gross speculation and the rumors that are apt to be spread initially are not helpful to them or to us.

Moderation of this thread will be strictly "to rules". Moreover, it is simply not possible to contact each individual poster whose post may be deleted or edited. We ask for your patience and understanding, and thank you for your cooperation.
--> If you have a question or comment about moderation, use the "Alert a Moderator" button left of every post, or send a PM. Do not post such comments/questions on-thread.

Useful, reliable links:

Aviation Herald article on 7K 9268 (maps, photos)

BBC (updated) article on 7K 9268

Aviation Safety.net incident summary (link to IAE list of incidents involving same engine). (c/o TheTakeOffRush)

Impact on BA operations is being discussed here.

For those with sufficient posts to access Omni, off topic and political conjecture can be discussed here.
Print Wikipost

Metrojet 7K 9268 (RU) SSH-LED crashes in Sinai, EG (31 Oct 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by dhuey
Seems to me that the preliminary analysis of the voice and date recorders will point clearly in one direction or the other with regard to bomb explosion or non-explosive structural failure as the cause of the mid-air disintegration.
agreed. any idea how long the analysis will last?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
How far from the main crash site was the tail section? If it was a catastrophic failure of the rear pressure bulkhead (like that JAL flight), presumably the tail would have blown off and fallen to the ground, and the pilots would then have fought to control the plane, changing altitude etc before crashing a few minutes later, miles away from the tail.

Does that theory work with the evidence we have?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Aren't the FDR and CVR in the tail? If s, the recordings (the CVR recordings at least) likely end moments after the sudden catastrophic event that caused the crash.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by Deltus
How far from the main crash site was the tail section? If it was a catastrophic failure of the rear pressure bulkhead (like that JAL flight), presumably the tail would have blown off and fallen to the ground, and the pilots would then have fought to control the plane, changing altitude etc before crashing a few minutes later, miles away from the tail.

Yes - the tail is located about a mile from the bulk of the ther debris. There are links and a map a few posts back in this thread.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Deltus

In the case of JAL accident, the pilots were able to communicate with the ground and fought to regain the control of the plane for several minutes though ultimately unsuccessful. If the tail section has simply been blown off, the Metrojet most likely would have had time to send out SOS call, so any similarity to the JAL incident stops here. Instead, initial reading from the black box suggests a catastrophic and sudden event, more likely some kind of explosive decompression. Whatever happened, it likely happened very quickly. But experts are confident that based on the sounds captured by the black boxes, they can discern whether the explosion is from a bomb or not, even if it only lasted a millisecond due to previous experiences from past accidents or cases.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yes - the tail is located about a mile from the bulk of the ther debris. There are links and a map a few posts back in this thread.
I don't think what you said is accurate. The previous post suggested the tail is found further up north compared to other debris, contradicting that it came off first. Secondly, there is no such thing as "bulk" of the debris given that it is widely reported that the debris are scattered over 20 square KM or 8 square miles, a very very large area. There is not a concentrated debris field to speak of.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by haddon90
agreed. any idea how long the analysis will last?
How long analysis will take? or how long until we hear?

The prelim analysis is done. Whether we hear any statements or leaks, who knows. Final report in a year.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guava
I don't think what you said is accurate. The previous post suggested the tail is found further up north compared to other debris, contradicting that it came off first. Secondly, there is no such thing as "bulk" of the debris given that it is widely reported that the debris are scattered over 20 square KM or 8 square miles, a very very large area. There is not a concentrated debris field to speak of.
The airplane came apart several miles up and fell in two main areas that are about one mile apart. I don't think the tail ended up a mile in front of the rest of the fuselage. The BBC posted this map:

It does not show which part is which but it lists "Main crash site" which I'd guess is the fuselage. Also, the earlier post with the small map overlaid with the two main debris fields states that the tail was found ne mile behind the main fuselage along the line of travel.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by invisible
Do you know most aircraft Russian airlines operate have foreign registration and why?

Possibly tax, the Irish standard corporate tax rate is 12.5% but there are various further exemptions. There are a number of air leasing companies in Ireland.

It may also mean that the aircraft was owned by an Irish companies, in which case any actions against the aircraft (such as seizing it in lieu of debts) may have to go through Irish common law rather than Russian, which if the Russian company was in trouble may have been a factor.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Also, the earlier post with the small map overlaid with the two main debris fields states that the tail was found ne mile behind the main fuselage along the line of travel.
My original text there was potentially misleading. I've adjusted it to try and be clearer.

I think it takes about 3 minutes for something that is reasonably lumpy (rather than streamlined) to fall 30000 feet and encountering air resistance. So a mile or so of distance on the ground means a differential speed of 20-30mph. I'm surprised they are so close together if separation occurred at that height as I'd expect greater rates of deceleration and other effects to have dispersed them further.

An image of the debris field from Lockerbie or similar might inform. The Wikipedia entry for that incident says debris was spread across 2000sqkm, which would be about 50km diameter circle. Or 30 miles for those that think that way. That might be taken to infer that breakup was at around 1000 feet.

Alternatively, could a hard semi controlled landing lead to another tailstrike, separation, and the 'bounced' main section coming down a mile away? At 200mph it would only need 20 seconds or so of onward flight to cover the mile.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Nov 4, 2015 at 3:08 am Reason: Added thoughts on separation distance.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by dhuey
Seems to me that the preliminary analysis of the voice and date recorders will point clearly in one direction or the other with regard to bomb explosion or non-explosive structural failure as the cause of the mid-air disintegration.
It seems that in the history of civil aviation, there were only four occurrences of bomb in cargo hold:

Air India Flight 182
Pan Am Flight 103
UTA Flight 772
Avianca Flight 203

Last three happened in 1989 and there was no single occurrence of such case since that.

Last edited by invisible; Nov 4, 2015 at 4:53 am
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by invisible
It seems that in the history of civil aviation, there were only four occurrences of bomb in cargo hold:

Air India Flight 182
Pan Am Flight 103
UTA Flight 772
Avianca Flight 203

Last three happened in 1989 and there was no single occurrence of such case since that.
There have been more than that. That's just a fraction of civilian planes that have had bombs in cargo holds.

Or do you just mean passenger airline service where the plane was destroyed by a bomb during the flight?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by haddon90
while i'm no engineer, since the tail piece broke off and is the suspect of the decompression, would have been impossible for pieces to go in front of the engines and then sucked back in.
I'm not suggesting that material from the tail went into the engines but rather pieces from areas of the plane forward of the engines. I'm envisioning the decompression not just blowing the tail off but causing other parts of the plane to break apart as well. I think that's what happened in the China Airlines incident. (The wikipedia entry says "Radar data suggests that the aircraft broke into four pieces while at FL350.") I don't think it would take a very large piece to cause the engine to flare up as it did in the birdstrike test video. Just a theory. Just wondering if there can be a non-bomb non-strike reason for the satellite to detect a flash of heat.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:07 am

Remember the bump in altitude before the Metrojet started to plummet? I was just reading about China Airlines 611. Here's what the wikipedia entry says: "The flight data recorder from Flight 611 shows that the plane began gaining altitude at a significantly faster rate in the 27 seconds before the plane broke apart, although the extra gain in altitude was well within the plane's design limits. The plane was supposed to be leveling off as it approached its cruising altitude of 35,000 feet."

If the cabin began to decompress slowly at first, could that somehow account for an increase in altitude? I realize that the pilots would want to descend, not ascend, but is there some kind of physical phenomenon that would occur which would cause the aircraft to ascend until the pilots realize what's happening and try to take corrective action?

(added later) Flightradar24 is saying that the altitude data is probably unreliable during that bump period because of the type of sensor. http://www.flightradar24.com/blog/me...-data-decoded/ Perhaps the same thing happened with the China Airlines flight, its altitude data came from the flight data recorder. Graphs of Flightradar24's data can be seen here: http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ml#post9168286

Last edited by UrbanDweller; Nov 4, 2015 at 7:34 am Reason: new info
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Or do you just mean passenger airline service where the plane was destroyed by a bomb during the flight?
Yes, that's correct.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller
Remember the bump in altitude before the Metrojet started to plummet? I was just reading about China Airlines 611. Here's what the wikipedia entry says: "The flight data recorder from Flight 611 shows that the plane began gaining altitude at a significantly faster rate in the 27 seconds before the plane broke apart, although the extra gain in altitude was well within the plane's design limits. The plane was supposed to be leveling off as it approached its cruising altitude of 35,000 feet."

If the cabin began to decompress slowly at first, could that somehow account for an increase in altitude? I realize that the pilots would want to descend, not ascend, but is there some kind of physical phenomenon that would occur which would cause the aircraft to ascend until the pilots realize what's happening and try to take corrective action?
On the B747..Probable loss of hydraulic fluid to the horizontal stabilizers from the lines being severed in the moments before the plane disintegrated..as the crack propagated from STA2100 area, it was significant enough to pull the tubing apart..the plane would immediately lose trim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.