Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

SU, UN, S7 and others will be banned from flying to Ukraine from 25/10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB

Ukraine officials announced today that about 25 Russian airlines, including Aeroflot, Transaero and S7 will be banned from flying to Ukraine from October 25. UTAir (UT) is the only major Russian airline not in the list.

Russian officials are expected to come with a similar measure, banning Ukraine International (PS) and possibly other Ukrainian airlines from flying into Russia.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Temedar
Ukraine officials announced today that about 25 Russian airlines, including Aeroflot, Transaero and S7 will be banned from flying to Ukraine from October 25. UTAir (UT) is the only major Russian airline not in the list.

Russian officials are expected to come with a similar measure, banning Ukraine International (PS) and possibly other Ukrainian airlines from flying into Russia.
Big OUCH for me. SVO to PRG/CDG/AMS to KBP now I guess if I want to keep it all on SkyTeam. Wonder why UT gets a pass....
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woody125
Wonder why UT gets a pass....
Either because they don't fly to Crimea or because they have a (rather small) daughter airline in Ukraine.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by woody125
Big OUCH for me. SVO to PRG/CDG/AMS to KBP now I guess if I want to keep it all on SkyTeam. Wonder why UT gets a pass....
Was just looking at an itinerary through PRG....and...3 stops. Nope.

O/H
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
O/H
SVO to AMS to KBP I guess. 8hr 30min to go just over an hour. Sigh....
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:10 am

Now is mutual.

Russia bans Ukrainian airlines from using its airspace starting from Oct. 25

Source (Sept. 29, 2015, Interfax - Ukraine) :
http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukra...25-398897.html
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Considering the United States now has an open skies agreement with Ukraine, it might be time for delta to resume JFK-KBP, ( with continuing service to SVO) or for United to restart IAD-DME ( with continuing service to KBP)

Yeah right

I'm sure the folks in Atlanta ( or Chicago) would if they could make it work. US airlines long for monopolies and exclusive rights. The irony....
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:00 pm

Ukraine Intl. currently fly's KBP - JFK route so no real monopoly just some what better service if Delta or United were to add the route !
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Russian authorities won't give a US airline 5th freedom on KBP-MOW
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Temedar
Russian authorities won't give a US airline 5th freedom on KBP-MOW
One can dream. Its a money making opportunity for a non Ukranian or Russian carrier to do 5th Freedom. ( short flight, plenty of demand)

Ukraine has open skies agreements with the US and EU. The Russian authorities on the other hand...oh well.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:53 am

UTair will now also be included in the ban starting Oct. 25:

http://www.rbc.ru/business/12/10/201...928a?from=main
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Now UT is gone....never thought I'd be so happy that Belavia exists..
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by chacoun
Now UT is gone....never thought I'd be so happy that Belavia exists..
I like B2. Just hate that there's no SkyTeam earning possibilities (yet) through it. I am watching news in Belarus closely to see if they might take advantage of the chance to ease up on the transiting rules through MSQ. From SVO to Kiev/Lviv/Dnepropetrovsk would be great for me. They have said they might increase the number of flights to Kiev but without some considerations for transiting more easily that won't help.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard

O/H
czech airlines fly to kiev ?

Or why not flying by waw , msq or vno ???
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:47 am
Suspended

I got caught in this massive wave of ......... I found out about it 12 hours ago, 12 hours before I depart from Russia for Kiev and I return to Russia to catch an intercontinental after the ban starts.

They just flat out cancelled my return flight.

They are offering me a 30% refund for cancelling half my flight. -or- full refund before departure. But I don't have any options because I have to get out due to visa running out.

Options presented to me are:

1. They will cancel half my ticket and give me a 30% refund. Nice of them.
2. They will cancel all of my ticket and strand me in Russia with my visa expiring, and then I'll be dealing with Russian immigration in about 24 hours.
3. If I pay the change fee plus fare difference for a last minute ticket, they will book me on another carrier. So nice of them.

This sets a new low for my experiences with airlines.

As far as I understand it this is a violation of IATA rules. God knows how one can make them apply to Russia, but Aeroflot is a member of the IATA.

These are the rules:

--------

10.2 Cancellation, Changes of Schedule, etc.
If due to circumstances beyond its control Carrier cancels or delays a flight, is unable to provide previously confirmed space, fails to stop at a passenger's stopover or destination point, or causes the passenger to miss a connecting flight an which the passenger holds a reservation, Carrier shall either:

10.2.1 carry the passenger an another of its scheduled passenger services an which space is available; or

10.2.2 reroute the passenger to the destination indicated on the ticket or applicable portion thereof by its own scheduled services or the scheduled services of another carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the fare, excess baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the ticket or applicable portion thereof, Carrier shall require no additional fare or charge from the passenger,

-------

It's their responsibility to rebook me on another airline, and to charge me a change fee and fare difference after cancelling the ticket is really against the rules.

Anyone know where I need to take this to escalate?

Last edited by nihonto; Oct 15, 2015 at 4:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.