Transaero - I dont get it...

Old Aug 21, 15, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Transaero - I dont get it...

I fly transaero quite often, and I just cant understand how they've been successful.

Their on the ground operations are a comedy. Last time the check-in agent sent me to the cash-desk to pay for overweight baggage, the cash desk sent me to a payment terminal, and the payment terminal told me that my baggage was not overweight so I didn't need to pay anything. I'm good with that of course, but this type of chaos is typical.

Their website stinks. They just relaunched their FF program portal, and the mess-ups are astounding. There are loads of spelling mistakes in English (right on the front page: "Sing Up")... this is a major company, surely they can find some competent people just to check the English, or even outsource it to a translation agency, there are loads of them in Russia. And the English registration form requires to you enter your name both in English and in Russian... a very stupid requirement given that the user switched to the English registration page probably because they don't speak Russian. And there are loads of other stupid things, like the online check-in which only works with the ticket number but not the PNR.

The onboard experience is a bit better but usually not great... I often find the cabin is not very clean unless it is a very new aircraft. And the pitch is horrible, in economy there is really very little space. The business class is far inferior to Aeroflot's.

The one thing I really cannot understand is their safety record. With all the poor work in other areas, I'm sure that their safety record is mostly just good luck.

So I'm just complaining a bit because I'm going to need to fly them again next week and I'm not looking forward to it. (Going to Kazakhstan from Moscow and unfortunately there are not many options for this route... I wish Aeroflot would manage to get permission to fly to Kazakhstan...)

PS. A friend of mine in the Russian airline industry tells me that Transaero are bleeding money horribly now, and they will almost certainly need a government bailout. And a condition for the bailout will be replacing leased Boeings and Airbuses with Sukhoi Superjets, FWIW...
Old Aug 21, 15, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by lewinr View Post
PS. A friend of mine in the Russian airline industry tells me that Transaero are bleeding money horribly now, and they will almost certainly need a government bailout.
Exactly, their financials are pretty bad.
Originally Posted by lewinr View Post
And a condition for the bailout will be replacing leased Boeings and Airbuses with Sukhoi Superjets, FWIW...
Not a chance. They might replace some older 737s with Superjets, but not the new A321s and surely not the 747 jumbos.

As for their success - they are cheap, way cheaper than SU on most routes. They have a very attractive partnership with several banks. $20K spend (or even less at current forex rates) gets you a round-trip award ticket from Moscow to New York or Bangkok IN BUSINESS CLASS. You're right that their J is worse than SU's, but I'll need to spend close to $80K on my Aeroflot CC to get a similar award.
Old Aug 21, 15, 3:59 pm

Transaero's core business I believe is transporting a very large number of people on very heavy jets to sunny and warm places, usually on package holidays.

I was in Turkey a few weeks ago, and landed from Istanbul at Dalaman Airport. The place I was going to was 60 km away, far, far away from the package holiday crowd.

When I arrived at Dalaman Airport, the plane next to us was a Transaero 747-400 that just arrived from VKO. I flew in from Petersburg but made a stop at IST. When the plane arrived multiple sets of stairs had to be sent, it looked like there were at least 500 or people on that plane. Mother, Father, Grandmothers, Uncle Yuri, children etc etc.....they all came out of the plane and headed to tour buses. Like of mob of ants. Seriously I have never seen so many people come out of a 747, that must be a seriously high density configuration. Probably all Y class?

I've seen similar large planes in Phuket, Bali, Cancun. Operated by UN.

That said, the business of transporting Russians on package holidays must not be doing so well, not with the Ruble currently at 68 to the dollar and inflation at near 10%.

As for the bailout, I'm not sure how the Sukhoi Superjet is going to transport 500 people a time to Turkey, Egypt, Mexico, etc. They would have to complete rethink their business plan / model.

Last edited by meFIRST; Aug 21, 15 at 4:06 pm
Old Aug 22, 15, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Temedar View Post
They might replace some older 737s with Superjets, but not the new A321s and surely not the 747 jumbos.
Originally Posted by meFIRST View Post
As for the bailout, I'm not sure how the Sukhoi Superjet is going to transport 500 people a time to Turkey, Egypt, Mexico, etc. They would have to complete rethink their business plan / model.
I didn't get into details with my friend but I doubt that he meant they would be required to replace all their aircraft... probably really just the 737s and small Airbus aircraft. Certainly the Superjet cannot replace the 747-400 and Sukhoi even couldn't build enough of them in the short term to satisfy such a requirement.
Old Aug 22, 15, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meFIRST View Post
Transaero's core business I believe is transporting a very large number of people on very heavy jets to sunny and warm places, usually on package holidays.
I'm not sure about that... their charter business is big but they also have hundreds of scheduled flights, both domestic and international.
Old Aug 22, 15, 9:14 am

Programs: SQ - KrisFlyer
What are the cabins like? Many of the bigger AC such as the 777's and 747's are used from various other airlines. Do they have their own seats or use the seats of the previous operators?
Old Aug 22, 15, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
Do they have their own seats or use the seats of the previous operators?
It depends. J on most wide-body planes is from the fomer operators, so you get SQ regional 2-3-2 on 777 long-haul routes, etc.
Old Aug 22, 15, 3:57 pm

I can only speak of my very limited one off UN experience :

The F "Imperial" is basically AI's old seat, repurposed.
On the 747, its old SR ( now LX) with new upholstery.

The service on board is UN's on invention. Imperial porcelain china from SpB and catering from Cafe Pushkin back when it was popular. I noticed the imperial china, because i have the same pattern at home!

Of course, this was back when the Ruble was 30 to the dollar and before food sanctions. They UN did try very hard, but not as polished as SU, imho the food selection was plentiful and high quality, the wines were kind of so so. The menu was kind of funny, they handed me the English menu, but I noticed the Russian menu, the translation was not entirely correct.

The F imperial fare was good value if you booked directly from the UN site. The higher tier J class fares were basically F class buy up.

Back then all the flights left from DME. UN had a nice lounge there. Not sure if it still exists.

I didn't venture into the other cabins .That said, I can't imagine what flying UN in Y is like, I would for my travelling sanity pick SU, S7 in that order where possible.
Old Aug 26, 15, 8:33 am

Bloomberg: Airbus delays A380 delivery to Transaero, "working on determining new dates".
Old Aug 26, 15, 10:52 am

Programs: SQ - KrisFlyer
Hmm Airbus making the delay not Transaero...
Old Aug 26, 15, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
Hmm Airbus making the delay not Transaero...
No, written between the lines of the release you can understand that Airbus is doing it because either Transaero cannot pay or bookings have fallen and they cannot justify it (same thing)...

Airbus Group SE has postponed the delivery of its A380 superjumbo to Transaero Airlines in order to help the No. 2 Russian carrier cope with slowing travel demand in its home market, a senior sales executive at the planemaker said.

Transaero is buying four A380s, initially slated for delivery from this year. A new schedule is under discussion as lower oil prices and sanctions over Russia’s annexation of Crimea weigh on the economy and ruble, crimping flight bookings.

“We’re working with them to determine new dates,” Chris Buckley, Airbus’s executive vice president for customer affairs, said Wednesday in an interview at the Moscow Air Show. “Given the turbulence in the Russian market overall over the last two years, this is no big surprise.”
Old Sep 1, 15, 7:29 am

Programs: OWE(BA),*A G(TK E+),Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors D
Aeroflot will obtain 75%+1 share of Transaero if their(Aeroflot)board of directors will accept it.
Old Sep 1, 15, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

yes, saw that today also.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ggest-airlines

My friend also said "In case Transaero will not get a bail-out, Aeroflot will probably buy them..."
Old Sep 27, 15, 10:39 am

Programs: AA ExP, AS MVP Gold, TK Gold, DL Plat
if you have your Transaero flight coming in near future it's good time to check if it's not cancelled yet. Bunch of cancellations and schedule changes, notification alerts are inconsistent, all DME flights are being transferred to VKO. Rebooking on Aeroflot is a bit of a hassle, but at least they offer a full refund. happy flying!
Old Oct 3, 15, 7:44 am

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
A shame the airline with the best (worst)
will soon disappear!

Search this Thread