Recommend a carryon bag for a newbie

Old Jul 8, 15, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Recommend a carryon bag for a newbie

Flying LAX to SVO with Aeroflot in September. First time to Europe! Staying in Riga for 10 days, and would like to travel with only a carryon and not risk losing any checked baggage. Can anyone link me a specific carryon bag that they've used with Aeroflot without any problems? Most I've found online won't meet their tight dimension restrictions. Thanks !
Old Jul 8, 15, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Usually SU does not strictly enforce the carry-on size limits.
Old Jul 9, 15, 3:23 am

Programs: SU
For my weekend Europe getaways I have been getting into arguments with the SU FAs about my 21" Delsey because it takes up so much space in the overhead. But I don't want to wait 30-40 minutes for my bag hit the carousel.

It's never been an issue to bring my luggage and backback on board for TATL flights to LAX or JFK.

And welcome to the forum!
Old Jul 9, 15, 4:42 pm

Russian aviation has many "rules" that I think are very consumer friendly from the Yeltsin era. Meals on board, free checked bags.....this is all a distant memory in the US and EU. And until recently, the ability to change reservations / refund for next to nothing.

We won't talk about that US owned discount airline operating in Russia that got raided / shut down. I forgot the name.
Old Jul 9, 15, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Flying LAX to SVO with Aeroflot in September. First time to Europe! Staying in Riga for 10 days, and would like to travel with only a carryon and not risk losing any checked baggage. Can anyone link me a specific carryon bag that they've used with Aeroflot without any problems? Most I've found online won't meet their tight dimension restrictions. Thanks !
I have an older, crappier version of this. Never had a problem with it fitting in the overhead for either long haul or short haul.

A word to the wise: I have had the odd time at check in where someone tries to make an issue of weight. It's always been under, except for once time when the check-in dragon was applying the coach allowance, when I was flying business. I stood my ground, he double checked and then apologized, which I graciously accepted.

Other than that, you shouldn't run into any trouble.

O/H
Old Jul 12, 15, 5:50 am

Programs: SU Gold
I've never seen any carry-on dimension check on Aeroflot.
Once, being late for drop-off deadline (and having checked-in online), I just brought 3 bags in cabin, two of them being small roller bags.
But you might want to board early to make sure your bag gets into overhead easily.
Old Jul 12, 15, 5:56 am

Programs: SU Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST View Post
We won't talk about that US owned discount airline operating in Russia that got raided / shut down. I forgot the name.
You probably mean Avianova.
Now Aeroflot has its own budget offshoot called Pobeda, which charges for both checked in and carry-on baggage, with some exceptions.
But you can't run into it with an Aeroflot ticket.

Search this Thread