FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Russia-Based Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia-based-airlines-703/)
-   -   S7 Treatment of OW Emerald (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia-based-airlines/1382290-s7-treatment-ow-emerald.html)

dparkinson Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am

S7 Treatment of OW Emerald

How does S7 treat OW Emerald members? Priority seats or just the standard OW benefits?

iridge Aug 31, 2012 11:19 am

Originally Posted by dparkinson (Post 19216543)
How does S7 treat OW Emerald members? Priority seats or just the standard OW benefits?

+1

I also would be curious to hear other's experiences on S7 on this topic. Their fares seem to be much higher than SU but would like to give them a try if for no other reason but the OW benefits :)

homelyboy Aug 31, 2012 1:05 pm

S7 does not have First class, so I guess the last two rows from this table are simply not applicable. However, as a Sapphire member I always get what is promised.

But not a bit more than that. From my experience they never upgrade except their own elites.

ivnikol Aug 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Have a recent experience (after Status Match from BMI to BA).
I am Sapphire and my wife is Emerald

1. DME-BOJ in Z class (cheapest economy) - myself being upgraded. I sent wife with infant to my upgraded seat.

2. VAR-DME. I get upgrade, but it was only nice seat. Meal was standard economy for all pax. I asked FA, and she told that this flight is single class flight.

So, for me two upgrades in four flights, not bad. :)

my wife will fly in a week with two kids back from BOJ. I will post details.

meFIRST Sep 3, 2012 1:50 pm

S7 upgrades? . I'm surprised. The siberian routes to oil destinations tend to be full up front. The planes do not have that many Business class seats to begin with.

I'm flying "R" class. its economy but not the cheapest economy next week. Its a short flight, so I opted not to pay for Business.

chalf Sep 7, 2012 5:28 pm

I am BA G, and flew S7 last week. I was given a lounge voucher at check-in at DME (did not get to use it, as my incoming flight was too delayed), and sat in the exit row without asking. The flight also posted to BA EC almost immediately.

All American Flyer Sep 14, 2012 1:04 pm

I flew S7 from LED-DME recently as an AA Exec Plat (OW Emerald). No priority counters at check- in. Of course lounge access but no upgrades, priority baggage handling or special recognition. Not a great carrier if you ask me

asnovici Sep 14, 2012 4:33 pm

S7 in Frankfurt

Does S7 insist on their Business passengers using Sky Lounge in FRA? I am also a OneWorld Emerald and have been to Sky Lounge before, its a rather sad affair and I would much rather prefer to go to Sakura lounge nearby using my status. Any experiences doing that?

Also, do S7 flights in FRA usually board through a jet bridge or a remote stand? What about DME arrival?

Do they distribute DigiPlayers in Business like SU does?

Cheers

meFIRST Sep 23, 2012 4:09 am

Originally Posted by All American Flyer (Post 19315977)
I flew S7 from LED-DME recently as an AA Exec Plat (OW Emerald). No priority counters at check- in. Of course lounge access but no upgrades, priority baggage handling or special recognition. Not a great carrier if you ask me

Did you go to the business class counter? Its hidden, IMHO not easy to find at DME. DME can be a confusing place. Its in the middle left, I think somewhere between counter 80-90 I think. Its normally two dedicated counters, usually with no lines

I just flew to/from Siberia to DME, in general I got what was promised

- Business class check in
- Business class lounge invitation (not just at Domodedovo and Novobrisk, but other places too)
- Business class handling, transfer by bus to the airplane, business class boarding. In russia, the style is business class pax board last. This may drive some people crazy, but its the way it used to be in Asia. I actually prefer it
- Priority tag
- In Y : Got a seat in the front section of the plane, and my choice of seat
- in J : First meal choice

To the original poster - upgrades are not part of the deal. No one in Oneworld will do that ;)

MaximusDamon Sep 24, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm a OW Emerald and flew on a domestic S7 flight on Saturday from DME-AER. I was directed to the Business Class check in counter in DME (had originally gone to Economy check in). Was offered an invitation to the lounge, but no upgrade (didn't expect it). Had already done online check in and selected a seat near the front. Flight was full in Economy and empty in business. Didn't check a bag. Didn't experience any kind of elite boarding. Flight was fine, though very hot in the cabin and the food was terrible. No miles posted as yet.

All American Flyer Sep 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by meFIRST (Post 19367797)
Did you go to the business class counter? Its hidden, IMHO not easy to find at DME. DME can be a confusing place. Its in the middle left, I think somewhere between counter 80-90 I think. Its normally two dedicated counters, usually with no lines

I just flew to/from Siberia to DME, in general I got what was promised

- Business class check in
- Business class lounge invitation (not just at Domodedovo and Novobrisk, but other places too)
- Business class handling, transfer by bus to the airplane, business class boarding. In russia, the style is business class pax board last. This may drive some people crazy, but its the way it used to be in Asia. I actually prefer it
- Priority tag
- In Y : Got a seat in the front section of the plane, and my choice of seat
- in J : First meal choice

To the original poster - upgrades are not part of the deal. No one in Oneworld will do that ;)

My check-in experience was at LED so there were only two counters (both just general ones). I didn't get a 'Priority' seat in coach but I didn't bother to reserve that in advance

asnovici Nov 1, 2012 4:15 pm

S7 FRA-DME Business as OW Emerald

Mini trip report:

S7 900 FRA-DME Sep 28, 2012

Checked in at T2 in FRA, desks are not easy to find unless you know the layout of the terminal. From the entrance, walk to the farthest left.

One check in desk for Business, one for Economy, a couple of people in line at each, Business queue is cleary not patrolled. Checked-in quickly by a friendly German agent (not S7 staff), asked for the seat next to me to be blocked, was handled with a smile. Meanwhile, agent at Economy desk was yelling something to me in German (I dont speak it), I asked her to speak English, she frowned even more and told me I need to leave the lounge in time for the flight because the gate is after the security. Not sure why she had to yell at me at all about this. She had a prewritten invitation to the Sky Lounge for me and handed it to me while still looking upset. Perhaps they get a lot of Business passengers late for the flight because of the lounge location, not sure. A more polite tone would be appreciated. A Russian S7 station manager was standing behind the check in desks the entire time.

My bag was tagged with Priority tag and off I went through Passport control (no priority, long lines). S7 flights depart from D pier, thats where Sky Lounge is located on the way to security but before one actually goes through security. Having been to Sky Lounge many times before when it was still a Delta Sky Club, and not being overly impressed, I headed to JAL Sakura Lounge. The receptionist clearly does not see many S7 passengers, and was confused why I was there. When I pointed out my Emerald status and Business class boarding pass, she was all smiles and told apologized the First Class side of the lounge would not be open until 4pm and let me in to the Business Class side. The lounge was a zoo, limited alcoholic beverages, very poor food selection (nuts, some stale sandwiches and frankfurters that ran out quickly). After a vodka diet or two it was time to head to security. A guy at security demanded I take my sweater off, told him I have my undershirt only and not comfortable prancing in my underwear around the security checkpoint. He demanded again, raising his voice, I countered with the same. He waved me through. Idiots are not exclusive to TSA.

S7 departs from D7, bus gate. Boarding started a bit late, we were on the bus, despite S7 promises of a dedicated bus for Business passengers everyone was shoved onto the same bus, no big deal. Got to the plane and was met with a non-smiling FA. Found my seat in 1A on the former NW A319, seats were the same as on NW, just different upholstery, two rows of 4 seats in real (US First class) Business layout. Business was 6 our 8 with the seat next to me remaining empty, coach was pretty full.

No IFE in flight, despite S7 promising DigiPlayers for Business passengers.

Pre departure beverages were offered in real glasses but on strange looking paper towels instead of proper napkins. Choices were orange juice or water. When I asked about champagne was told no champagne is available on board. Interesting. Purser was working in the galley, the younger flight attendant in Business cabin spoke almost no English. No menus offered, they brought mixed nuts (cold in a ramekin) with aperetif, then they just brought the starter (dont remember what it was but it was some kind of smoked checken meat and some cheese), then they brought out a tray with 3 hot options to show each Business passenger so we could pick one. Hot entree was fine but served in a foil casalette a la coach, but placed on a porcelain tray for Business customers. When I asked what wine they have, was told red or white, when pressing further and asking what kind of red, the FA responded "I think its dry." Fabulous. Could have brought the bottle to show me but instead just brought a glass of that conspicuous wine. It was below average.

Asked for diet coke, none was availble. Asked for diet Pepsi, none was available, asked for anything without sugar, was told they only have regular Pepsi. Asked for soda water, was told none was available, but they had carbonated water instead, close enough. Asked for a stirrer or a straw for my lemon in my drink, none was available. Stirred it with my finger, classy. One has to really specify you want ice, then you may get a cube or two, but thats pretty tipical for European carriers. Dessert was never offered to me, but was offered to a girl in 1F. Not sure why I wasn't deemed worthy. I was the only non-Russian speaking in the cabin, seems that the airline as a whole caters to Russian speaking passengers and completely forgets that some other countries may speak other languages.

Landed in DME on time, another bus to the terminal, another full bus with no dedicated bus for Business passengers. Why promise services they dont deliver?

Overall, it feels like a bunch of people decided to play like they a real international airline and OW was desperate for a Russian carrier. Not quite at OW levels of service, but not awful, just amature. Not even close to SU in terms of service, SU being a clear leader in Business for flights to Russia. I would put S7 above AB just because they have Business class on short and mediumhaul (albeit a sad one at that), but they have a long way to go to become a real quality carrier. Unless I have to, I will try to take BA or IB to Moscow.

BizBuzzBee Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Have a DME to Omsk coming up in economy I'm BA Gold, do they give extra baggage allowance or is that just for S7 elites? Similarly how strict are they on hand baggage especially weight at 6kg and 1 piece?

iridge Dec 14, 2012 10:59 am

Originally Posted by BizBuzzBee (Post 19831098)
Have a DME to Omsk coming up in economy I'm BA Gold, do they give extra baggage allowance or is that just for S7 elites? Similarly how strict are they on hand baggage especially weight at 6kg and 1 piece?

Haven't flown that specific route but in general S7 does abide by OneWorld rules of 2 pieces up to 32Kg for elites even in coach. As for carry-on never had anyone weigh it as long as it looks of appropriate dimensions.

Andriyko Jan 7, 2013 5:29 am

asnovici, I am surprised with your experience. I flew S7 in business class from DME to KBP a few months ago and had a wonderful experience. Full bar upon boarding (maybe due to ex-DME departure?); I think I had at least 2 glasses of wine before the door even closed. The FAs were very friendly and nice. Food options were presented on real china; and food was good for such a short flight. Dedicated buses for me as the only J pax at both DME and KBP.