Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Experience with Aeroflot? Good, Bad and Ugly

Experience with Aeroflot? Good, Bad and Ugly

Old Aug 23, 19, 7:26 pm

Programs: SU GOLD, BA GOLD , SQ PPS. RIP: UA 1999-2015 EY Partners 2006-2017, LH SEN 2006-2018
Originally Posted by hessbo View Post

yes, Aeroflot bonus gold.
Aeroflot do at times offer paid upgrades from Y to J. Pricing depends on the day. Check online or call to see how much it is (I believe online is only available if ticket is booked via Aeroflot website/call center; IIRC the upgrade otter opens 72 hours before the flight and is closed as soon as you check in).

SU will op up their own frequent flyers first, before venturing out. So in my experience and SU silver will get an OP before Club 2000 / Skipper / Delta 360 which is meaningless to SU.

Often this happens in advance, I got mine at check in but lately SU has been better about monitizing this as opposed to giving it away, as cited in the examples.
hessbo likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 5:49 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
On my recent flight in business class from Milan to Malta with Alitalia (BGY-FCO-MLA-FCO-MXP) I ended up with 6,000 Flying Blue miles in all. My friend, who is an Aeroflot Bonus member, received some miles a lot later (about 2 weeks) and only got 387 miles, which surely must be wrong. I will wait for one month then do a retroclaim for her. Is it possible to do it directly from the Aeroflot Bonus site, or is it a question of sending in the boarding passes?
Old Oct 2, 19, 9:44 am

Aeroflot Economy Class Review

Three days before my trip I called and asked about upgrade options. For DUS-SVO they were asking 410 and for SVO-BKK 800, too much so I declined. The flight ended up with around 2h45 delay so I was glad I had lounge access. I thought Aeroflot had good time keeping, but obviously not.

The SVO-BKK flight itself was really awful, despite me being used to economy class travel. Stuck back in 44D on the A330-300, the penultimate row, there was simply not enough legroom and it was a total crush. I have no problems with being in economy, but airlines like CZ and MU totally outpace SU in terms of comfort. There is no way I would ever book SU again, because the tight pitch is way below acceptable for my legs. That is assuming the pitch in all SU planes is the same miserable dogbox mousetrap as this flight.

I was surrounded by people whom I really would not want to spend more time with than necessary (not many Russians) and tempers were getting a bit frayed between some passengers, in some cases due to seats being "kicked from behind" which I am sure can be attributed to the lack of space, but probably annoyance due to the 2h45 delay as well. The IFE was a piece of 90s trash as well, half the screens didn't work (although apparently you can download their app and stream content on their WiFi connection).

Positives: the Russian crew worked really hard and were always friendly, never treating you like a nuisance if you went back to the galley for water or a snack (hello AA, UA). Real paper menus were distributed by hand and the meal service was decent enough, although I don't know why they bothered with a choice of menu because there was only one choice, chicken and bulgur, by the time the trolley reached row 44. At least there were regular water and juice runs. There was a small amenity kit with decent slippers, good hand cream (a nice thought), ear plugs and eye mask, and disposable toothbrushes were in the toilets. The seatbelt sign went on a couple of times, but those two or three passengers who desperately needed the toilet were not treated like criminals by the FAs (hello Air Canada).

So, there is a lot to like here and if they just improved the legroom by a couple of inches I wouldn't hesitate to fly economy again. As a final note, the DUS-SVO flight was excellent and charming for its old world quality and decent food service.
hessbo likes this.

Last edited by Concerto; Oct 2, 19 at 9:54 am
Old Nov 4, 19, 3:15 pm

Is it possible to collect flight segments on other SkyTeam carriers, namely Alitalia, Air France, KLM and AirEuropa, in order to count towards status qualification with Aeroflot Bonus? With other SkyTeam programs, for example Flying Blue and SUMA, any flight on a SkyTeam carrier counts towards the number of flights needed to gain/renew status. I have a feeling this is not the case with Aeroflot Bonus, but I am hoping to be proved wrong.
Old Nov 4, 19, 9:16 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Is it possible to collect flight segments on other SkyTeam carriers, namely Alitalia, Air France, KLM and AirEuropa, in order to count towards status qualification with Aeroflot Bonus? With other SkyTeam programs, for example Flying Blue and SUMA, any flight on a SkyTeam carrier counts towards the number of flights needed to gain/renew status. I have a feeling this is not the case with Aeroflot Bonus, but I am hoping to be proved wrong.
Yes, it's possible for Silver and Gold status, tried with Alitalia, Air Europa, KLM and Korean.
I haven't flown business on other Skyteam carriers, so not sure if this works for Platinum status which requires business segments.
Old Nov 5, 19, 6:07 am

Well, as it looks like we're going to lose Alitalia and AirEuropa some time in the near future, then that leaves a lot less options in Europe. Any experiences with Air France segments counting?

Search this Thread