Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeroflot, cash upgrade at check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

HeyHey

Was wondering if Aeroflot offered upgrades to Business class at check in still and at what cost? Flying Moscow-Shanghai in December and was curious. Flight looks empty right now, so I may just hold out for my own row in Coach but wanted to gauge options.

Thanks!

fw
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by faithwins
HeyHey

Was wondering if Aeroflot offered upgrades to Business class at check in still and at what cost? Flying Moscow-Shanghai in December and was curious. Flight looks empty right now, so I may just hold out for my own row in Coach but wanted to gauge options.

Thanks!

fw
Not on a single flight in at least 10 years. I fly both Transatlantic and IntraEuropean with them, Have not done Asian flights with SU but doubt very much they would offer a cash upgrade at the check-in, unless you actually buy-up to the Business fare.

They are big on protecting the integrity of the premium cabins for the past several years.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:25 pm

HeyHey

Thanks!

fw
When I flew from NRT-SVO-AMS last month, I was asked if I was interested in upgrading. If I remember it right, the fee changes depending on the fare class. But in my case, (V class), it was 700 Euros. No harm to ask them upon check-in.

Oh, and they had the cash upgrade chart for how much it would cost on each fare class. So I am sure this is a published service.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by tokioblue
When I flew from NRT-SVO-AMS last month, I was asked if I was interested in upgrading. If I remember it right, the fee changes depending on the fare class. But in my case, (V class), it was 700 Euros. No harm to ask them upon check-in.

Oh, and they had the cash upgrade chart for how much it would cost on each fare class. So I am sure this is a published service.
Thats exactly the upcharge from fare purchased to the discounted business, so really you will end up paying business class fare.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:25 am

Programs: flying blue platinum aeroflot gold china airlines gold SPG platinum
Yes but no extra bonus miles its th same as KLM except they do it inflight. Aeroflot has this service on some routes usually imtercontinantl flights
Old Sep 3, 2012, 1:49 pm

You're 10 years too late. Aeroflot doesn't do that anymore.

MOW-CHINA is not an expensive route. Transaero can be had for 900+ (US) in each direction. Lots of competition.

Do any of the Russian carriers do cash upgrades?. I would be curious if S7 does.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:35 am

I remember hearing reports from some friends that Aerosvit would do cash "upgrades" for about $50 slipped to the purser after boarding.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by drbobguy
I remember hearing reports from some friends that Aerosvit would do cash "upgrades" for about $50 slipped to the purser after boarding.
Yes, many people have claimed that Aerosvit often does that but then again its J cabin is a complete joke.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
The hundred dollar handshakes at JFK used to work wonders upon boarding. Indeed, the last 12 years have shown that things have progressed. Yes, I call that progress. They really do protect that forward cabin and for good reason. It's a tremendous value.

The phantom domestic upgrades I enjoyed the last 6 or so flights last year went away. Every time they scan my BP, I get giddy thinking a 2A will pop up. No such luck since December of last year though.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by woody125
The hundred dollar handshakes at JFK used to work wonders upon boarding

$100? . I think $200-$300 a least did the trick. 10 years ago
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by meFIRST
$100? . I think $200-$300 a least did the trick. 10 years ago
Exactly, and more towards the higher end of the scale. More like 15 -20 years ago. Now no chance for any of this.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:32 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by asnovici
Exactly, and more towards the higher end of the scale. More like 15 -20 years ago. Now no chance for any of this.
It was $100 when I first saw it work in 93. Flew it regularly 93 to 99 and count 2000 as the beginning of the modern era of SU. It definitely a relic of the past and I'm glad it's gone.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt

It often worked on TATL flights, specifically YYZ-SVO, untiI they pulled out of YYZ. I tried it on SVO-FRU last year and was told flat out by the purser to not try it anymore, as they are cleaning up their image, with undercover inspectors flying on many routes.

With that in mind, I'm going to do that same leg next week, with an obscure airline, as its twice cheaper and has a better schedule, so no reason to spend money on SU.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Last time that a Ben Franklin got me into a front cabin on SU was in 2003 on LAX-SVO... since then have not flown SU to Moscow till 2009 but things have changed a lot by then. in 2003 I would not even have to ask, when the gate agents saw the Blue passport instead of a red one... they would offer an upgrade themselves as the J cabin was quite lite back then. Ahhh the good old days of russian aviation...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
Originally Posted by iridge
Ahhh the good old days of russian aviation...
Yah, and now it's a world of adherence to ISO quality management procedures, international standards and wars between mega carriers. Many of the regionals will now die quickly, because of new regulations prohibiting the use of older, domestic aircraft for regional service routes....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.