Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card new benefit: annual free night award to cover 50K points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton credit card new benefit: annual free night award to cover 50K points?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Current terms (today), you get Platinum status (there is only one Platinum level today). The new/upcoming terms, there are two Platinum levels; shouldn't RC Visa get higher Platinum level? Current terms, RC Visa is given top level for $75K spend.
I don't understand what you're asking. Currently you get gold for 10K spend, platinum for 75K. With the August changes, you get gold for free, platinum for 75K, same as the SPG luxury card. However, the new gold is similar to the existing silver, and the new platinum is similar to the existing gold, so it's a one level drop for each. You have to spend 75K to get status similar to what currently requires a spend of 10K. In the new program, no credit card gives you the platinum premier tier.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Jet Blue, UAL, IH G Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I don't understand what you're asking. Currently you get gold for 10K spend, platinum for 75K. With the August changes, you get gold for free, platinum for 75K, same as the SPG luxury card. However, the new gold is similar to the existing silver, and the new platinum is similar to the existing gold, so it's a one level drop for each. You have to spend 75K to get status similar to what currently requires a spend of 10K. In the new program, no credit card gives you the platinum premier tier.
Can I ask where you got this information? I have asked Customer Service about this and they still have no definitive explanation about whether Ritz Gold as earned by the credit card will be new (bogus) gold or if it will be Platinum. Different sites have differing opinions. I have seen each of the following recently:

Old Ritz gold becomes new Gold in August.
Old Ritz gold becomes Platinum until February 2019.
Old Ritz Gold becomes Platinum until February 2020 ( but in some cases it says that you must have spent $10,000 for this to apply - although it doesn’t specify over what time period).

I guess I won’t really know until August 26th.

Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MaggieKay

Can I ask where you got this information? I have asked Customer Service about this and they still have no definitive explanation about whether Ritz Gold as earned by the credit card will be new (bogus) gold or if it will be Platinum. Different sites have differing opinions. I have seen each of the following recently:

Old Ritz gold becomes new Gold in August.
Old Ritz gold becomes Platinum until February 2019.
Old Ritz Gold becomes Platinum until February 2020 ( but in some cases it says that you must have spent $10,000 for this to apply - although it doesn’t specify over what time period).

I guess I won’t really know until August 26th.

Are you asking about the existing gold converting in August? My explanation was for earning status going forward. There is no explicit confirmation that the old Ritz gold will become platinum, but there's nothing to suggest otherwise. Marriott's website says all real Ritz and Marriott golds become platinum, only SPG gold migrates to new gold.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Duplicate
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Jet Blue, UAL, IH G Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Are you asking about the existing gold converting in August? My explanation was for earning status going forward. There is no explicit confirmation that the old Ritz gold will become platinum, but there's nothing to suggest otherwise. Marriott's website says all real Ritz and Marriott golds become platinum, only SPG gold migrates to new gold.
i was only referring to gold status that was given just by having the Ritz credit card - not that was earned by actual stays.

Last edited by MaggieKay; Jul 14, 2018 at 8:29 pm Reason: Hit submit by mistake
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Okay, I guess I'm not communicating effectively

1. Currently with $75K spend you get "Platinum" status.
2. When the new program rules take effect later in August, there will now be three platinum leves: Platinum Elite, Platinum Premier Elite and Platinum Premier Elite 100+ nights (each level comes with additional perks than the level immediately below it).

https://members.marriott.com/benefit...S%3D1531622851

So if you currently get MR Platinum (which is now the highest level: Silver, Gold and Platinum), then going forward in the new program, shouldn't one at least be the new Platinum Premier Elite level? I thought the idea was to elevate/reward the $75K spender to the highest member level available. With three new Platinum levels coming, seems like at least the middle Platinum tier should be awarded for the $75K? That new middle level seems to include the closest benefits to the current Platinum level (Silver, Gold and Platinum); anything less would be a downgrade in current benefits.

Hope this makes better sense...

Fozzie

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Jul 14, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:33 pm

So if you currently get MR Platinum (which is now the highest level: Silver, Gold and Platinum), then going forward in the new program, shouldn't one at least be the new Platinum Premier Elite level? I thought the idea was to elevate/reward the $75K spender to the highest member level available.
It would appear that Marriott is not interested in giving out worthwhile status via credit cards anymore. You'll also note that elite qualifying nights are now capped at 15 per account, whereas it used to be permitted to double that if you had a personal and business card.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:38 pm

Okay, I guess I'm not communicating effectively

1. Currently with $75K spend you get "Platinum" status.
2. When the new program rules take effect later in August, there will now be three platinum leves: Platinum Elite, Platinum Premier Elite and Platinum Premier Elite 100+ nights (each level comes with additional perks than the level immediately below it).

https://members.marriott.com/benefit...S%3D1531622851

So if you currently get MR Platinum (which is now the highest level: Silver, Gold and Platinum), then going forward in the new program, shouldn't one at least be the new Platinum Premier Elite level? I thought the idea was to elevate/reward the $75K spender to the highest member level available. With three new Platinum levels coming, seems like at least the middle Platinum tier should be awarded for the $75K? That new middle level seems to include the closest benefits to the current Platinum level (Silver, Gold and Platinum); anything less would be a downgrade in current benefits.

Hope this makes better sense...

Fozzie

If you're currently platinum from spending 75K, it should be that you get migrated to platinum premier in the new program. That will supposedly expire one year from when you met the 75K spend.

Future years where you spend 75K will result in just platinum in the new program, which is not the highest tier. The only way to get the highest tier in the new program (excluding ambassador) is to stay at least 75 nights. Marriott is not handing out the highest tier to anyone by credit card spend anymore.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:54 pm

Thanks!
I haven't received this yet...what does footnote 6 say?

Originally Posted by WorldPalmHand
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:11 pm

Thanks!
I haven't received this yet...what does footnote 6 say?

It says you become Platinum Elite Status thru DEC 31st the following year for each account anniversary you spend $75k.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:21 pm

Thank you. ^

It says you become Platinum Elite Status thru DEC 31st the following year for each account anniversary you spend $75k.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Thanks! Plat Elite per footnote after 75k spend -- that's consistent in maintaining the benefit level from prior --- and a step better than the new SPG card. --- which begs -- any reason SPG card over Ritz where 75k gets you Plat Elite + Silver Status on United?

The points valuation still don't seen as appealing as Chase UR points, but the spend to 75k maybe worthwhile for some folk

Would Plat Elite match over to Hyatt Plat or Mlife?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by montreid
Thanks! Plat Elite per footnote after 75k spend -- that's consistent in maintaining the benefit level from prior --- and a step better than the new SPG card. --- which begs -- any reason SPG card over Ritz where 75k gets you Plat Elite + Silver Status on United?

The points valuation still don't seen as appealing as Chase UR points, but the spend to 75k maybe worthwhile for some folk

Would Plat Elite match over to Hyatt Plat or Mlife?
How is it a step better than the new SPG luxury card? They both give free gold, platinum for 75K. Also it's not maintaining the benefit level because the new platinum status is basically the same as the current gold. No guarantee the new platinum gives United silver either. Under the existing program, platinum requires 75 nights and you get United silver. The new platinum is only 50 nights which is the same as the current gold. It's very likely that you'll need platinum premier to get United silver.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jul 15, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:54 pm

How is it a step better than the new SPG luxury card? They both give free gold, platinum for 75K. Also it's not maintaining the benefit level because the new platinum status is basically the same as the current gold. No guarantee the new platinum gives United silver either. Under the existing program, platinum requires 75 nights and you get United silver. The new platinum is only 50 nights which is the same as the current gold. It's very likely that you'll need platinum premier to get United silver.
Agree with this and everything nexusCFX has mentioned in this thread. With the new changes, the card is giving you complimentary lower status in exchange for the new benefits mentioned above (namely the free 50k point night). Although some have already used this card as a means to get what will be platinum premier (75k spending or in my case, a successful platinum challenge).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.