Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Does new Program include upgrades at RC for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum

Just as it is now, breakfast will not be a benefit at RC hotels for elites. But is it clear to people whether or not Plats and above will now receive any elite benefits, namely, the possibility of upgraded rooms at RC?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti CX SL SQ KFEG
I wonder will lounge benefits for plat applied to the new program with RC
if so, even if no breakfast, simply with lounge access there's still technically a breakfast there
and seeing that RC's lounge are generally good in serving
seems not bad to me
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No lounge for elites and no breakfast benefit either at RC.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Anyone knows what's going to happen to chase certs? Will convert to whatever new tiers but which I guess is the key.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
So technically, even prior to the new program, the RC's were supposed to offer "as available" upgrades to Platinum's. It used to be (up until late 2017) that they only rooms they wouldn't upgrade you to were Club Rooms and Suites. Earlier this year, without any public announcement that I am aware of), they started only excluding Club Rooms (meaning you could now theoretically get an upgrade to a suite). So as I understand it, in the new program, the upgrade policy will be the same, ie only on "as available" basis and excluding Club level.

I will say that in my experience, with is mostly US RC's, they were very stingy with upgrades so I am skeptical that things will change with the new program. In general, SPG Elites as St Regis's seems to have much better upgrade hit rates than Marriott Elites as RCs.

I think the only increased upgrade related benefit from the new program at RC with be the ability to use the Suite Night Awards at a Ritz although I can't find any explicit confirmation that Suite Night Awards with be available at RC's and from reading what the SPG elites on FT say those awards are pretty hard to use as is.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by psyflyer
Anyone knows what's going to happen to chase certs? Will convert to whatever new tiers but which I guess is the key.
From the FAQ on the member website:

I have a Free Night Certificate from a Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card. Can I use it at an SPG hotel (or vice versa) after August?

Members may book a redemption reservation with an existing Free Night Certificate under the current terms up until August 2018, even if the arrival date is after August 2018. Starting in August, any outstanding Certificates will be updated from Category-based to points-based values in the new combined redemption chart and may be used for stays at Rewards or SPG hotels up to the points value displayed on your updated Certificate. For example, you will be able to apply a Marriott Rewards Free Night Certificate to an SPG stay, or an SPG Free Night Award to a Marriott Rewards stay. Ritz-Carlton Rewards Free Night Certificates can also be applied to Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels.
So sounds like the award certs will be converted post 8/1 to point value as opposed to a Category Level. I seem to remember that I read in some other post that the Ritz cert's would convert to 50K points, but don't hold me to that.

If you have a cert my strong advice would be to use it before 8/1 as there's a decent chance a category 4 Ritz will be at least 60K a night, maybe higher.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If one of the hopes for the new program was that elites would get meaningful benefits at RCs, that has apparently gone unfulfilled.

St. Regis and LC properties will continue to be much more attractive options from the elite benefits perspective.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Says who? There wasn't a good answer on this. In the facebook live with Thepointsguy it almost sounded like they are now offering lounge access at Ritz, but TPG foolishly glazed over that comment...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Will RC Singapore and RC Reserve will participate in thew program?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Post #5 above thinks that the SNA will be useable at RC. But I don’t think that is clear. RCs are not specifically excluded, but I am somewhat skeptical. Of course, they could allow the use, but make it nearly never available.

Also, separately, is it clear that Resorts will now provide breakfast for elites?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by HookEm
Post #5 above thinks that the SNA will be useable at RC. But I don’t think that is clear. RCs are not specifically excluded, but I am somewhat skeptical. Of course, they could allow the use, but make it nearly never available.

Also, separately, is it clear that Resorts will now provide breakfast for elites?
I agree with your skepticism but I haven't seen any indication that SNA's won't be, at least technically, usable at RCs yet.,

I just watched a video with the VP of Loyalty at Marriott and he confirmed that breakfast would be available at resorts (at least non-RC resorts). He also confirmed that RC's would not offer lounge/club access. He talked about SNA's and did not say that RC wasn't participating, so I take that as further passive confirmation that SNAs will be usuable at RCs.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by kar don
Says who? There wasn't a good answer on this. In the facebook live with Thepointsguy it almost sounded like they are now offering lounge access at Ritz, but TPG foolishly glazed over that comment...
As for breakfast (per the FAQs): After 50 nights across the portfolio, members will achieve Platinum Elite status. As part of the Platinum Welcome Gift, members will have the option of choosing points, an amenity or a breakfast offering – options vary by brand, and The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments and Design Hotels do not participate in the breakfast offering option. A breakfast offering is new for Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels and resorts. Brands that are currently offering lounge access will continue to offer complimentary breakfast as part of the lounge offering.

https://members.marriott.com/faq/#is...-elite-members
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I agree with your skepticism but I haven't seen any indication that SNA's won't be, at least technically, usable at RCs yet.,

I just watched a video with the VP of Loyalty at Marriott and he confirmed that breakfast would be available at resorts (at least non-RC resorts). He also confirmed that RC's would not offer lounge/club access. He talked about SNA's and did not say that RC wasn't participating, so I take that as further passive confirmation that SNAs will be usuable at RCs.
thanks for clarifying
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:24 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
What about the 5 suite nights for being platinum premier with ambassador? will they apply?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
What about the 5 suite nights for being platinum premier with ambassador? will they apply?
That's what we are talking about when we refer to SNAs aka Suite Night Awards. In the new program you get 5 SNAs on your 50th earned night and another 5 (for a total of 10) on your 75th night.

As I said, at this point I haven't read or seen anything that SNAs won't be accepted by Ritz Carlton's but I haven't read or seen anything confirming that that they will either.

My base case assumption based on what has been published to date is that Ritz Carlton's will accept SNAs, but I am assuming they will likely be very difficult to use in practice as a lot of SPG elites claim that redeeming SNAs was difficult to being with and in my experience Ritz Carlton's are very stingy with normal "space available" upgrades as is.

It's interesting to note that according to SPG elites, St. Regis properties generally seem to have pretty good reputations for honoring upgrades and giving higher level elites free upgrades to suites. I am looking forward to trying some of those properties out post 8/1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.