Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

To Plat or Not to Plat....that is the question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Ultimately, the question is .... "Is is really worth it?"

To reach Platinum level for Marriott, $75K spending is required on the Ritz Card. The main benefit being is that you get automatic Platinum statuses on Marriott AND SPG. Since SPG doesn't have a way to reach platinum through spending, Ritz seems like the only option if spending is the only way you can get there.

So, spending $75K on Ritz Card gives you 75,000 Marriott points, whereas spending $75K on SPG card, gives you 225,000 Marriott points. Is the cost of letting go 150,000 Marriotts worth the Platinum status for BOTH brands really worth it?

would appreciate any thoughts on this from the FT community.

THANK YOU!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:10 am

How much are you traveling? It's hard to say whether PLAT is worth it if you're only in a hotel a few times a year. If you are spending 50-100 nights a year, then I think PLAT status would be beneficial.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's about $4K worth of SPG points you're giving up.

I think I'd go the 8 meetings route with Marriott instead. Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

I do find Marriott/SPG Plat pretty valuable.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:10 pm

Another route is to go the Platinum Challenge. Get an Amex Plat (instant Gold) and stay 9 nights in a Marriott. You'll have SPG and Marriott Plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.