Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Ritz-Carlton, Boston, MA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ritz-Carlton, Boston, MA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by 9volt
How is elite recognition for Platinums here? Specifically the breakfast benefit and late checkout. I know most Ritz properties do very little to acknowledge your status, but there are some exceptions (i.e. Ritz Laguna Niguel) so I was hoping this property might be one of the exceptions.
I am platinum and have stayed here over 25+ nights in the last few years. The only tangible benefits for being Platinum I have received are free high speed internet and free access to the health club (which is great). No upgrades, no breakfast. Most times the front desk staff don't even mention that you are platinum (not that I care).

I have been upgraded once (to a non-club level standard suite) on the occasion of my 25th night at the property but that was an old school upgrade that had to do with my loyalty to that specific property.

I've never asked for late check-out and I can't recall ever being told it was available. That said, they might give it you if you asked, but I don't think you'd be able to claim you have a right to it because of your status.

So yeah, not much in the way of benefits for being a platinum, but it is a great hotel in a great location so there's that.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I am platinum and have stayed here over 25+ nights in the last few years.

So yeah, not much in the way of benefits for being a platinum, but it is a great hotel in a great location so there's that.
Great info. Thank you.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I just called to confirm my Platinum status guarantees my 4 pm late checkout for a stay in April—even though the Ritz Carlton Gold and Platinum elite benefits website pages both clearly indicate that it is a guaranteed benefit (except at convention and resort hotels, which this is not).

The very nice FD gentleman who I spoke with at first tried to say it wasn’t guaranteed. I schooled him quickly and read from the website that up to 4pm late checkout IS guaranteed to any Gold or Platinum.

Only then did he reluctantly acquiesce and then confirm that I would have 4 pm late checkout—as if he was doing me a favor.

He was a very nice fellow. But this is the kind of B.S. that should never happen at a luxury hotel. I have the elite status. I earned that guaranteed benefit. So deliver it and stop pretending otherwise.

If St Regis can do it without issue, so can Ritz Carlton. This will be my very first RC stay since the merger. Looking forward to it since SPG doesn’t have a comparable property in town.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Good job taking them to school. As I said earlier, they really don't go out of their way to recognize elites so it's not surprising to me that they acted like they were doing you a favor. I'll bet the FD guy genuinely didn't know it was a guaranteed benefit at Ritz properties. Nice to know though they will offer late checkout if pressed.

Marriott had to make a lot of compromises to get the Ritz property owners on board with the original merger and as a result the Ritz properties still like to think of themselves as separate from and much better than the rest of the empire. My hope is that Marriott will use the SPG merger as an excuse to reset their overall relationship with the Ritz properties and basically lay down the law with them that they have to play ball with regards to all elite benefits like everyone else. That said, I don't foresee any scenario where elites get free access to the Ritz Club level but I guess we will see.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by BillBurn
Good job taking them to school. As I said earlier, they really don't go out of their way to recognize elites so it's not surprising to me that they acted like they were doing you a favor. I'll bet the FD guy genuinely didn't know it was a guaranteed benefit at Ritz properties. Nice to know though they will offer late checkout if pressed.

Marriott had to make a lot of compromises to get the Ritz property owners on board with the original merger and as a result the Ritz properties still like to think of themselves as separate from and much better than the rest of the empire. My hope is that Marriott will use the SPG merger as an excuse to reset their overall relationship with the Ritz properties and basically lay down the law with them that they have to play ball with regards to all elite benefits like everyone else. That said, I don't foresee any scenario where elites get free access to the Ritz Club level but I guess we will see.
Thanks.

I actually could care less about access to RC Clubs. I vastly prefer room service or a proper restaurant.

The RC hallmark is its exclusive Club, so I think it’s fine to not necessarily allow most elites to gain access (though that would be something to motivate for whatever top tier “Ambassador” like status Marriott may yet create). Just like StR has butler service as its hallmark, which isn’t always available for entry level room categories depending on the property.

But late checkout, a breakfast benefit, and upgrades to non-Club access higher room categories and even some suites are no-brainers for at least the highest elite categories. That’s why I spend so much with StR and Luxury Collection.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Just booked Easter weekend in a suite. Called and was given 4 pm late checkout without any issue, so it may be a matter of training for some FD agents.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Isn't there a Luxury Collection property in Boston? That would seem a better choice for a SPG loyalist who looks for any excuse to denigrate Marriott (and by extension Ritz-Carlton) properties as low-brow and insufficiently brown-nosing to their elite guests.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Just finished up a short stay here, and couldn't have been more pleased. I booked a Club lounge standard room and was upgraded to the entry level suite upon arrival. The club lounge was excellent with great service both mornings and evenings. The club lounge concierge was also able to get me a dinner reservation at a very popular restaurant that wouldn't budge when I called them earlier in the day.

I typically stay at the Liberty as the nicest SPG property in town, but after a poor experience I wanted to give the Ritz a try and I was glad I did. Admittedly, I'm probably a little biased towards the Ritz because I was upgraded to a suite, which was much nicer than the typical upgraded room at the Liberty.

If the rates are anywhere close, I'm going to choose the Ritz from now on.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:25 am
Suspended

I also had a very nice (albeit imperfect) stay at the RC Boston for 3 nights over Easter weekend. I had booked an Executive Suite at a fantastic AAA rate of $600, but I arrived and was upgraded to a Luxury Suite. In the end, I had a very good stay despite several air con fails and several concomitant service fails mostly related to that—and I would gladly return to the RC Boston were the room rate competitive.

My pleasure on being upgraded on arrival turned to dismay, however, after the air con didn’t work properly—amidst several service misses to fix it and/or remedy the situation that first day and night. Calling to get maintenance took 3 calls. Maintenance then did a fix...that didn’t work, ultimately. I woke up in the middle of the night with the bedroom returned to 72 F after having been VIP set to stay at 65 F. Not acceptable.

After some serious kerfuffle and another reset from 65 F to 72 F the next afternoon, I finally was moved to an Executive Suite (as I’d originally booked) and the air con was VIP set to 62 F—and the Suite got down to 63 F. Heaven for me. Clearly, there was something wrong with the air con in the Luxury Suite. (As it turned out, I much preferred the Executive Suite, anyway.) The hotel didn’t handle the air con mess nearly as well as it should have—I should have been moved after the first or second complaint—but I was relieved to finally be settled in the Executive Suite with excellent air con for the remainder of my stay.

The rest of my stay was glorious. While I missed the StR butler packing and unpacking and morning coffee services, I quite enjoyed my stay. I definitely would return, and plan to return.

I actually had been booked to return this Friday for a night stay for a regular room at a $623 rate, but the W Boston had pre-upgraded me to a Wow Suite on a $233 AAA rate. I couldn’t turn down the much better rate for the Wow Suite and had to give the W Boston another chance. But I would stay again at the RC Boston we’re the rate competitive.

EDIT ON 4/14–I’m at the W Boston now in the Wow Suite, where the air con works gloriously in the bedroom and pretty well in the massive living room. The W had a service faux paux on check in, but it was quickly corrected. Service here has been MUCH better compared to my stay last spring. All things equal, I’d likely choose the RC Boston if the rates were comparable, but if rates are lower at the W, I’d likely return to the W. The service has been surprisingly comparable. But the RC food/beverage quality and menu choices (and even pricing) are better, however—but the W is pretty darn good.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 14, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Because I play more often on the Luxury Hotels Forum, I posted my Expert Review of the Ritz-Carlton Boston there:

Ritz-Carlton Boston: Excellent Executive Suite stay despite Luxury Suite air con fail

Maybe in the future it can be added to the linked reviews here in this thread, too.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:39 am

Has this property opted out of the rewards program in some way? I was thinking about booking here on points to try it out for the first time and got this message:
"We’re sorry. This property is not taking redemption bookings at this time. You can either book a cash reservation or search for another property."
I thought the new program has a "no blackout dates" policy, but to me it sounds like this hotel has blacked out EVERY date. What gives?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:05 pm

Planning on staying here and using a club cert next month.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by matravelguy
Has this property opted out of the rewards program in some way? I was thinking about booking here on points to try it out for the first time and got this message:
"We’re sorry. This property is not taking redemption bookings at this time. You can either book a cash reservation or search for another property."
I thought the new program has a "no blackout dates" policy, but to me it sounds like this hotel has blacked out EVERY date. What gives?
Probably an IT glitch from the Marriott IT fiasco. Yes, this RC still participates. It’s also possible the hotel was sold out for your dates.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 5, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Probably an IT glitch from the Marriott IT fiasco. Yes, this RC still participates. It’s also possible the hotel was sold pit for your dates.
Yes - I updated the conclusion in another thread but not here, so may as well update the property-specific thread as well. It looks like this was an IT glitch. There was no availability at all, on any dates ever, for at least 3 days (who knows how long before I first stumbled on it) but the glitch was resolved a bit after I posted and it's back to offering award nights now.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Quick overview of my stay here last weekend:

I'd say the Ritz-Carlton Boston and my Ambassador treated me very well. Upgraded to an Executive Suite from a regular paid room even after I told them I was traveling alone for work and a regular room would be fine. And they took my blackout request as seriously as the StR San Francisco and literally blacked out the bedroom windows. Of course I still needed the engineers to make the bedroom colder. (They actually remembered me—and I them—from my last stay, to boot.) But fan at the foot of the bed, lots of extra water, and a beautiful welcome amenity of chocolate covered strawberries were all waiting for me--as if the upgrade and blackout treatment weren’t enough. I really was very impressed.

My Ambassador and this hotel for the win yet again. FWIW the hotel was almost sold out and had no available suites. Ambassador status rocks.
dgreen12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.