Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Berlin (@Potsdamer Platz) [Master Thread]

Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver

Couldn't find a recent dedicated thread to this property so I'm creating one.

Overall Impression: Stayed here from Dec 13-15 and had a fantastic time. The location could not have been more ideal and really felt like it was central to all of the tourist sites. Customer service was excellent and everyone just greets you whenever you leave or exit. The rooms themselves were just superb.

Elite Experience Check-in: I was recognized as a platinum elite member but not offered any points or welcome gift. I don't in the Ritz system my status counts for much but we were given free wifi. No breakfast or access to lounge etc.

Welcome Gift: None.

Location Impression: Incredible location. You're close to pretty much all of the main attractions and you can walk to even the the super far locations like Bebelplatz in 25mins. I did not have to use the subway or taxi to get where I wanted to. Around Christmas time, the open market across the street is super festive and is really quite charming. Here's a list of everything we visited in a 25min walk.
1) Reichstag
2) Brandenburg Gate
3) Holocaust memorial
4) Potsdamer Platz
5) Topographie des terrors
6) Mauer museum
7) Bebelplatz
8) Gendarmenmarkt
9) Checkpoint Charlie

My pro tip if you are visiting as a tourist is to hit up attractions that are in the same cluster area. Berlin Tower, Pergamonmuseum, Alexanderplatz, Nikolaiviertel are all like one area to check out, while all the Berlin Wall related attractions are close together as well.

Room Impression: Large. The bathroom was huge, and the room was very elegant. There's a separate bathtub from the shower and even dual sinks! The beds were very comfortable and you really sink in (but not if you want a firm mattress). Wifi was fast and easy to connect to.

Hotel Impression: It's a Ritz Carlton. The presentation is amazing and beautiful throughout.

Breakfast Impression: Did not eat at this location.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by pdpgps
There's a separate bathtub from the shower and even dual sinks!
That was funny, I guess your first time in a Ritz .

Great review though!

I've been here many times and you are spot on about the area. More recently stay at the Marriott around the corner because the cost benefit with lounge access is better than the RC club rooms. If you're going for luxury, obviously the RC wins in all regards as you wrote in detail.

Glad you had such a great time
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the detailed trip report & for creating a stand-alone thread! Makes it easier when someone does a search.

I think you get 1,000 points at RCs as your PAG, so check your account when the stay posts.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:14 pm

They do a really nice Sunday Brunch here? To the OP - did you give it a try?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesEaston
That was funny, I guess your first time in a Ritz .

Great review though!

I've been here many times and you are spot on about the area. More recently stay at the Marriott around the corner because the cost benefit with lounge access is better than the RC club rooms. If you're going for luxury, obviously the RC wins in all regards as you wrote in detail.

Glad you had such a great time
Yes sir, it was my first time at a Ritz Carlton. The rates were really competitive this time of year and the day of the week I stayed (Sunday-tuesday). When I arrived, the front desk said there were over 200 checkouts alone on Sunday. The rate I got was 164 euros/night, only 10 or so euros more than the other Marriott.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesEaston
They do a really nice Sunday Brunch here? To the OP - did you give it a try?
I did not get a chance to eat the brunch. It seemed like there were other nearby local places just as convenient and cheaper to eat at, so I ate primarily away from the hotel.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:03 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I just had a stay here this last weekend in a club room and wanted to add some more recent observations.

I had booked the Z34 rate to get the upgrade into club. The rate was 175 EUR per night, which was certainly reasonable. Please note that at check in they will ask if you if it is a private or business stay. If you say private you pay approximately 7 EUR in tax, otherwise nothing. I chose to forego the tax by adding my company name to the folio. Further I was offered an upgrade for 300 EUR per night for a much nicer room with a fireplace. I never understand it when people honestly offer upgrade prices that are significantly higher than the base rate. Despite my platinum premier status I did not receive any further complimentary upgrade, despite a fairly low level of occupancy.

I did not partake in the Sunday brunch. However, at 98 EUR per person, even with the included unlimited champagne, I doubt they would ever be able to meet my expectations for that amount of money.

As a club guest you can eat in the lounge or have the full buffet breakfast. Alternatively you can order room service and get a credit of 38 EUR per person per night against the room service bill.

The club lounge is quite comfortable. However, the food selection was not as extensive as say RC Istanbul. I did not think it could be considered a balanced meal-ersatz except in a pinch. Also, the wine and beer is in the back service room, whereas all the hard liquor is self-serve. I felt like I was constantly looking for the friendly (yet not so frequent) staff members to get wine.

In the lounge you can borrow DVDs. They had a selection of around 12 of them. Fairly recent titles.

If you are a luxury bather, there is also an in-room bath menu. You can order different bathing solutions based upon Molton Brown products that housekeeping will prepare for you. The cost of EUR 52 was beyond the luxury I afford my skin, so I opted for the regular and complimentary bath salts.

I went down to the wellness area. The gym was small but ample. The pool, however, was not much more than a plunge pool. Only a toddler could really do laps in it. There is also a sauna.

A final note that disappointed me a bit was that the concierge contacted me beforehand and asked me if it was a special event. I responded that it was a celebration of my birthday. They said they would arrange something special for me. At check in they asked me again if it was something special and I repeated that it was my birthday. Never did I receive any kind of recognition for this, not even a card. I am not fishing for anything, but if there question has no meaning, then they should just not ask it.

Otherwise the stay was very enjoyable.
DrMilano likes this.

Last edited by cbellero; Feb 22, 2016 at 10:37 am
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the detailed trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Does lounge access worth +120 eur this place charges ? Any half-decent champagne served ? I mostly use the lounge for some evening pre-dinner drinks, don't care about breakfast in the lounge.

Thanks & regads,

El Puerco Volante
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Completed a 3 night stay

Great property right in the heart of everything in Berlin - my first ever R-C stay as well.

Pros:
- Did app check-in the day before and put in for a 12pm arrival - keys ready when I arrived
- Got an "upgrade" to a Potzdamer Platz view (same room size though I'm guessing)
- Nice service all around, some great employees
- Had breakfast as part of my rate (not a Plat benefit of course) - was quite good, nice selection of cold and hot items
- Bed was very comfortable, and in a first for me, there were separate individual comforters on the king bed...kind of funny but worked well!

Cons:
- Active construction going on - lots of drilling during the day
- Gym has a temporary setup on the 12th floor in kind of a library-type room (but with great views at least)...not that much equipment
- Style is very "classic" all around...sure my parents would love it but I wasn't the biggest fan

Since SPG doesn't have the highest-end properties in the city, the R-C is a good choice IMO if you want something a bit nicer.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Now that friends have moved from Mitte and I am on a short stay I am switching it up from my usual Casa Camper residence in Berlin and thinking about staying at RC. Right now the "Deluxe-newly renovated" room is about $50/night more than the "Superior" which looks like the older style decorations. Are Elites booking the older rooms getting put into new rooms? This will be middle of January, not exactly prime time.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Now that friends have moved from Mitte and I am on a short stay I am switching it up from my usual Casa Camper residence in Berlin and thinking about staying at RC. Right now the "Deluxe-newly renovated" room is about $50/night more than the "Superior" which looks like the older style decorations. Are Elites booking the older rooms getting put into new rooms? This will be middle of January, not exactly prime time.
Curious about this as well. Have a stay in February. Wondering if booking superior room will get upgraded to deluxe room based on platinum upgrade
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Just booked a 5-night award stay for late October before the redemption rate goes up this weekend. When booking, there's a warning:
Please note – Remodeling of lobby and public areas August 8-September 28 2018. Remodeling of restaurant August 27-December 17 2018. An alternative will be available. Occasional noise 8am-6pm.

Any recent reports regarding the lengthy renovations going on at this property? Based on the wording above, I assume they've completed renovations on all the guest rooms.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When I walked through in July there was virtually no lobby. I think all the rooms are done but was a shame the lobby cocktail bar was closed.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Trying to book a nice room here for the 19-22nd Oct, but the Marriott website (and app) only appears to show the two base classes of room. All other websites and Virtuoso all show all room classes available. I call the Ambassador line and am told that every website has obviously bought packages for every room type and are holding availability Marriott cannot access.

That’s self-evidently nonsense (and disappointing from someone allowed to staff the Ambassador line), but looking at Virtuoso it comes with free breakfast and $200 a stay for suites at a pretty reasonable price. I’ve emailed my own Ambassador for clarification, but so long as my Marriott number will link it sounds like Virtuoso might be the way to go anyways. It sounds like Marriott elites could well be much better booking RC properties through Virtuoso a lot of the time. Am I missing anything? I’m used to chains providing incentives to their elites to use their booking channels as it makes them so much extra money.

Also, looks to me like yet another system screw up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.