FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ritz Carlton (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton-760/)
-   -   If you could choose one elite status: Ritz-Carlton, HHonors, SPG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton/1387419-if-you-could-choose-one-elite-status-ritz-carlton-hhonors-spg.html)

Necromancer Sep 13, 2012 8:23 pm

If you could choose one elite status: Ritz-Carlton, HHonors, SPG

I'm planning a trip that will get me over the bar for *one* of the following:
- Ritz-Carlton (i.e., Marriott) Silver
- HHonors Silver
- SPG Gold

If you could choose one of the above to get status, which would you choose?

I'm kind of leaning towards Ritz-Carlton (Marriott) just because the property where I'm going is a bit nicer, but it's an open choice. I do about 15 nights a year in hotels, nothing too serious...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2012 11:15 pm

SPG for the guaranteed 4 pm checkout even for Gold.

hailstorm Sep 13, 2012 11:20 pm

If you're only considering the trip solely for the purpose of getting status, then I don't think that Ritz-Carlton Silver status will do much for you. The only things you'll really get are 20% more points during stays and late checkout (assuming the Gold and Platinum members on site do not trump you)

SPG Gold would probably be a better deal.

shoreline Sep 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 19312446)
If you're only considering the trip solely for the purpose of getting status, then I don't think that Ritz-Carlton Silver status will do much for you. The only things you'll really get are 20% more points during stays and late checkout (assuming the Gold and Platinum members on site do not trump you)

SPG Gold would probably be a better deal.

I personally find no truly great value in SPG gold at all.
You can get late checkout mostly anywhere you request it (maybe not 4pm, but usually 1 to 2pm---and I have never been offered 4pm late checkout at SPG either).:td:

Marriott Gold is harder to reach and maintain, but maybe the OP should consider Hhonors fast track to Gold. (although I know it was not one of the choices listed-- but for a 15 night travel pattern per year, it might be a path worth looking at---- it comes with better benefits than all those choices listed above, imho.)

hailstorm Sep 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline (Post 19312481)

I don't have SPG Gold, but it was my understanding that you also get room upgrades and complimentary in-room internet access?

hhoope01 Sep 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 19312571)
I don't have SPG Gold, but it was my understanding that you also get room upgrades and complimentary in-room internet access?

SPG Gold can get a room upgrade (generally to a better room within the same room category). They also now get an arrival amenity of which complimentary in-room internet access is one of the choices, plus and possibly the biggest benefit is a 50% bonus on base points (same bonus as Plats get.)

shoreline Sep 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 19315997)
SPG Gold can get a room upgrade (generally to a better room within the same room category). They also now get an arrival amenity of which complimentary in-room internet access is one of the choices, plus and possibly the biggest benefit is a 50% bonus on base points (same bonus as Plats get.)

I have never one time received an upgrade as a gold member.
Also, choosing internet access as your choice amenity hardly seems that fantastic when compared to Hhonors and Marriott who both give internet access to gold members.

The 50% bonus (vs. 25% bonus, with the other two chains), is nice. Yet, you must weigh it against the few numbers of points earned (and fewer number of points needed to redeem the reward cert). & pricing wise, I find SPG properties to be more expensive in many areas than the competitors Hilton and Marriott.

Overall, I just don't find that SPG values the gold members. I think they rank about with the silver members from the other two chains. Again, this is just my opinion.

I don't stay alot at SPG (as one can read from my other post around this site).

tomy77 Sep 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline (Post 19333158)
Also, choosing internet access as your choice amenity hardly seems that fantastic when compared to Hhonors and Marriott who both give internet access to gold members.

The 50% bonus (vs. 25% bonus, with the other two chains), is nice. Yet, you must weigh it against the few numbers of points earned (and fewer number of points needed to redeem the reward cert). & pricing wise, I find SPG properties to be more expensive in many areas than the competitors Hilton and Marriott.

Overall, I just don't find that SPG values the gold members. I think they rank about with the silver members from the other two chains. Again, this is just my opinion.

Remember, the OP was asking for comparison between Marriott Silver vs Hilton Silver vs SPG Gold.
Not between other golds.

SPG Gold gives (possibility) of room upgrade and guaranteed late check-out , vs none with marriott/hilton silver.
So SPG Gold obviously.

MSPeconomist Sep 17, 2012 9:03 pm

The SPG Gold late checkout benefit is guaranteed except at resort and convention properties, where it's based on availability. I like not having to call the front desk in the morning and beg for a late check out, then having to rush to pack and sometimes to re-think plans for the day if the late check out is denied. Yes, I know I can leave luggage with bellmen for the day, but when there's a large group, I've seen such luggage left in a mound in the lobby rather than being secured so I prefer to avoid leaving luggage checked with the hotel whenever possible.

ikwia Sep 17, 2012 9:21 pm

SPG Gold for sure. I've been considering moving to SPG, as their benefits align better with my desires than MR, although they trail MR wrt properties in a few markets that are important to me.

whimike Sep 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline (Post 19333158)
You can get late checkout mostly anywhere you request it (maybe not 4pm, but usually 1 to 2pm---and I have never been offered 4pm late checkout at SPG either).

It seems you have very little experience with SPG and are just throwing around things which don't make any sense, at all, to anybody in the SPG program.

SPG Gold gives GUARANTEED 4 PM checkout in just about every property. It isn't optional for the hotel to offer it, if you ask for it, you will get it.

About never receiving an upgrade as an SPG Gold. I have only once in 100+ stays not received any upgrade. Receiving a 1-room upgrade as a Gold is a GUARANTEED benefit based on availability, and even in packed hotels they have often found availability.

You state you don't stay a lot at SPG. Considering the statements you are making, it seems you haven't stayed at SPG at all, at least as an SPG Gold.

MSPeconomist Sep 18, 2012 12:00 am

Originally Posted by whimike (Post 19334154)
It seems you have very little experience with SPG and are just throwing around things which don't make any sense, at all, to anybody in the SPG program.

SPG Gold gives GUARANTEED 4 PM checkout in just about every property. It isn't optional for the hotel to offer it, if you ask for it, you will get it.

About never receiving an upgrade as an SPG Gold. I have only once in 100+ stays not received any upgrade. Receiving a 1-room upgrade as a Gold is a GUARANTEED benefit based on availability, and even in packed hotels they have often found availability.

You state you don't stay a lot at SPG. Considering the statements you are making, it seems you haven't stayed at SPG at all, at least as an SPG Gold.

Careful about the SPG Gold upgrades: Officially Golds aren't entitled to upgrades, only to preferred rooms (higher floor, better view, renovated, etc.) in the category that was booked, not to an upgrade of one or more room categories. Nevertheless, Golds often do receive above and beyond upgrades and when the hotel is pretty empty or must do some upgrades due to overbooking in basic or run of house room categories, I would expect the property to show preference to Golds (after Plats).