Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

I searched the forums for this hotel and I can't believe there are no comments on it anywhere - am I in the right place?

Anyway, I was wondering how this hotel ranks up there with the other Maui properties. Expedia gives it 5-stars (take that for what it's worth) but the location seems a bit out of the way, beachwise. I enjoyed the Ren Wailea due to its proximity to nice, swimmable beach.

Any thoughts on the R-C Kapalua?
Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:38 pm

Try
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000329.html

Most people have not yet not made the connection between Marriott and Ritz.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 4:25 pm

Jetsetter -
I have not stayed there, but have heard it is awesome - however, sometimes is the rainy part of the island.

I am staying at the Ren. Wailea for the first time in October - good to hear that you like it. Any other tips, regarding room location, pool, beach, etc. let me know - I am staying on Marriott points and will want an upgrade.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 5:30 pm

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua is one of my three favorite Maui properties. The others are Four Seasons Wailea and the Grand Wailea.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aredtsg:
Jetsetter -
I have not stayed there, but have heard it is awesome - however, sometimes is the rainy part of the island.

I am staying at the Ren. Wailea for the first time in October - good to hear that you like it. Any other tips, regarding room location, pool, beach, etc. let me know - I am staying on Marriott points and will want an upgrade.
</font>
I love the location of both the Ritz-Carlton and the Renaissance (far from the tourist areas...but they are at opposite ends of the island)....and beware (as mentioned before) the Ritz-Carlton is in a rainy part of the island however that is usually just a 5-10 min shower or light mist
Old Jul 16, 2002, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

aretsdg

I would be happy to give you feedback on the Ren Wailea, but you dont have an email address available. Feel free to drop me a line at my email profile.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 1:19 pm

The Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua is probably one of the finest resorts located on Maui. Wailea is more flat and arid compared to the Kapalua, Lahania and the Kahana areas on the North West Coast of Maui. I personally prefer Kapalua to Wailea. There are numerous restaurants (great restaurants) located within a 10 minute car ride. The Ritz is located on the ocean and has a small sandy beach area wedged between the rocky coastline. The resort is located on a sloping piece of property that slowly inclines from the beach area to the entrance off Highway 5. The grounds are tropically lush and well maintained. There are three pools located between the hotel’s two wings. The staff continuously serves you bottled water and fresh pineapple while you are relaxing around the pool. The service is typical Ritz-excellent. As the one member noted there is a period (10-20 minutes) of a light mist/shower, usually early morning or late afternoon. However, its worth it, looking out to the Island of Molokai you will see the largest and most vivid rainbows. The adjacent golf courses are top notch. Now, unless Ritz changed policies over the past 12 months, you cannot earn Marriott Reward points for staying at the Ritz. You can redeem, however, you will need more points or have to pay cash to upgrade to ocean front/ ocean view room. For rewards purposes, the Ritz will require more points per night then a Category Six Marriott. Plus, there are a lot of black out dates. If you have the points, it is worth it! Marriott also has a Resort Hotel and a Marriott Vacation Club located in Lahania, which is approximately a 10 minute drive from the Ritz. The Hotel was recently renovated and the MVCI opened about three years ago.

[This message has been edited by cshots (edited 07-18-2002).]
Old Jul 20, 2002, 1:32 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I like the RC Kapalua. We stayed there last Christmas for 10 days. We booked the Presidental Suite (which I think they call it the RC Suite) and also a connecting room to that. The only thing I would say about that suite was that the furniture was getting old.

It is a great place for golf and tennis and eating. The spa was also very good or maybe I just had a great person.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 6:44 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
I love this property. The Banyan Tree is amazing... YUM!

If you go to church, go to the Mission Church which is located basically in the parking lot...
Old Jul 31, 2002, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was there in April of 2001 The hotel is dark. It is not built as a resort hotel, but a traditional RC. Belongs in a city. due to the indian burial ground, good view is a golf course hole.

The service was not kind or attentive.

The beach is closed a lot due to undertow. The north part of the island has a tendency to be quite cool(I liked it), and very windy.

There are 3 or fore golf courses around the place. If you want to do anything else, it is a 30 to 90 min drive.

Food was good.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is an extremely nice property and done in good taste. Quite location. Excellent restaurant too. Note, it is the only 5 star resort property in west Maui. All the others are in south Maui.

MisterNice
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Ugh! It's a great property, but now that Marriott is in charge, the service is terrible. I was there in February and there was only one person at the front desk each time I walked by. And each time there was a long line of people fuming about how poor the service is at this RC. Also, the golf courses are in poor shape, this soon after the Mercendes Open won by Tiger Woods!
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:02 am

RC Kapalua, Maui

I just received an offer for 5 nights at the RC Kapalua plus $150 gift certicate towards dining, golf or shopping for $899. It involves a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Has anyone else done this? Is this a deal?
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goingnow:
I just received an offer for 5 nights at the RC Kapalua plus $150 gift certicate towards dining, golf or shopping for $899. It involves a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Has anyone else done this? Is this a deal?</font>
I would JUMP at this! You'd probably preview the Marriott Maui Ocean Club in Kaanapali, but I think that it is a small price to pay for a five-night stay with a $150 credit at the RC Kapalua. It is an amazing resort with breathtaking views and impeccable service. Let me know if you don't take it-I will!

[This message has been edited by carolinept (edited 08-18-2003).]
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:41 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a steal! Wonderful property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.