Wiki Posts
Search

RC Amelia Island, Florida

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
RC Amelia Island, Florida

Going to the RC Amelia Island over mother's day weekend. Since there is no RC forum... anyone want to offer up suggestions/recommendations for things to do and see on Amelia Island?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
i have vacationed/stayed on Amelia numerous times. what activities are you looking for?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ncgator
i have vacationed/stayed on Amelia numerous times. what activities are you looking for?
Thanks for asking.

During the day... exploring the island of it's natural and historical significance that might include getting past the regular tourist scenes and hiking the off the beaten trail.

In the late afternoon and early evening.... fun outdoor bars.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:31 am

With kids, by yourself, or with someone? I go every year and love it.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tbassny
With kids, by yourself, or with someone? I go every year and love it.
No kids. Wife. We can spend hours at a time sitting on the beach or at poolside shippin' boat drinks. But I don't want to go to Amelia Island and all I experience is the RC property.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:49 am

Fernandina Beach can be a bit of a tourist scene; the main strip has the occasional eclectic store but you'll definitely see your fill of "Life is Good" hats, fudge shops, and bright pink beach t-shirts. Still, I'd recommend at least stopping into Cafe Karibo for Sunday brunch, where you can enjoy their mimosa bar.

The restaurant at the RC, Salt, is excellent and is always the best meal of the trip.

The RC rents surf and skim boards, but walk further south on the beach to get to some additional action. There's kayaking which I would check out as well (have not done it, but planning on it this year with the kids). The RC has bikes and the paths around that area are good for a relaxing ride; but I believe that kayaking place rents bikes, and there's hiking and bike trails up by Fort Clinch State Park as well.

Please post back after your trip on what you enjoyed as I'm always looking to check out new stuff down there.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marr Plat, Natl Elite, AMEX Plat, AA PP
I believe this RC just completed a renovation as well. It's in my neck of the woods and would make a great staycation so looking forward to your review.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was there one year over Memorial Day weekend. They had special events such as ice sculpting and a presentation from the zoo of animals that we could pet. I also got to pet a smallish gator that was one the property for a special event. IIRC there was an indoor pool party and PJ movie night for kids.

Try to explore the historic stuff on the island. Or just enjoy some pleasant drives or bike rides.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Not to tick off the Amelia Island lovers, but if you're going for the beach, you may want to reconsider. I haven't stayed at this RC in five years, but as I remember it, there was a standard-for-Jacksonville-area shell beach, not sand. So keep your flipflops on and remember to wash/blow the flakes off as soon as you leave the beach area.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Thanks for asking.

During the day... exploring the island of it's natural and historical significance that might include getting past the regular tourist scenes and hiking the off the beaten trail.

In the late afternoon and early evening.... fun outdoor bars.
Downtown Fernandina has some fun basrs. The Irish bar has live music and good drafts, the Saloon is a smokey bar but has tons of character due to its age. Across the street from the Saloon is "Dog Star" Tavern. We always have a good time there when we visit, good Rum selection and beers. If the weather is nice, they have a nice small outside sitting area. The brew pub is called Karibrew and not a bad place for llunch. It also has outside seating weather permitting. The soft shell crab sandwich was good teh last two times I have had it. The best burger in town though is in an old renovated gas station and is called T-Rays. Don't be in a hurry though as it can be slammed during lunch times especially ona Friday or Saturday. Seating is very limited but worth the effort.

The beach does have crushed coquina shells on the tide lines, but has never been an issue for us and we have vacationed there many times over the years. Never cut a toe off or cut the bottom of my feet.

I hope you enjoy it.
Old May 14, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Please post back after your trip on what you enjoyed as I'm always looking to check out new stuff down there.
Well, not much to add. We enjoyed the Ritz. Lots of activites to do at the resort. Great service, good meals, and an upgrade to a huge suite.

Off property, we visited the historic downtown of Fernandina Beach a couple of nights, Old Town, Egan's Creek Greenway, Ft. Clinch State Park, and historic American Beach. We also took a day trip south on A1A to Atlantic/Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beaches. The drive includes Little Talbot and Big Talbot islands, wind surfers on St. George Sound, and the Mayport ferry.

The beach is fine. Not as large and flat as HHI not as pristine white sugary sand as the gulf coast.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:10 pm

Glad you loved this hotel - I was just there this past weekend and am really impressed with the improvements that have been made here.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I realize your trip has already come and gone, but to me, the best (and most OMNI-relevant) sightseeing is to be at Fort Clinch for the complex (unannounced) evolution involving the sortie or return of one of the FBM subs from/back to their haven up the St. Mary's.

They are "Big", far larger than most would expect, convoyed out and in by a small flotilla protective craft, dark and mysterious, in one hull more explosive power than has been used in all of history's wars to date, a frightening reminder that we still prepare for a grim conflict of unimaginable dimensions.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:49 am

Also just got back from this hotel, and my first time there since the renovation. It's always a great trip: the staff is amazing, the restaurant Salt is always memorable, there's always room at the beach and pool, and the grounds and interior are relaxing and tasteful.

There isn't much afforded to Marriott Platinums though at this property, I received free internet and that was about it. We were also placed in what was clearly one of the bottom 5% of rooms, on a very low floor overlooking a roof ("it's good for families" said the front desk agent, I guess in case the kids fall!), and they made no attempt to upgrade prior to arrival (though this seems to be the case in all of my RC stays, not just here). In the end, I spent some time back at the front desk and was finally able to get a similar room (with a King and pullout instead of two doubles) with a better view and a nicer balcony.

The property and staff are fantastic, just don't expect any special treatment.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:56 am

The RC rents surf and skim boards, but walk further south on the beach to get to some additional action.
Just an update that the RC no longer rents directly, but through a vendor on the beach that also handles the jet ski rentals. There are a couple of surfboards and paddle boards which apparently may be there for the borrowing. One of the guys in the hut just lent me one though it was close to the beach closing. There were no ankle leashes on any of them, and mine and another board kept hurtling at high speed toward people on the shore every time we wiped out, which was frequent in the pre-hurricane surf.

Last edited by tbassny; Aug 27, 2012 at 10:29 am Reason: Surf boards hurtle, rather than compete in Olympic hurdles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.