Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton: Can They See My Plat Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I'm off to the R-C Key Biscayne shortly, on a five night leisure stay using 200,000 points. It's a big redemption of points for me, so I want to be certain I maximise my experience. I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies if that's the case as I don't read this board every day.

I renewed Plat for the fourth year running end Feb, but haven't yet received my card, so will need to rely on my outdated card or a printout of my nmembership page, which always looks a bit dodgy. Three questions:

1. Can the R-C see my Plat status on their system when I check in? I'm never too sure if the R-C/Marriott linkups are very sophisticated.

2. Am I likely to see any advance room upgrade in my online booking page, as is often the case with priority club, or do all potential upgrades happen manually at check-in?

3. Should I email the property in advance asking whether they might be able to upgrade, or email with a small concierge request if only to get some focus on my reservation from the front desk; I have found this useful for Intercontinental hotels in the past, but have only just started redeeming at R-Cs so a bit new to it all. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by oscietra; Mar 26, 2012 at 7:23 am
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
They can def. see your platinum status. They have always covered my Plat benefits at check in. However, I do not recall seeing advance upgrades when I logged in as I have seen with standard Marriott reservations. Nothing wrong with requesting an upgrade through reservations. I am not sure about an email.

Just keep in mind that experiences vary widely on this board regarding upgrades. Just with regards to Tysons Corner and us, we have received no upgrade at all up to an including Club Level One Bedroom suite. Depends on many factors, I imagine.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:55 am
Original Poster

It's good to note US based R-Cs can see status.

I stayed in the Middle East a year or so ago (probably when the closer co-operation had just started formally) and they couldn't see status, and hadn't a clue about benefits (free WiFi etc.). I had to log on from the business centre and printout my membership page to prove plat, as well as printing out the plat bennies....

An email might be overdoing it, so I won't bother.

I'm actually perfectly happy with a standard room, and of course anything more than that is a delightful treat, which I think is a good mindset with which to approach a vacation!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by oscietra
It's good to note US based R-Cs can see status.

I stayed in the Middle East a year or so ago (probably when the closer co-operation had just started formally) and they couldn't see status, and hadn't a clue about benefits (free WiFi etc.). I had to log on from the business centre and printout my membership page to prove plat, as well as printing out the plat bennies....

An email might be overdoing it, so I won't bother.

I'm actually perfectly happy with a standard room, and of course anything more than that is a delightful treat, which I think is a good mindset with which to approach a vacation!
Agreed! Nothing wrong with asking for a "Plat Upgrade" at check in. Thats been our approach. Just make sure the reservation shows in your standard Marriott list of reservations. That way you will know your reward num.is properly attached.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
If you get you card before check in, or if you have an old card, I usually hand that over when they ask for a credit card at check in just to make sure.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have had very little luck getting a true upgrade at any ritz as a plat. I get the better view etc, but in terms of actually getting a bigger room or suite or upgrade to a club floor, it has never happened for me. That said, doing everything you can in advance of going, to try to secure an upgrade, given your length of stay, would be the prudent course of action.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
If you dont get the an upgrade at check in, at least ask for Club Floor access.
I havnt tried this yet but plan on trying when check in to the Barcelona Ritz in June.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: Southwest A, Marriott LT Plat, US CP
I'm hitting the Hotel Arts in BCN in late May. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You will not get club lounge access unless you pay the rate for a club room.

Check the T&C. Marriott Plat get very limited benefits at R-C.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by tuono07
If you dont get the an upgrade at check in, at least ask for Club Floor access.
I havnt tried this yet but plan on trying when check in to the Barcelona Ritz in June.
Based on my experience, it is highly unlikely that you will be given club/lounge access, but will probably be upgraded to a nice room on a high floor.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by ryans18
I'm hitting the Hotel Arts in BCN in late May. I'll let you know how it goes!
Me too, when will you be there?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, SPG Plat, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
Anyone have any experience with upgrades at the Central Park Ritz? I'm staying there on points next month for a long weekend.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kbh1234
Anyone have any experience with upgrades at the Central Park Ritz? I'm staying there on points next month for a long weekend.
Highly unlikely. You might get a smile instead of a scoff when checking in as Plat.

I am at Battery Park RC and I have had better service and cleaner rooms at Asian Courtyards.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
1. Yes they can see your Marriott status.

2. But when the RC and Marriott merged, you should have gotten a question of whether you wanted your platinum status to be RC or Marriott. The RC does not see the two as the same. If you have the RC status, you will be upgraded (sometimes to conceirge or suite) always. If you have the Marriott status you may or may not be upgraded one room level depending on availabilty.

I ".....ed" and was shown the rules on my last visit. I got the RC mastercard which confers gold status and get better upgrades at the RC with that than I do with Marriot Platinum Premier.

3. You will get free internet with either.

4. I have found that some Marriots and RCs will not upgrade you until you arrive and "ask" for an upgrade. If you arrive late at night, there are often no upgrades available. I have been told that if you "ask" either by email or in the "box" in the resevation page, they will often do an automatic upgrade for you.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by kbh1234
They are very strict re: the two programs. Pay the $80 and get upgraded to the conceirge floor. One of the greatest CF in the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.