Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Ritz-Carlton Rewards

I have tried to figure this out, but haven't seen much info. How does the Ritz rewards program compare to the Marriott one and how are they related?

I don't see much info about it here on FT.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
All intents and purposes they are the same and interchangeable. The only difference is the offers one receives. MR members receive Marriott offers, and RCR members receive RC offers.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:11 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs up

Which of the Beijing Ritz is convenient to the city area attractions?
I would really like to take a Luxury splurge award stay for about 5 days, if that is NOT too long for the location.
Not a business trip.
Interested in historical sites, .

Last edited by R&R; Jun 4, 2012 at 2:40 am
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (2.4MM), DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Platinum (Lifetime), Hilton Gold
So if you stay at a Ritz Carlton, can you earn Marriott points?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:17 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Bulkhead
So if you stay at a Ritz Carlton, can you earn Marriott points?
Yes. In fact, if you earn RC points and change to the Marriott program, your points and elite status will be the exact same, but will be Marriott points/status. (And the reverse is true as well with a move from Marriott to RC.) You could probably switch back and forth weekly if you wanted with no real impact to your account.

As mentioned, the only real difference are the promotions you will be targeted for. In reality there are no RC "points". All the points in both programs are exactly the same (and probably tracked in one database bucket by Marriott.)
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
All intents and purposes they are the same and interchangeable. The only difference is the offers one receives. MR members receive Marriott offers, and RCR members receive RC offers.
I suppose they have a good reason for this but it seems like they would allow access to both since they use the same rewards number. I tried signing onto the RC website and it redirects me to the Marriott home page. The RC info I was trying to access is unavailable to me.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Yes. In fact, if you earn RC points and change to the Marriott program, your points and elite status will be the exact same, but will be Marriott points/status. (And the reverse is true as well with a move from Marriott to RC.) You could probably switch back and forth weekly if you wanted with no real impact to your account.

As mentioned, the only real difference are the promotions you will be targeted for. In reality there are no RC "points". All the points in both programs are exactly the same (and probably tracked in one database bucket by Marriott.)
How would I go about switching back into the Marriott program. I'm Platinum Premiere now and it appears I am in the RC program - mailings from RC, member card is RC...would much rather Marriott.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Readog
How would I go about switching back into the Marriott program.
I think you have to call MR and tell them you want to switch your primary membership.

I've never actually done it, so it may be possible to do it online, but I've not been able to find out how. So I would just give MR a call.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think you have to call MR and tell them you want to switch your primary membership.

I've never actually done it, so it may be possible to do it online, but I've not been able to find out how. So I would just give MR a call.
Thanks - I called MR and they switched me back. Took no time at all.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
From my Ritz-Carlton Rewards account, when I try to make a Ritz-Carlton points reservation without having enough points in account to cover it, I receive the following message:

Please note that some of the rewards listed below exceed your point balance. You may reserve these rooms, but you will need to earn or purchase additional points prior to check-in to redeem these hotel rewards.
However, I do not see any place on the Ritz-Carlton Rewards website that allows for purchasing points. From the Marriott site i do see the Purchase Marriott Rewards Points link, but it's unclear if these points can be purchased for a Ritz-Carlton account.

Should this work, or is there some Ritz-Carlton Rewards specific option available?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:01 am

Use the Marriott site for purchasing points. It's all the same program.

Keep in mind that according to what has been said by Marriott, you will not need these points until a week before your stay and must call Marriott Rewards (not reservations) M-F during business hours to pull the certificate and attach it to your reservation. Marriott has also said that the points will automatically be deducted and a cert pulled, but my trust factor is not high enough to ever advise or have friends do this.

FWIW, I usually insure friends do this a few weeks before so as not to muck with the system and possibly end up having to jump through extra hoops, and /or lose the reservation. Yes, I know it is not supposed to happen, but one never knows.

BTW, if you have friends or family with points, they can also transfer the points needed for the reward, rounded up to the next 1000. And, no I am not one of your friends or family.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Use the Marriott site for purchasing points. It's all the same program.

Keep in mind that according to what has been said by Marriott, you will not need these points until a week before your stay and must call Marriott Rewards (not reservations) M-F during business hours to pull the certificate and attach it to your reservation. Marriott has also said that the points will automatically be deducted and a cert pulled, but my trust factor is not high enough to ever advise or have friends do this.
Thanks! Sounds pretty complicated...last time I made an RC points reservation online, everything happened automatically.

BTW, if you have friends or family with points, they can also transfer the points needed for the reward, rounded up to the next 1000. And, no I am not one of your friends or family.
Will you marry me?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
How does the lounge access work...Gold MR gets lounge but not at RC right?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Thanks! Sounds pretty complicated...last time I made an RC points reservation online, everything happened automatically.
Not complicated at all. You can make award reservations online with or without the required points. My comments above were with respect to making award reservaitons without having the required points and how to follow-up once you do have the required points.

IF you do NOT have the required points when making the reservation then you will need to get the certificate issued and attached to your reservation later when you do have the required points, OR rely on Marriott's system which is supposed to deduct the points automatically 7 days before arrival for reservations that were originally made without the requisite points. A simple call to Marriott Rewards gets the cert issued and attached to one's reservation and gives one peace of mind on reservations that were originally made without the required points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.