Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I also misread the question. You probably could product change to MR, but I doubt that benefit would duplicate (assuming Chase and MR are reasonably intelligent). It would be better to just have both R-C and MR credit card. Your R-C and MR accounts are one and the same.
I don't know if I can justify the fee of R-C card beyond the first year whereas the anniversary free night of marriott card pays for itself. So, I figured it would be better to product change the R-C card to marriott card after 1st year whereby the 2 marriott cards would get 2 anniversary free nights. If the 15 elite night credits would stack, that would be icing on the cake.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by rct12345
I don't know if I can justify the fee of R-C card beyond the first year whereas the anniversary free night of marriott card pays for itself. So, I figured it would be better to product change the R-C card to marriott card after 1st year whereby the 2 marriott cards would get 2 anniversary free nights. If the 15 elite night credits would stack, that would be icing on the cake.
I see. As I said above, bear in mind that none of these programs will continue to exist as such for more than one membship year to come. So, as long as you will get value out if the R-C card, I would suggest changing your account to be branded as R-C Rewrds and then get the card now.

Nobody yet knows what the new Marriott program with SPG and R-C all folded in will look like. The concomitant credit cards and their benefits are also subject to change in the future. So, it would actually be a smart play to have all of them: SPG amex, Marriott Rewards, and Ritz-Carlton Rewards now. That way, if any of them are keepers or get “grandfathered in” you’re set. You can decide to cancel or product change to any other Chase (or Amex) products (not only Marriott cobranded) if one or two of your cards prove to be redundant or unnecessary in the future.
rct12345 likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 12, 2017 at 1:29 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by rct12345
I'm sure you're already aware of this, but in case you aren't, look into the Visa Infiniti Air discount you get with the card. I get tremendous value from this.
rct12345 likes this.

Last edited by SQ007; Nov 12, 2017 at 8:44 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by SQ007
I'm sure you're already aware of this, but in case you don't, look into the Visa Infiniti Air discount you get with the card. I get tremendous value from this.
Totally agree. If you fly as a couple, this can be a tremendous savings, especially on low cost tickets.

Other good things about card:
  • Primary auto insurance
  • Good trip delay and trip cancellation coverage, which goes well with the $100 off 2nd ticket thingy... Thus for more expensive tickets, Amex Plat 5x is seductive relative to the $100 off on this card, but I also factor in whether something might come up to make the trip go south on us, in which case these benefits help. Amex Plat has its own selling points, but delay and cancellation insurance are not among them
  • We're not the Ritz-Carlton types (not for lack of trying, just for lack of dough), but if you look around every now and then you can find some cheap Ritz-Carlton nights. By cheap, I mean $250/night all in. But say you do two nights somewhere, for $500 total (Battery Park in NYC, or one of the Washington places). With this card you can get club/lounge access, where, even without being a total hog, you can do a lot of good eating and drinking; and a $100 credit toward food and drink elsewhere in the place. Which is to say, with this card, you can have a pretty well liquored up, elevator-back-to-your-room weekend at a not exorbitant price. We've used this benefit maybe 2x in 3 years, yet it is still something useful in the travel toolkit.
danbnash, SQ007 and rct12345 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I see. As I said above, bear in mind that none of these programs will continue to exist as such for more than one membship year to come. So, as long as you will get value out if the R-C card, I would suggest changing your account to be branded as R-C Rewrds and then get the card now.

Nobody yet knows what the new Marriott program with SPG and R-C all folded in will look like. The concomitant credit cards and their benefits are also subject to change in the future. So, it would actually be a smart play to have all of them: SPG amex, Marriott Rewards, and Ritz-Carlton Rewards now. That way, if any of them are keepers or get “grandfathered in” you’re set. You can decide to cancel or product change to any other Chase (or Amex) products (not only Marriott cobranded) if one or two of your cards prove to be redundant or unnecessary in the future.
Yes, I'm keeping a close eye on the merger of all those programs. SPG Amex is on my mind too
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Totally agree. If you fly as a couple, this can be a tremendous savings, especially on low cost tickets.

Other good things about card:
  • Primary auto insurance
  • Good trip delay and trip cancellation coverage, which goes well with the $100 off 2nd ticket thingy... Thus for more expensive tickets, Amex Plat 5x is seductive relative to the $100 off on this card, but I also factor in whether something might come up to make the trip go south on us, in which case these benefits help. Amex Plat has its own selling points, but delay and cancellation insurance are not among them
  • We're not the Ritz-Carlton types (not for lack of trying, just for lack of dough), but if you look around every now and then you can find some cheap Ritz-Carlton nights. By cheap, I mean $250/night all in. But say you do two nights somewhere, for $500 total (Battery Park in NYC, or one of the Washington places). With this card you can get club/lounge access, where, even without being a total hog, you can do a lot of good eating and drinking; and a $100 credit toward food and drink elsewhere in the place. Which is to say, with this card, you can have a pretty well liquored up, elevator-back-to-your-room weekend at a not exorbitant price. We've used this benefit maybe 2x in 3 years, yet it is still something useful in the travel toolkit.
With Chase sapphire reserve (primary car rental and trip delay coverage) and Amex plat (gold status via SPG), most benefits are duplicated. Yes, the $100 airfare credit is lucrative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.