Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by jottoson
I filled out my application over a week ago and have not yet received card. Does anyone have any experience as to the length of time to receive the card?
I signed up about a week ago also. Haven't received anything yet, but my no-status (0 points) Marriot Rewards account shows Gold Status now, so I assume they processed the card already.

Honestly not sure I made the right choice versus the Sapphire card. I wanted a complementary card to my existing Amex Plat for cases where Amex acceptance was an issue (and already have a joint United card), but I'm sort of bummed that the Ritz-Carlton and Marriot benefits aren't better integrated. Really given the fees and such, this card should give the same 5pts/$ that you'd get on the Marriott card so you don't have to guess which chain you'll have more stays with. Its not like the RC brand is so widespread that you always have that option, and the quality between RC and the top-end Marriott properties is pretty blurry.

But we'll see how it goes. The Airport Club benefit is redundant to Amex Plat., but the hotel & airline fee benefits should pay for themselves at least.

I really hope the promotions between the two programs aren't also segemented, its hard enough learning how to maximize one set of rules, much less two.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
When applying for the card do I put my marriott # in the "Ritz-Carlton Rewards Number" spot?
That what I did, and altho have not received the card yet, the marriot account changed status, so obviously it "worked" to some extent.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Innerloop
I'm sort of bummed that the Ritz-Carlton and Marriot benefits aren't better integrated..
You cannot be serious - two programs are essentially the same - run by the same people, and interchangeable benefits, earnings, redemptions. If you are so bummed about not earning 5 points at Marriotts, there is also Marriott card that the same company Chase offers.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
I signed up about a week ago also. Haven't received anything yet, but my no-status (0 points) Marriot Rewards account shows Gold Status now, so I assume they processed the card already.

Honestly not sure I made the right choice versus the Sapphire card. I wanted a complementary card to my existing Amex Plat for cases where Amex acceptance was an issue (and already have a joint United card), but I'm sort of bummed that the Ritz-Carlton and Marriot benefits aren't better integrated. Really given the fees and such, this card should give the same 5pts/$ that you'd get on the Marriott card so you don't have to guess which chain you'll have more stays with. Its not like the RC brand is so widespread that you always have that option, and the quality between RC and the top-end Marriott properties is pretty blurry.

But we'll see how it goes. The Airport Club benefit is redundant to Amex Plat., but the hotel & airline fee benefits should pay for themselves at least.

I really hope the promotions between the two programs aren't also segemented, its hard enough learning how to maximize one set of rules, much less two.
I just don't see any reason why anyone who already has an Amex Plat (and MR credit card) would want to apply for a RCCC if (s)he doesn't stay at RC properties very often. AmexP & RCCC both have the same Priority Pass Select benefit + $200 airline incidental fee + no foreign transaction fee. The real additional benefit is the RC club level upgrade. I stay primarily at MR properties and rarely stay at RC. And since RCCC won't get me any bonus MR points when I stay at a MR property, I just don't see any real benefits (unless I want to get some nice RC club upgrades at one of those 3 Tier 5 RC properties).
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
You cannot be serious - two programs are essentially the same - run by the same people, and interchangeable benefits, earnings, redemptions. If you are so bummed about not earning 5 points at Marriotts, there is also Marriott card that the same company Chase offers.
That's good, if that's the only difference. I was concerned that perhaps members of one program were not eligible for the (numerous) promotions offered by the other, and vice-versa. I'm not that put out by the points-per-dollar end of things ultimately. Its just very unclear to a new member why there are two overlapping programs and which members are eligible for each.

It would seem a lot easier to just integrate the entire brand under one clear program as other chains have done. Starwood doesn't seem to have any issues putting their St. Regis properties under the same program.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by ktjan
I just don't see any real benefits (unless I want to get some nice RC club upgrades at one of those 3 Tier 5 RC properties).
for those of us who rarely choose Marriott chain the real benefit is to have Gold status after 10K spend without staying 50 nights a year.

Also, promotions by both brands are different, and it is not clear which promotions one would be eligible if carrying RC card or if one could switch back one's account to Marriott from RC once credit card is approved. It is clear that the same person can only have one account - so it is either or (per T&C of MR), but it's also mentioned that the same person can have both cards, so it is still not completely clear to me how one could earn both types of points, but only "receive communication" from one type of brand and how often one could change preferences. They should really allow promotions to be valid through both brands.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:23 pm

for those of us who rarely choose Marriott chain the real benefit is to have Gold status after 10K spend without staying 50 nights a year.
It would appear to give Gold status immediately, not linked to 10k spend as near as I can tell. Even the "club upgrades" posted in the MR account without even activating the card.

Not sure how important Gold status IS really, esp. compared to Diamond, but its better than no status!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
It would appear to give Gold status immediately, not linked to 10k spend as near as I can tell. Even the "club upgrades" posted in the MR account without even activating the card.

Not sure how important Gold status IS really, esp. compared to Diamond, but its better than no status!
1. There's no diamond. 2. Gold gives lounge access and upgrades.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:35 pm
Suspended

I just posted in another thread that my wife gave up her MR premier card as we both do not travel much for business.

She has Plat AMEX but we will reconsider in a year now that Continental -- our principal airline -- is leaving the fold and the only US airline of any note left is Delta --uggh.

As you know, Marriott has left AMEX as well, so we could very well jettison the AMEX Plat -- after we have transferred all of her points out of her account.

Now, if the Ritz card really does give Gold status for the first year? and then after a $10,000 annual spend, I can certainly see that as an enticement for us.

She would get Gold status and although we normally stay at Marriotts, if that status of Gold were to transfer over for Marriott stays, that would be somehting.

We might not really stay at Ritzs, but if we were to do so, the extra perks are an enticement.

Finally, as to the "lost" point multipliers at Marriotts b/c of her Ritz card, that would not occur, as she has a Marriott Card in her name on my account - so I would get the multiplier for any paid stays, and we would get Gold Lounge access.

Use of the Ritz card for the $10,000 spend would be limited to dining and any other non-Marriott purchase - earning one point per dollar, just as with the Marriott card, so no loss there.

Will await further information from those who make the leap, as we will wait at least unitl the next annual fee request from AMEX, but I have to say that I am now certainly intrigued by this development!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Some further terms clarify that the upgrade to the Ritz clubs 3 times a year must be on paid stays, not award stays:

Club Level offer valid at participating hotels on up to three paid stays per Account Year
In additon, it is somewhat unclear whether one will get the 50,000 point bonus because it is limited to new cardholders/accounts.

This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.
But is that a Chase account, a Marriott Rewards account or either? If one received a bonus from a MR credit card, is one eligible for the Ritz bonus??
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by VA1379
The $100 credit for 2+ night stays cannot be combined with any other promotional package or discount, so it is only good if there is nothing better than the regular room rate.
I think 100$ credit applies to any rate. At least, T&C do not indicate otherwise.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:10 pm

I like the logic of getting x5 multiplier paying with secondary user's card.

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
to new cardholders/accounts.
But is that a Chase account, a Marriott Rewards account or either? If one received a bonus from a MR credit card, is one eligible for the Ritz bonus??
It's Ritz Carlton card/account: MR and RCR are marketed separately; Chase has so many affiliate cards that everybody here on FT seems to have had at least a few Chase accounts.

Also, to answer your question about RCR Gold applying to M stays - yes, it does as per conditions of MR and also from my experience getting free internet, room upgrades and some (not really SPG late) checkout for MR status at RC. Although sometimes you need to remind the front desk about Gold status because they seem agnostic to the fact that now they have their frequent stay program at Ritz Carlton and with that "elite benefits". But I am sure they will become more used to that if Chase Visa is successful.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:11 am
Suspended

Still a bit confused, and why wouldn't I be - One can get the RRC but still retain a Marriott Rewards account, I believe.

If the above is correct, does one get Gold in Marriott Rewards for the first year as a result of the RRC and keeps it after a $10,000 annual spend?

If so, then the card fee is approx $200 because of the use of the airline rebate -- so long as you fly enough to justify it.

Then, aside from the benefits listed above inuring to RC stays, etc., what is the priority plus program for lounge access? Does one pay a reduced fee for use of an airline lounge and is that fee reimbursable per the $200 rebate mentioned above.

If so, it then reduces to essentially a $200 card where one can "buy" Gold status. Still not a bad deal in my book.

Of course, there is no annual cert for a hotel stay as there is with the MR cards, but the Cat 4 is getting pretty useless and with category creep, the Cat 5 has somewhat diminished in value.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:29 pm

[QUOTE=NJUPINTHEAIR;16611486 One can get the RRC but still retain a Marriott Rewards account, I believe. .[/QUOTE]
My assumption is that you retain your points, and promotions currently in the account, then with the RC card, your account becomes as RCR primary account and promotions applicable to you are those offered by RCR not MR ( I think they have $$ off promo now). This is my best guess.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I think 100$ credit applies to any rate. At least, T&C do not indicate otherwise.
This is from the pop up window when you click on the offer details tab on the credit card page:

Hotel credit available at participating hotels using The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card, and requires a two night minimum length of stay, subject to availability. Credit is non-transferable or combinable with other offers, and consecutive reservations in the same hotel are not valid.
I interpret the bold part to mean that you cannot combine the credit with any other promotional packages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.