Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Bascally the same AF as Marriott Rewards card after the $300 credit" but $10k spend for Gold > 15 EQN. The 10% annual bonus is nice and I may point this out to Chase when the AF comes due for my Marriott card later this month.

No way I would spend 75k on this card for Plat status as it's basically worthless. But I'd do it in a hearbeat for SPG Plat. Even Hilton only requires 40k on Citi for Diamond status. Not sure what Marriott and Chase are smoking.
If United continues to give silver to Marriott plat, it is a way for high spenders to cruise to star gold status.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:59 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Is there a fee-free link available at the moment?
Old May 3, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cbellero
Is there a fee-free link available at the moment?
If you try the very first link in this topic you will find it still works.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:50 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Thanks for pointing out the first link. I only tried the second one. However, if I click through, it shows the offer - when I click on it, the system then informs me that the offer is no longer available.

Two questions that are probably answered elsewhere but I have not been able to easily find them:

1. Can I earn the 70,000 points onto my existing Marriott Rewards account, or does it actually have to be an account "converted" into/branded a Ritz-Carlton Rewards account?
2. The terms say that as a Marriott Rewards credit card owner, I am ineligible for the bonus 70,000 points. However, how is it in practice? Will I get them despite the terms?

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2014, 5:52 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Actually, now that I have read the thread linked in post 1, I find the answers to my questions. So, please ignore the post above.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by Boraxo
No way I would spend 75k on this card for Plat status as it's basically worthless. But I'd do it in a hearbeat for SPG Plat. Even Hilton only requires 40k on Citi for Diamond status. Not sure what Marriott and Chase are smoking.
Agree with this statement. I did the math on moving $65,000 worth of spend over to my Ritz Visa from my Starwood Amex (the difference in the 10k I will at least do for Gold vs. the 75k needed for Platinum). Assuming an average redemption of $0.01 per Marriott point vs. $0.04 for Starwood (both are what I routinely get) it would "cost" me around $1900 in point earnings for an upgrade from Marriott Gold to Platinum and perhaps UA Silver status. Just not worth it.

I think Citi is in the right neighborhood with 40k for Diamond. Perhaps Marriott/Chase could have set the bar at 50k and this would be tempting, but I think they overreached.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by nall
I know I saw earlier in the thread that the $100 credit stay required a higher-rate stay. What are the rate restrictions (if any) like with the club upgrades?

I googled around but didn't find much.
The couple times I have explored using the credit and my upgrade I have been able to use it against the lowest rate. The frustrating thing has been that each of those times there was also a package rate being offered around the same per night price that decreased my overall value (or at least perceived value).

For example I was able to book a $159 rate at the Atlanta Ritz with the $100 credit and using upgrade to club floor (rate an example, I forget the actual rate). But at the same time they offered a package for the same per night rate that included breakfast and valet parking, whereas with my rate I would have to pay for parking and breakfast would be free but in the lounge -- probably slightly downgraded from what we might get in the restaurant?

I ended up doing the base rate with my $100 credit -- used part of it to offset parking -- and ended up with $65 or so to spend and the lounge breakfast was plenty for us - so overall was happy. But would have preferred to book the package rate and use my upgrade - but that was ineligible. And in general feel the value of my credit was cut 33% since I had to use part of it for parking and they were including parking with the exact same nightly rate!

Similar packages have been available the other two times I have looked at using it. But I do not usually stay at Ritz properties on my own dime, so only looking at off-peak times.

Last edited by dbuckho; May 3, 2014 at 11:57 am
Old May 3, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by lkar
If United continues to give silver to Marriott plat, it is a way for high spenders to cruise to star gold status.
United Silver = Star Silver not Star Gold
Old May 3, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
United Silver = Star Silver not Star Gold
Oops, yes. That's what I meant. Still, It compares to the delta reserve, which gets you status with, I believe $60K in spend. I don't know of another card that gives you US domestic airline status entirely via spend. Marriott plat plus UA silver is pretty good for $75k spend.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by dbuckho
Agree with this statement. I did the math on moving $65,000 worth of spend over to my Ritz Visa from my Starwood Amex (the difference in the 10k I will at least do for Gold vs. the 75k needed for Platinum). Assuming an average redemption of $0.01 per Marriott point vs. $0.04 for Starwood (both are what I routinely get) it would "cost" me around $1900 in point earnings for an upgrade from Marriott Gold to Platinum and perhaps UA Silver status. Just not worth it.

I think Citi is in the right neighborhood with 40k for Diamond. Perhaps Marriott/Chase could have set the bar at 50k and this would be tempting, but I think they overreached.
I would agree that the difference between gold and plat is not worth $1900. Though one cent per point for marriott is a poor use, and one wonders if you would get better value for marriott points if you were plat. 4 cents for starwood is also pretty great. I value starwood much closer to 2.6 cents. If my value were 4 cents, the only spending I likely would put on any other card is 3x to 5x categories.

Small point -- $65k on the Ritz card (assuming none is in the bonus categories) gets 71,500 points due to the 10% bonus.
Old May 4, 2014, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by dbuckho
The couple times I have explored using the credit and my upgrade I have been able to use it against the lowest rate. The frustrating thing has been that each of those times there was also a package rate being offered around the same per night price that decreased my overall value (or at least perceived value).

For example I was able to book a $159 rate at the Atlanta Ritz with the $100 credit and using upgrade to club floor (rate an example, I forget the actual rate). But at the same time they offered a package for the same per night rate that included breakfast and valet parking, whereas with my rate I would have to pay for parking and breakfast would be free but in the lounge -- probably slightly downgraded from what we might get in the restaurant?

I ended up doing the base rate with my $100 credit -- used part of it to offset parking -- and ended up with $65 or so to spend and the lounge breakfast was plenty for us - so overall was happy. But would have preferred to book the package rate and use my upgrade - but that was ineligible. And in general feel the value of my credit was cut 33% since I had to use part of it for parking and they were including parking with the exact same nightly rate!

Similar packages have been available the other two times I have looked at using it. But I do not usually stay at Ritz properties on my own dime, so only looking at off-peak times.
So you can combine the $100 credit and club floor upgrade offers on the same reservation?
Old May 4, 2014, 9:42 am

Call 1-888-846-7004 to apply.
Mention these RSVP:
F5BP - 140k points after 2k spend in 3 months. Annual fee of $395 not waived first year.
F53K - 70k points, $395 waived first year.

I wasn't targeted, but called and used the RSVP code (5/2). Just act like you got it in the mail.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:13 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Thanks for the links. I will try the fee free version.

Is there any recent information about whether I can expect to get the bonus points if I already have the marriott card and got
The bonus for that one?
Old May 4, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by cbellero
Thanks for the links. I will try the fee free version.

Is there any recent information about whether I can expect to get the bonus points if I already have the marriott card and got
The bonus for that one?
I got the free one as well. I don't have the marriott card so can't help you there. Hope it works for you.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:34 pm

One point of clarification, the $300 airline credit can be used for a lounge membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.