Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by dw
Ironically, I think the best value from this card would be Gold status after only $10,000 spend for people who wouldn't normally qualify, but for stays at FS Marriott/Renaissance properties. I'm probably going to drop down to Silver next year, so this card is definitely on my radar.
Wouldn't you be a lot better off with a Marriott Rewards CC then? If you aren't going to use the RC Club upgrades, paying $400/year (plus the foregone cashback on the $10,000/year that you'd have to spend to maintain the Gold status) for the Marriott status seems like a lot of money to spend for it, particularly when the Marriott Rewards card give you a 15 night/year credit towards the next elite status.

If you'll use the $200/year airline fee reimbursement and Priority Pass, the value of the RC card starts to make a little more sense but would it still be more advantageous for you than the Marriott Rewards card?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by am1996
Wouldn't you be a lot better off with a Marriott Rewards CC then? If you aren't going to use the RC Club upgrades, paying $400/year (plus the foregone cashback on the $10,000/year that you'd have to spend to maintain the Gold status) for the Marriott status seems like a lot of money to spend for it, particularly when the Marriott Rewards card give you a 15 night/year credit towards the next elite status.

If you'll use the $200/year airline fee reimbursement and Priority Pass, the value of the RC card starts to make a little more sense but would it still be more advantageous for you than the Marriott Rewards card?
No, not if you are not that frequent a traveler.

If the above, is applicable to the person, then the 15 nights from the MR card is not much as it would not get them over the hump of 50 nights. Second, if you use $200 in airline credits from the RC card, then the card is $200/year, and spending $10,000 per year on the card is not all that hard.

The way to maximize your stays at Marriott family properties is to rarely if ever stay at Ritzs when paying on your own dime, but also possessing the MR credit card with the free night cert. If then you stay at Marriott and Renaissance properties, your Gold status from the RC card will get you lounge access and if you pay for your stays at such properties with your MR card, you will get the multiplier effect.

The Ritz card is, therefore, a bootstrap to MR Gold status, no more, no less.

Not sure if you can sell/trade the RC upgrade certs, but if you can, then you can further defray the cost of the RC card.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:15 pm

Marriott card also gives 1 elite-qualifying night for every 3K spend, so 10k spent on Marriott card would equate to 18 elite nights towards the 50 threshold of Gold status. While 32 nights is still a lot, I am not sure of the strength of Ritz Carlton rewards promotions yet. Obviously, no cat 4 nights at Marriott anymore, since converting your account to RC rewards makes you ineligible for Marriott promos. So yeah, if you stay less than 30 nights average at Marriott hotels, then Ritz Carlton card might be for you. But most frequent travelers have status on at least one airline, so that airline-credit value is marginal.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Marriott card also gives 1 elite-qualifying night for every 3K spend, so 10k spent on Marriott card would equate to 18 elite nights towards the 50 threshold of Gold status. While 32 nights is still a lot, I am not sure of the strength of Ritz Carlton rewards promotions yet. Obviously, no cat 4 nights at Marriott anymore, since converting your account to RC rewards makes you ineligible for Marriott promos. So yeah, if you stay less than 30 nights average at Marriott hotels, then Ritz Carlton card might be for you. But most frequent travelers have status on at least one airline, so that airline-credit value is marginal.
If you have the RC card, you do not need to convert your account to RC rewards. They essentially are the same rewards system, so you can retain your MR account but it will be boosted to Gold status with your $10,000 Spend on the RC card -- at leat this was how it was explained to me by MR phone reps.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I can confirm this. I provided my MR account number when signing up the RC credit card and my account stayed a MR account. My account was updated with Gold status and even the 3 RC Club upgrades are in there.

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
If you have the RC card, you do not need to convert your account to RC rewards. They essentially are the same rewards system, so you can retain your MR account but it will be boosted to Gold status with your $10,000 Spend on the RC card -- at leat this was how it was explained to me by MR phone reps.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Anyone care to chime in on the differences between Palladium Chase and this RC card aside from UR benefits?

I have the Sapphire Preferred card currently to supplement my SPG AMEX and use the AMEX Plat for the travel bennies.

The Key benefit I see from the RC card is an opportunity to gain and maintain Gold Status at Marriott chain to compliment my SPG Amex coverage while also covering what AMEX Plat does mostly in travel and concierge.

Don't really intend to stay in RC and FHR used only twice before frankly since regularly stay and fly on points....just need to gain status based on spend.

My current backup plan is Hilton for 40k spend for Diamond and $75 annual fee with the key benefit there for the DD force on award stays.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:51 am

Thumbs up The New JP Morgarn Chase card and the Ritz Carlton

Originally Posted by cardtracker
I"m interested in hearing more about the concierge program and its service. Supposedly, the program is the same one that JP Morgan offers to their private banking customers.

I found it interesting that the Marriott card carries the Chase logo, however, the Ritz card carries a JP Morgan reference and any mention of Chase is somewhat "hidden." I guess Chase is too low class a for the Ritz brand...lol.
We recently stayed at the Ritz in NOLA for our 40th wedding annivr - while we have not gotten the bill yet to see if the promise of the 100.00 credit and the air fare credits up to 200.00 were applied yet. I have to say that our experience was one we will be proud to remember over the years. the staff was wonderful the service was over the top and our club level room was beautiful - fit for our 40th celebration. we will never forget how special we were treated...Our dinner reservations to the Commander's Palace topped it all off - will keep you posted on our bill - this was the NEW J.P.Morgan Chase card..so far even that experience has been over the top...
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by blancheandjames2
while we have not gotten the bill yet to see if the promise of the 100.00 credit and the air fare credits up to 200.00 were applied yet.
The $100 credit should have shown up on your hotel bill which then could have been applied to dining and spa charges. It will not show up on you CC bill.

Also there it is no "air fare credit", it is a $200 annual credit for airline incidentals billed to your card (excludes air fare and annual airline club fees). Airline incidentals include day passes to airline clubs, baggage fees, and ticket change and/or booking fees. That is what I was told when I tried to claim my annual Admirals Club renewal fee toward the annual $200 and was told no. Once the charges have posted to your CC you must call Chase to claim credits toward the annual $200 limit as it is not automatic.

Sorry to put a damper of your expectations, but at least you are prepared and don't have to come back here and find the answers after your CC bill arrives.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
The $100 credit should have shown up on your hotel bill which then could have been applied to dining and spa charges. It will not show up on you CC bill.

Also there it is no "air fare credit", it is a $200 annual credit for airline incidentals billed to your card (excludes air fare and annual airline club fees). Airline incidentals include day passes to airline clubs, baggage fees, and ticket change and/or booking fees. That is what I was told when I tried to claim my annual Admirals Club renewal fee toward the annual $200 and was told no. Once the charges have posted to your CC you must call Chase to claim credits toward the annual $200 limit as it is not automatic.

Sorry to put a damper of your expectations, but at least you are prepared and don't have to come back here and find the answers after your CC bill arrives.
With AMEX Plat you have to pick one airline and then they automatically remove the charges from your bill for that airline. Kind of restrictive, but simple once you pick the airline.

With the Ritz card, you have to remember to call in after you charge something (in my case, buy on board meal) and ask them to remove it. A little bit of a hassle, but I like the fact that they do not restrict you to a single airline.

I'll have to give the concierge a call and try it out.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I'll have to give the concierge a call and try it out.
It's been a pretty painless process for me. They ask no questions.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I did a cash upgrade with US a month or so ago and I called chase to have the $200 incidental credit applied. Today I saw that it hadn't applied yet so I called and asked what's going on. I was told that the upgrade fee does not count towards the incidental fee. I told them the $200 with amex plat covers it and she just said sorry two different comapnies. Does that sound right to you guys?

Go Gators
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by GNVGator
Does that sound right to you guys?
Yeah, sounds right to me. They make the rules, so what they think is what matters. Same thing happened with my Admirals Club membership renewal. I canceled the RC CC as a result. AA EXP has hardly any fees (no baggage fees, no ticketing fees, etc.) that would be considered reimbursable under RC CC T&C so I did not see the benefit of keeping the card in my situation. YMMV.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Yeah, sounds right to me. They make the rules, so what they think is what matters. Same thing happened with my Admirals Club membership renewal. I canceled the RC CC as a result. AA EXP has hardly any fees (no baggage fees, no ticketing fees, etc.) that would be considered reimbursable under RC CC T&C so I did not see the benefit of keeping the card in my situation. YMMV.
I just got off the phone with RC again after speaking with US. This time I had success, it turns out since the price was so high ($500) they thought it was the purchase price of a ticket. I told them it was a ticket change fee as that is how US charges it when someone upgrades. They said no problem look for it on next month's statement.

I agree with you in thinking about canceling it. I was in IST and had to pay a rate higher than the leisure rate in order to be eligible to use the club lounge certs. Something like 50 euros higher than the lowest fare shown...lame

Go gators
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Did priority pass select change to lounge club? I received a letter in the mail sayin the ritz Carlton card was switching to the lunge club with 350 clubs world wide. Looks like the same clubs that were in the pp.

Last edited by envgeo; Apr 14, 2012 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
My renewal anniversary date is coming up in a couple of months and I will be keeping it. For me, the cost/benefit ratio has definitely been worth it. I've taken advantage of enough of the perks to come out ahead even without considering the signup bonus.
I think there may be some non-advertised perks as well. I recently reserved a regular suite at the Washington DC RC and was upgraded to the presidential suite and it was, er, sweet. I don't think it was a coincidence. It was the first time it has happened and might be the last but it was a pretty cool experience. I also am a fan of some of the special opportunities they send me occasionally. The recent overnight stay at the RC central park for $500 (included dinner, brunch, art tours, etc.) was a pretty good deal and I hope they keep those types of offers coming.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.