Search

New Ritz Carlton Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:34 pm
dw
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
New Ritz Carlton Rewards

Unfortunately you need a subscription so I won't post the link, but there is an article that was just posted to wsj.com about RC rolling out a new loyalty program, "Ritz Carlton Rewards". It sounds like it will be separate from MR, but that points can be redeemed for stays at other Marriott family properties.

(Edited to add that you can access the article by going to Google News and searching for Ritz Carlton Rewards.)
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, this news was "leaked" on flyertalk a few weeks ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...s-program.html

I think this move is long overdue. Personally, I would include the Ritz hotels in the existing Marriott program (like there's no St. Regis or Luxury Collection program at Starwood), but I guess they're hung up on some sort of separate exclusivity.

The WSJ article would suggest the program will not be exceptionally rewarding, but perhaps this opens the door up to special promos, which is how most hotel reward programs become more worthwhile to their members and frequent guests.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, this news was "leaked" on flyertalk a few weeks ago.
Personally, I would include the Ritz hotels in the existing Marriott program (like there's no St. Regis or Luxury Collection program at Starwood), but I guess they're hung up on some sort of separate exclusivity.
I personally will not sign up to a program that should have been included MR in the first place. There are simply too few props, and too many other programs that to choose from. I'm currently a MR & *wood prop. Seriously thinking of adding Hyatt next year.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, PC Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SC Alum
I personally will not sign up to a program that should have been included MR in the first place. There are simply too few props, and too many other programs that to choose from. I'm currently a MR & *wood prop. Seriously thinking of adding Hyatt next year.
Whoa, nelly....

Did you not see the announcement this morning? Ritz to be included with regular MR. Details to be announced tomorrow
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Marriott News Center has an announcement: The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. Launches World-Class Loyalty Program Offering Unique Global Travel Experiences

From that announcement, it appears that Ritz Carlton Rewards are NOT included in Marriott Rewards.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Marriott News Center has an announcement: The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. Launches World-Class Loyalty Program Offering Unique Global Travel Experiences

From that announcement, it appears that Ritz Carlton Rewards are NOT included in Marriott Rewards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...t-rewards.html
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:47 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

But MR elites are not completely shut out.
Elite Marriott Rewards members will also receive special benefits when staying at The Ritz-Carlton’s properties.

Under the new program, Marriott Rewards platinum members who stay at a Ritz-Carlton will receive a complimentary room upgrade.

Last edited by dayone; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:57 am Reason: Typo.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dayone
But MR elites are not completely shut out.
Elite Marriott Rewards members will also receive special benefits when staying at The Ritz-Carlton’s properties.

Under the new program, Marriott Rewards platinum members who stay at a Ritz-Carlton will receive a complimentary room upgrade.
I wonder how quickly this will be implemented. I read somewhere that signup for the program starts tomorrow. I'm staying at the RC Tokyo next week and would love an upgrade...
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
My main concern is the impact on Ritz Carlton reward night rates. Marriott Rewards went to a 5th night free system for Marriott brand hotels last year. The Ritz Carlton Rewards table was left unchanged.

Longer stays at Ritz-Carlton are charged fewer Marriott Rewards points per night. One night Tier 1 RC is 45,000 points per night, but stay seven nights and the rate drops to 25,000 points per night. This is a much greater discount than 20% on 5th night free.

I hope the Ritz Carlton reward table doesn't devalue tomorrow.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, PC Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by satori
My main concern is the impact on Ritz Carlton reward night rates. Marriott Rewards went to a 5th night free system for Marriott brand hotels last year. The Ritz Carlton Rewards table was left unchanged.

Longer stays at Ritz-Carlton are charged fewer Marriott Rewards points per night. One night Tier 1 RC is 45,000 points per night, but stay seven nights and the rate drops to 25,000 points per night. This is a much greater discount than 20% on 5th night free.

I hope the Ritz Carlton reward table doesn't devalue tomorrow.
http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...omers/112143/1

"If you're saving up points for a free Ritz-Carlton stay, you'll need between 30,000 and 60,000 points per night for most hotels. The only exception is the Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park, which will command 70,000 points."

I think your concerns are well founded. Anyone wanting to take advantage of current conversion rates should make a reservation now just in case.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mjh5o
http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...omers/112143/1

"If you're saving up points for a free Ritz-Carlton stay, you'll need between 30,000 and 60,000 points per night for most hotels. The only exception is the Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park, which will command 70,000 points."

I think your concerns are well founded. Anyone wanting to take advantage of current conversion rates should make a reservation now just in case.
Perhaps satori'a concern are well founded; but there is not much we can do about it. We'll find out tomorrow.

But about the USA Today numbers... right now a 1 night stay at a RC Tier 2 is 70,000 points, and 7 night Tier 1 is 25000 per night, so the numbers in their article are not off by much. Of course I wonder about their accuracy.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
What I can't fathom is why they made the Ritz Rewards a separate program.

Elite qualifying nights are the same for both programs (e.g. 75 nights for platinum) but given the price point and number of RC properties (73), I would imagine a scant few would earn elite status in the RR program.

Marriott has stated that you can be a memeber of the RR program or MR program, but not both.

Does this mean that they will be bringing the Courtyard Club back?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I stand corrected - yes you can earn points across the two programs. Bill Marriott has more on his blog: Launching a Loyalty Program for Our Ritz-Carlton Customers.

In addition, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards is partnering with Marriott Rewards so members can earn and redeem points at 3,300 hotels worldwide. And, now Marriott Rewards members can earn points at The Ritz-Carlton hotels.

Edited to add: ...and now I see there is already an entire thread devoted to the topic.New Opportunities to Earn Marriott Rewards. Oops.

Cheers,
Greg
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I wonder how quickly this will be implemented. I read somewhere that signup for the program starts tomorrow. I'm staying at the RC Tokyo next week and would love an upgrade...
starts 9/15/10
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by keeton
What I can't fathom is why they made the Ritz Rewards a separate program.

Elite qualifying nights are the same for both programs (e.g. 75 nights for platinum) but given the price point and number of RC properties (73), I would imagine a scant few would earn elite status in the RR program.

Marriott has stated that you can be a memeber of the RR program or MR program, but not both.

Does this mean that they will be bringing the Courtyard Club back?
in both programs you earn night credit by staying at any MI branded hotel so you're not limited to earning RZ Status by staying only at RZ branded hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.