FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ritz Carlton (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton-760/)
-   -   Additional charges when using MR points for a Ritz Carlton stay in Grand Cayman? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton/1026870-additional-charges-when-using-mr-points-ritz-carlton-stay-grand-cayman.html)

HappyCheesehead Dec 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Additional charges when using MR points for a Ritz Carlton stay in Grand Cayman?

I have reserved a week at the GC RC on points. The reservation states:"Using your points will cover your room charge and tax, but additional service charges or resort fees may apply. Please inquire at check-in".

Well, I do not think I will wait until check in to find out as there is a 10% per night service charge (but based on what room price if staying on points?) and a $35 per night resort fee if setting up a paid reservation. That could add $90 to $100 per night.

Can anyone who has used points at the GC RC please advise if you were or were not subject to these additional fees? I do plan on contacting RC but would like to hear about others experiences in this matter first.

Thanks!

hhoope01 Dec 13, 2009 5:31 am

I don't remember any "resort" fees being applied when the wife and I stayed there on points last year. Though we did charge quite a bit to the room, so I guess it is possible there was some type of charge.

If you want a room upgrade to a better view or a club room, they will charge for that. I think the manager showed us a very nice oceanfront view that we could have upgraded to for around $100/night. While the view was very nice, we decided the money would be better spent on some extra excursions and shopping.

HappyCheesehead Dec 13, 2009 9:46 am

Thank you, hhoope01.

I think you would have noticed an extra $650 or so for a weeks stay, but if you wouldn't, more power to you :) !

Perhaps they are not BOTH charged for a points stay. The $35 resort fee per night is a flat fee per room, so I can almost see that add on not being noticed, but I would wonder what 10% service charge would be based on? The lowest room rate listed on the reservation system right now is $569, so that would be an extra $57 per night, but a rack rate could be much higher.

I hope IrieDame will also see this thread, from my searches on this topic I know at least the two of you had recent points stays.

I am still debating Marriott vs RC on Grand Cayman, and have not made my mind up yet. I know the RC is much nicer, at at only 10,000 more points it is a great deal, but we are not fancy folks (I, of course, do want a nicely kept and clean room) and do not really need tons of resort amenities. We would not go to a spa, and our room will be much further from the beach at the RC. Also, in a bit of reverse snobbism, I do wonder if the clientele at the RC will be a bit too upscale for the likes of me. Hubby is Marriott Plat, so I think we would at least have a chance at an upgrade at the Marriott, and the snorkeling off the beach there might be fun so the Marriott does have its plusses.

VickiSoCal Dec 13, 2009 10:13 am

I think I'm with you. We are more swim/snorkel people than fancy spa/restaurant people. Both have nice pools, at the Marriott you are likely to get upgraded and the food and drinks are likely to be quite a bit cheaper. We like to do dinner offsite mostly anyways.

hhoope01 Dec 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by HappyCheesehead (Post 12977259)
...but I would wonder what 10% service charge would be based on?

I can promise that we did not receive a 10% service charge.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about how "fancy" RC patrons will be versus the Marriott's. You'll have families with kids at both. The main pool at the RC is definitely better than the Marriott's pool, and the RC also has a "quiet" or adults only pool if you don't want to be inundated with kids running around and such.

We did eat onsite once while at the RC. I think there was a Monday night 'all-you-can-eat' buffet that included lobsters that we chose to eat. It was definitely good, but it was expensive. So we ate off site for the rest of our stay.

HappyCheesehead Dec 13, 2009 4:30 pm

I am glad to hear you did not have the 10% charge hhoope01. If I did decide on the RC and they did charge the 35 per night resort fee it would not be that bad, although in principle I think it is wrong to charge service and resort fees on top of the room fee. If it is not optional it should be included in the rate. In 2007 we had an award stay at the Marriott Wailea and their resort fee was optional and we did not choose to pay it.

Thanks also for the input on the pools. Was the quiet pool really quiet and child free? We were at the JW in Phuket, Thailand last December and although one pool was supposed to be a quiet pool it certainly was not enforced. That is a real sticky wicket for hotels.

I would suspect we would also eat off site for most of our meals. I don't even want to bring really dressy clothes, just capri's, shorts, sandals, etc. and although we enjoy our food it doesn't need to be gourmet and it is not something we generally go out of our way for.

Vicki - did you also stay at the Marriott? Did you get an upgrade?

VickiSoCal Dec 13, 2009 4:48 pm

No never stayed there, just saying I would probably be happier at the Marriott for the same reasons you stated. The only Carribean Marriott I've stayed at was in Curacao and I liked it a lot, even though it doesn't have a ton of resort amenities. Right on the beach is what makes me happy!

hhoope01 Dec 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by HappyCheesehead (Post 12979243)
Thanks also for the input on the pools. Was the quiet pool really quiet and child free?

Yes, that pool was quiet and I don't remember seeing any kids near that pool. There was one incident where one of the RC employees got a very "excited" and caused a small commotion. But it was handled very quickly, he was ushered out, and then a manager came around and offered free drinks to everyone there to apologize for the issue.

bsdstone Dec 14, 2009 6:36 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 12979341)
No never stayed there, just saying I would probably be happier at the Marriott for the same reasons you stated. The only Carribean Marriott I've stayed at was in Curacao and I liked it a lot, even though it doesn't have a ton of resort amenities. Right on the beach is what makes me happy!

The Marriott in Cayman vs. the Ritz is like a Motel 6 vs. a Four Seasons. The Ritz is on the best stretch of 7 mile beach, IMHO, and the Marriott basically doesn't have a beach. We walked the Marriott property while there a few years ago and were very glad we chose the Westin (stayed free vs. paying for the Ritz).

VickiSoCal Dec 14, 2009 10:31 am

Which has the best nearby snorkeling? By no beach do you mean no wide stretch of sand for lounging? We don't lounge, we swim, snorkel, kayak, etc.

PWMFlyer19 Dec 14, 2009 11:00 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone (Post 12981985)
The Marriott in Cayman vs. the Ritz is like a Motel 6 vs. a Four Seasons. The Ritz is on the best stretch of 7 mile beach, IMHO, and the Marriott basically doesn't have a beach. We walked the Marriott property while there a few years ago and were very glad we chose the Westin (stayed free vs. paying for the Ritz).

The Marriott has re-done the beach and it is just as wide as other parts. They really need to update the website pictures. Was there in March 2009.

Snorkelling is great in front of Marriott with the new reef balls they put in. The interiors have also been all re-done.

I would choose the Ritz but it is not nearly as bad as a Motel 6 vs a Four Season.

Cheers.

stinger Dec 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19 (Post 12983624)
The Marriott has re-done the beach and it is just as wide as other parts. They really need to update the website pictures. Was there in March 2009.

Snorkelling is great in front of Marriott with the new reef balls they put in. The interiors have also been all re-done.

I would choose the Ritz but it is not nearly as bad as a Motel 6 vs a Four Season.

Cheers.

I was there in March 2009 as well. I wonder if we met. ;)

I have to second the above poster that the beach was very wide in front of the Marriott and the reef balls provide for okay snorkelling directly in front of the hotel. The marriott rooms are fine with new bedding and LCD TV's. Walked through the Ritz and sure it is nice, just not the comparison as suggested above. First of all, the Ritz doesn't compare to the Four Seasons. ;)

We found the Marriott to be perfectly comfortable. The all inclusive package for four nights also provided for a very cheap vacation!

If it has been years since you visited a property, please be aware that things may have changed.

hhoope01 Dec 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by stinger (Post 12992296)
We found the Marriott to be perfectly comfortable. The all inclusive package for four nights also provided for a very cheap vacation!

Realize the cost difference for the OP between the Marriott and the RC is only 10K points. Given that small a cost difference, I would always choose the RC over the Marriott. While the Marriott is nice and it sounds like the beach it is on is looking better, the RC is still a step up (maybe not 6 or 7 steps up though.) :)

Your point about the ability to purchase an all-inclusive option with points at the Marriott is a good one. While the all-inclusive add-on award has a sizeable point cost, it might be worth looking into (especially if there are only two of you.) That option can save quite a bit of money. Most of the nicer reestaurants on the island can be pricey. So if the OP has extra points, and values cash more, this is worth looking into. (But it is only an option while staying at the Marriott on an award. The RC doesn't have an all-inclusive option using points.)

stinger Dec 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 12992658)
Realize the cost difference for the OP between the Marriott and the RC is only 10K points. Given that small a cost difference, I would always choose the RC over the Marriott. While the Marriott is nice and it sounds like the beach it is on is looking better, the RC is still a step up (maybe not 6 or 7 steps up though.) :)

Your point about the ability to purchase an all-inclusive option with points at the Marriott is a good one. While the all-inclusive add-on award has a sizeable point cost, it might be worth looking into (especially if there are only two of you.) That option can save quite a bit of money. Most of the nicer reestaurants on the island can be pricey. So if the OP has extra points, and values cash more, this is worth looking into. (But it is only an option while staying at the Marriott on an award. The RC doesn't have an all-inclusive option using points.)

The only other point I would add about the Marriott all inclusive package, you really only have one restaurant at the hotel to eat dinner. For four nights, we found it fine, however, if you were staying longer, you may get tired of it. All other service was fine as they give you a booklet at checkin outlining what is included in the package and not. Still pretty decent IMHO, will be using this packing again for four nights in April 2010.

VickiSoCal Dec 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Does the restuarant serve the same food every night? Some resorts with AI options do a rotating menu, for just that reason.