Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

How does tipping (or not) affect Uber ratings and service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I've never tipped Uber, and I've never have problem getting Uber. We are not Uber drivers, so we don't really know how they pick customers, or if they actually spend the time and effort checking customer ratings.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Mama
I've never tipped Uber, and I've never have problem getting Uber. We are not Uber drivers, so we don't really know how they pick customers, or if they actually spend the time and effort checking customer ratings.
Probably depends on the driver. He said the only info they see is the passenger names, the pickup location and their rating and doesn't tell where they are going or how much he makes, so depending on the market it would make sense to look at ratings.

Since I tip cab drivers or a private car driver from the airport, I really don't have an issue tipping an Uber driver since they are providing the same service but I know a lot of people having issues tipping them, just like a lot of people won'ttip a housekeeper at a hotel and others will.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber drivers have to submit their rating of you before they see if you gave them a tip so it doesn't matter. A cash tip before you get out of the car would almost certainly guarantee a five star rating.
arollins likes this.

Last edited by mia; Feb 3, 2023 at 8:25 am Reason: Post copied and spit between two threads.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doppy
Uber drivers have to submit their rating of you before they see if you gave them a tip so it doesn't matter. A cash tip before you get out of the car would almost certainly guarantee a five star rating.
Most Uber drivers won't help you handling the luggage, this one driver came out help me after I got out of the car, so I tip him cash. I guess I still didn't earn a five star rating.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Most Uber drivers won't help you handling the luggage, this one driver came out help me after I got out of the car, so I tip him cash. I guess I still didn't earn a five star rating.

I had a five star rating. Then I didn't tip for a couple of trips, and it became 4.84. Maybe they've closed that loophole so drivers can't do it now, but at the time they absolutely could go back and adjust their passenger ratings. The timing on that was absolutely not a coincidence!
bbbb and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I had a five star rating. Then I didn't tip for a couple of trips, and it became 4.84. Maybe they've closed that loophole so drivers can't do it now, but at the time they absolutely could go back and adjust their passenger ratings. The timing on that was absolutely not a coincidence!
I have been give 5 star rating to all my Uber drivers. I think I may have been too generous. Uber drivers rarely get out of car and help handling luggage. Some drivers even have attitude problems. So now I I will be rating drivers seriously. But to be honest, when you hire a Uber, do you ever check the driver rating, and if it's not five star, do you then cancel it?(you don't see who the driver is before you confirm on the driver/car), and potentially incurr a cancelation fee.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Yep. It's happened to me. I still tip in cash don't want my almost perfect score to drop again.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Yep. It's happened to me. I still tip in cash don't want my almost perfect score to drop again.
same question to you. Do you check driver's rating after you confirm the pickup? Then cancel it if the driver is not five star?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I can only think of one time when an Uber or Lyft rider didn't help me with my luggage (and that was one of the few times I didn't tip). They've alway taken my bag at the airport and put it in the trunk and taken it out of the trunk when they get to my hotel. I am sure they don't want passengers dinging up their car though either with their bags.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Same and I'm someone that hates to pay cash for anything. I want to make sure my rating doesn't drop and want to make sure the driver gets the cash and Uber doesn't take a cut of it.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been give 5 star rating to all my Uber drivers. I think I may have been too generous. Uber drivers rarely get out of car and help handling luggage. Some drivers even have attitude problems. So now I I will be rating drivers seriously. But to be honest, when you hire a Uber, do you ever check the driver rating, and if it's not five star, do you then cancel it?(you don't see who the driver is before you confirm on the driver/car), and potentially incurr a cancelation fee.
I never pay attention to ratings of drivers. I know at one time if you received too many bad ratings you had to do some kind of training or would get disactivated. I can understand rivers looking at ratings though if they depend on tips and if a low rating means the person doesn't tip or is a problem passenger
Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I never pay attention to ratings of drivers. I know at one time if you received too many bad ratings you had to do some kind of training or would get disactivated. I can understand rivers looking at ratings though if they depend on tips and if a low rating means the person doesn't tip or is a problem passenger
so, isn't Uber unfair to the riders? Drivers can see riders' rating before confirming the ride, but rider can not see drivers ratings before confirming the ride. Of course drivers want tip. I guess Uber Apps just need to shiw a flashing rating exclusively to show driver if this rider tip previously. Now I want to know if my driver will help with handling luggage without me begging them, I want to see drivers' rating before I confirm the ride. It goes both way.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
same question to you. Do you check driver's rating after you confirm the pickup? Then cancel it if the driver is not five star?
No I only cancel rides because it's not the type of vehicle I need.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sadly, I've run into a couple of shady drivers who forced me to cancel by idling nearby when they decided they didn't want to accept the trip after the fact.
SPN Lifer, jmw, ikwia and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Sadly, I've run into a couple of shady drivers who forced me to cancel by idling nearby when they decided they didn't want to accept the trip after the fact.
When this has happened to me, I used to just call a separate Lyft and leave the Uber driver behind
bbbb and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.