Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled ride scam from riders

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Cancelled ride scam from riders

Now with covid you wear a mask. Riders now have been canceling and using "driver had no mask" as the reason thereby avoiding the fee which means you don't get paid and get a " Health safety violation" on your account. Be Aware. Uber and especially Lyft always take the riders word.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Unbelievable people would pull that, and it's probably the passengers that don't tip. If a driver really didn't have a mask on then why did they get in the car and go for the ride in the first place?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:33 am
Original Poster

True only in this case it was going to be a no show because I never saw the rider. They cancelled just before I clicked the now show sight unseen.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by drivered
True only in this case it was going to be a no show because I never saw the rider. They cancelled just before I clicked the now show sight unseen.
Sorry misread it, thought you meant someone took the ride and tried to get out of paying. A friend of mine drives for Uber and he said he has to take a photo of himself wearing a mask before he can go online.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I guess this post is more valid in uberpeople.net than here. I too drive for uber as well and have to take a picture with the mask on before logging in.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:45 am
Original Poster

This was on Lyft and after getting on their case they agreed to take it off my account. I now have to take a snapshot before I can log on.. Uber requires it of every driver. Point being they would not pay me for the cancelation. Cheap riders can click driver no mask and get out of a 4 or 5 dollar fre.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by drivered
That is horrible! The lengths some people will go to be cheap are truly astounding. So sorry to hear you are dealing with this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
it's probably the passengers that don't tip.
Those .......s! Not tipping for a service that originally courted customers by promising NO TIPPING REQUIRED (before caving to the pointless guilt-centric culture of begging).

They should all be cancelled.

Nice irrelevancy, BTW.

Last edited by Podcat; Jan 12, 2021 at 8:15 am
Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
This happened to me in reverse: the driver cancelled on me, alleging that I wasn't wearing a mask. (Spoiler alert ... I was.) The app had me take a photo wearing a mask, and nothing ever came of it, but I was still pretty annoyed to be lumped in for even a second with the anti-mask morons.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
It works both ways. In New Delhi it's not uncommon for drivers to vent their ire on passengers who are either a bit fussy (in giving directions or who insist on sticking to their chosen pick-up spot) by hitting the 'rider not wearing mask'.

I've been reported twice - ironically when I booked a ride for my Japanese girlfriend who wears a mask 24x7. Not much I could do except write a scathing letter to Uber.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by Kumar2013
It's not uncommon for drivers to vent their ire on passengers by hitting the 'rider not wearing mask'
How many times can a driver get away with that?

Stupid.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It works both ways. In New Delhi it's not uncommon for drivers to vent their ire on passengers who are either a bit fussy (in giving directions or who insist on sticking to their chosen pick-up spot) by hitting the 'rider not wearing mask'.

I've been reported twice - ironically when I booked a ride for my Japanese girlfriend who wears a mask 24x7. Not much I could do except write a scathing letter to Uber.
Stupid Uber even allows that. If the passenger doesn't have a mask on the driver should cancel and refuse the tip. If the passenger takes off the mask during the ride then they should tell the passenger to put the mask back on and if they refuse pull off when it's safely possible to exit the car and tell the passenger to exit and end the ride.

If a driver wants to take a passenger on a trip with no mask that is their fault, same if a passenger is willing to ride with a driver who has no mask.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold

Three weeks ago, I had a driver in the US send me a message asking where I was going before picking me up at the airport. I was going a bit over 30 miles, but I told him that if cared that he should just cancel. I know drivers want to avoid short trips, but I'm not going to take Uber/Lyft for long trips to and from the airport and then rent a car for the shorter trips...that system doesn't work. He got mad and sat at his location for 20 minutes and then took a circuitous route to get me. 30+ minutes later, he pulled up and then clicked that I wasn't wearing a mask (I assume since it said that the driver had canceled my trip, and it required me to take a picture). He was worried that I might have a short trip so he wasted 30 minutes of his time. Not all drivers are angels. This was Lyft, btw.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by bwallet
Three weeks ago, I had a driver in the US send me a message asking where I was going before picking me up at the airport. I was going a bit over 30 miles, but I told him that if cared that he should just cancel. I know drivers want to avoid short trips, but I'm not going to take Uber/Lyft for long trips to and from the airport and then rent a car for the shorter trips...that system doesn't work. He got mad and sat at his location for 20 minutes and then took a circuitous route to get me. 30+ minutes later, he pulled up and then clicked that I wasn't wearing a mask (I assume since it said that the driver had canceled my trip, and it required me to take a picture). He was worried that I might have a short trip so he wasted 30 minutes of his time. Not all drivers are angels. This was Lyft, btw.
I'm not familiar with Lyft system, but why didn't you cancel on driver? I recall that with Uber, you can cancel within 2 minutes at no cost to you. Just as you mentioned that driver wasted 30+ minutes to them cancel on you, you also wasted 30+ minutes of your time to get a ride as well.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:38 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Lyft sucks. Lyft is the only one that doesn't have a side business delivering food, so with the renewed pandemic unemployment assistance, lots of drivers are going back to not driving, which hurts Lyft, who appears to have laid off as many employees as they could. They've stopped responding on customer service channels (you'll see a bot responding with one of many pre-written "oh no! Please send us a DM with your phone number so that we can look into this!" but they've stopped responding with real humans, and the DMs will go unanswered). I still use Lyft while it still works, but I anticipate having to dispute a charge should something go wrong (ie I get charged the wrong amount) because their customer service has been removed. I was chatting with a driver the other day who said that Lyft driver support has gone silent as well. Lyft has gone to hell since they IPOed.

Lyft also has no way to dispute or remedy a mask violation strike.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm going to have to ask my friend if the driver can change a rating on a passenger like a passenger can change the rating on a driver.
They used to be able to do it through the emailed receipts that they got for every ride, but not anymore.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm pretty sure Doordash or at least some of the delivery services let you change your tip. I've definitely read articles about people putting in high tips to "insure prompt service" but then they dramatically drop the tip at the very end (I think they can even do it after delivery).
That would be Uber Eats. I've only revoked a tip once, and that's because the driver's idea of "Leave at door" was to pull up to my house, opened the passenger side window, and had their passenger leave my food on the sidewalk.

Doordash doesn't have this capability, but if someone complains to customer service to change or revoke the tip, they will do it. (I've never had to do it, so far I haven't had any issues with Doordash drivers)

Last edited by diburning; Mar 28, 2021 at 4:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.