Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Sneaky Tactic from Uber drivers at LAXit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
New Sneaky Tactic from Uber drivers at LAXit

Dear folks,
I would start with the story as it would give you better understanding rather than summarizing the situation.

Yesterday evening, at LAX, I took the LAXit shuttle and I called an Uber Comfort because the price interval from my destination was only $3 more than UberX ( $24-29 to be specific ). However, during the next 5 minutes, no driver could be found and the system suggested drives for $50-140 where it gave you the option to accept the ride or not. After 10 minutes when the system could find no vehicles, the search has been dropped.

Shortly later, I asked for an UberX ( $21-26 ) and it kept doing the same thing offering me a Honda Accord ride for $90, a ride with a Prius for $65, and a ride with a Rav4 for $145. At some point, I found a driver that was willing to take me for $29 and pressed "Accept the ride", however, guess what. The driver canceled the ride immediately after I accepted it. After the end of another 10 minutes, the search dropped and the price for a Lyft decreased from $31 to $25 so I just called a Lyft for $25 and headed out of the airport with a really friendly driver.

So, the main purpose of myself reporting this experience is that for you to be aware that some Uber drivers are abusing the system. As Uber drivers in California could determine their own prices per mile they traveled, they were abusing the system and asking for abnormal mile per $ rates as customers they thought that customers had no other choice. The most ironic part was that most of the drivers the system offered were already parking at the LAXit lot ( rather than the cell phone waiting lot a mile ahead ) but waiting for customers that accept the high and mark-up rates set by the drivers.

Surprisingly, there were no cars at the Lyft lane so many people were waiting for their rides over there. Surprisingly, my Lyft rider had told me that there were hundreds of drivers waiting at the cell phone ride lot ( I assume that they are not all only working for Lyft - some for Uber or Opoli ).

It's a huge downgrade that Uber eliminated the digit code where you took the first available car in line and allowed this system where some drivers are able to abuse the system.
Auto Enthusiast and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 3:45 am

All because Uber has to ensure that their drivers are independent contractors. The drivers set the price and can refuse trips by destination
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by nd2010
All because Uber has to ensure that their drivers are independent contractors. The drivers set the price and can refuse trips by destination
Sucks for the passengers but I think it's fair for the drivers if they are a 1099-misc contractor and paying the SE taxes. If I'm having painting done at my house by a self employed contractor they are going to set the price or I can offer them an amount and if they don't find that amount to be enough to be profitable they simply reject the project.

I know someone that drives for Uber and he only takes people with a 4.9 or higher rating figuring they won't tip. The drivers are doing it to make money.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I agree that Uber drivers have the right to set up their prices.
But, then why, Uber isn't showing the average price for what drivers are asking at the moment but showing much cheaper fares?

I can't speak for CA state but in general, before accepting rides, Uber drivers are able to see the name, the rating, the location where the rider is, and the distance of the passengers' requested ride. They are not able to see the requesting passengers' destination.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I agree that Uber drivers have the right to set up their prices.
But, then why, Uber isn't showing the average price for what drivers are asking at the moment but showing much cheaper fares?

I can't speak for CA state but in general, before accepting rides, Uber drivers are able to see the name, the rating, the location where the rider is, and the distance of the passengers' requested ride. They are not able to see the requesting passengers' destination.
The Uber driver I know said it only shows the passengers name and rating and pick up point and not distance of fare. He hasn't driven since covid started so maybe it's changed, he told me he is making a lot more doing food delivery and know the distance and amount he'll make up front before taking an order and doesn't plan to go back to doing ride share.

Maybe it's different in Ohio than CA.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In LAX on April 9, the drivers did the same thing and I got a yellow taxi, because the drivers were doing the same trick.

Good news is that since April 23, Uber drivers are no longer allowed to set their own price per mile so you would pay the price you see on the app and it's up to the driver to accept it or not. I am sad for those drivers who actually put in reasonable prices but this is really good news as drivers were cherry-picking customers and it was impossible to find Uber drivers at LAX or several places in the LA area.

Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
While it is fair for drivers to be able to accept a price they can live with, what is not fair is when the drivers accept the ride, you wait and wait, the driver cancels, and then UBER offers you another ride for 4x the fare.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
While it is fair for drivers to be able to accept a price they can live with, what is not fair is when the drivers accept the ride, you wait and wait, the driver cancels, and then UBER offers you another ride for 4x the fare.
Agree, driver should get disactivated for pulling that crap. It's no better than a cab driver long hauling you.
diburning likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.