Uber Cash Balance top ups no longer earning 5% back

Old Mar 9, 20, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Uber Cash Balance top ups no longer earning 5% back

Got the following email today. Almost missed it as I auto-sort all non essential emails into a "to be read later" folder.
Changes to how you earn extra Uber Cash
Hi Lainys,

As of Wednesday, April 8, you will no longer receive a promotional discount when topping up your Uber Cash balance. Not to worry, you can still use your Uber Cash across rides, Eats, and JUMP to plan ahead for future trips while managing your spend.

Looking to continue earning extra Uber Cash? Check out the Uber Credit Card, which lets you earn 5% back in Uber Cash on all your Uber purchases.
Old Mar 9, 20, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hertz President's Circle, Uber Platinum
This removes any incentive to prepay. It also makes the Uber credit card make a little more sense. That said I get 3% cash back from Uber charges to my main travel credit card vs 5% Uber cash on my Uber card. Actual cash is more valuable than Uber cash. After the unfavorable changes to the Uber card I decided to stop using the Uber card. I’m leaning towards not starting to use it again partly because I’m annoyed about the bait and switch tactics they used to get me to sign up for the card in the first place. Also due to the CoronaVirus situation I won’t be surprised if a corporate travel ban goes into effect with short notice, possibly leaving me with an unused Uber cash balance. Nice timing Uber!
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA CK (3MM), Marriott LTT and Ambassador, Uber Diamond, UA Gold
This is a disappointing change.

FYI -- the maximum discount for Uber cash was lowered to 3% somewhat recently...maybe around the beginning of 2020? I forget exactly when.

Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I get 3% cash back from Uber charges to my main travel credit card
Which card is that?
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hertz President's Circle, Uber Platinum
Originally Posted by ikwia View Post

Which card is that?
Wells Fargo Propel
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador, Uber Diamond, Amtrak Select Plus
I lost the 5% discount late last year as they removed from heavy users then ...... I started buying from Raise where I can still get a discount.

https://www.raise.com/buy-uber-gift-cards
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by fmastr View Post
I lost the 5% discount late last year as they removed from heavy users then ...... I started buying from Raise where I can still get a discount.

https://www.raise.com/buy-uber-gift-cards
Did they really change the discount terms depending on your use? How much do you spend on Uber per year? Did you lose the discount entirely, or see it reduced from 5 to 3%?
Old Mar 10, 20, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
If you have the Amazon credit card (either the store card, or the Chase one), you can buy Uber gift cards on Amazon, and get the 5% off.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador, Uber Diamond, Amtrak Select Plus
Originally Posted by ikwia View Post
Did they really change the discount terms depending on your use? How much do you spend on Uber per year? Did you lose the discount entirely, or see it reduced from 5 to 3%?
Yes, they removed the discount completely. They started based on usage of the 5% discount last year. I would always top up my Uber cash account at the 5% discount and use those funds for all rides, business or otherwise. My Uber spend is in the $12-15k range per year and I easily blow away the Diamond level rewards category criteria.
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by fmastr View Post
Yes, they removed the discount completely. They started based on usage of the 5% discount last year. I would always top up my Uber cash account at the 5% discount and use those funds for all rides, business or otherwise. My Uber spend is in the $12-15k range per year and I easily blow away the Diamond level rewards category criteria.
Yeah, I know they got rid of the discount. What I was really questioning was the assertion that different riders got different discounts based on their usage. I'm in the same spend range as you, so I was curious if someone with more or less spend saw a different pattern of availability of the discount.
Old Mar 21, 20, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Sounds like it may be different for individuals. I spend enough to be Uber Gold not enough to be Platinum. Checking my app and the 5% Uber Cash discount (for $95 prepay) is still available for my account. I just used my Wells Fargo Amex Propel to top up another $100 to stack the discounts (5% for Uber Cash + 3% for Propel card.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: