Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

SuperShuttle shutters--will cease operations at the end of the year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SuperShuttle shutters--will cease operations at the end of the year

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
For LAX and SFO, PrimeTime already operates Opoli which is a service getting same treatments as Uber and Lyft.

I just checked Opoli and it's over 3X the fare of Uber/Lyft. Apparently nicer cars than Uber X and maybe the drivers are wearing suits or uniforms.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by wco81
It's not just SS. Other shared shuttle services have disappeared too. There was one that really underpriced SS. I wonder what happened to all those vans.

If ride sharing apps. are going to disrupt anything, I'ld like to see them ruin these long-term airport parking services, which are charging ridiculous prices, like $150 or more at SFO for 2 weeks. That's well over the round-trip cost of Uber/Lyft down to San Jose or other points an hour away from SFO.

I see former Bayporter Express vans from time to time around the area - you can tell where the lettering was removed, as the paint isn't as faded. As for your parking wish, be careful what you wish for. While the price of parking isn't necessarily competitive to Uber/Lyft if you live relatively close in, the cost of running the lots (i.e., probably close to $25/hr for the total wage cost per employee work hour, keeping the vans in decent shape, a few $ per every circle around the airport, and so on) isn't necessarily cheap. What we could easily end up with is the SFO lots simply selling their real estate for much more than they're making in the parking business, and there will be fewer lots with even higher pricing.

As far as Uber/Lyft pricing, it is quite variable, and I've seen rates nearing $100 at peak times for a 25 mile ride. They're rarely under $50 anymore.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Any shuttle service from PHX? I used Execucar or SS.

Both Lyft and Uber were making noises to stop airport service if they levied a higher dropoff/pickup fee. I see Lyft doing pickups in the app today. Family members coming back next week.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
SS website is still up.
I just tried a test booking, and it didn't error out...
(No, I did not complete the booking.)
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Uber and Lyft are not charging real prices , with Super shuttle gone it makes "real" prices closer.

is it still interesting at 50% more ? and you will not have Super Shuttle for a backup anymore.
That's obviously the business strategy for Uber/Lyft - smoke out the competition so you can raise prices to a sustainable level after everyone is hooked on the service. The problem is, I think, that in the markets where they get most of their revenue (e.g., London, NY, SF), there will always be competing services - namely taxis and even other livery car services (e.g., Minicabs, Carmel/Dial), as well as good public transportation options.

In contrast, in the 'burbs, I think they've definitely created a new market (or significantly expanded the small taxi industry there), but I don't think they'll ever get the scale they need.
When I used to come home from college (mid-90s), I'd take the train to New Brunswick, NJ, and have to sit and wait at the taxi office until there was a car (and often other pax) to take me home if my parents weren't available to pick me up. Such a hassle. So much easier nowadays I'm sure!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:25 am
Suspended

Or they should just merge.

Then see if they can underprice taxis.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Just got a notice, Uber will only show a price estimate and actual price of ride will be calculated at end of trip in CA.

I know it doesn't have to do with SS and other shared airport transfer services disappearing but what timing.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by wco81
Just got a notice, Uber will only show a price estimate and actual price of ride will be calculated at end of trip in CA.

I know it doesn't have to do with SS and other shared airport transfer services disappearing but what timing.
It is all about passage of AB 5 and an attempt to show that drivers are ICs, not employees, as there's now also more driver control on ride acceptance / rejection, etc.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Oh I know there were legislative changes driving this

Just wondering if there are going to be surprises the next time I take a 1-hour ride to SFO.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I hope they disclose the details behind how they calculate the fare - namely the per-mile and per-minute rates.

But I'm still not really sure I understand how removing the predetermined fare supports the argument that they're independent contractors and not employees, if they're still allowed more control over whether to accept or reject a ride (and provided with necessary information to make that decision, like pickup/dropoff location -- and the fare!). It's not like they're setting their own rates, right?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ijgordon
In contrast, in the 'burbs, I think they've definitely created a new market (or significantly expanded the small taxi industry there), but I don't think they'll ever get the scale they need.
When I used to come home from college (mid-90s), I'd take the train to New Brunswick, NJ, and have to sit and wait at the taxi office until there was a car (and often other pax) to take me home if my parents weren't available to pick me up. Such a hassle. So much easier nowadays I'm sure!
This is my primary Uber/Lyft use case... the "last mile" to/from suburban train stations. (And, secondarily, airports to downtown where there is no good transit option and I'm not renting a car.)

I wonder what effect the increased availability of rail transit to airports has helped kill off SuperShuttle and similar services. eg I remember taking them in from SFO before BART. In the last two decades or so, we've seen rail links to SFO, OAK, JFK, EWR, SEA, PDX, DEN, MIA, MSP, DFW and SLC come on line. It seems like these would be a bit more direct competition to SuperShuttle than Uber/Lyft, which seem more like direct competition to taxis and car services.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.