How to use Uber abroad without raking up roaming charges?

Old Oct 26, 19, 10:56 am
Original Poster

How to use Uber abroad without raking up roaming charges?

I have never used Uber before so asking very basic question.
Lets say I have international roaming activated on my home country account but disabled at my phone. I land in a foreign country, use wifi to summon Uber.
For some reason, driver or I need to communicate. At this point I don't have sim from destination country and my whatsapp number is VoIP and different than the number associated with Uber account. Also most likely wifi wont work in the pickup area.
So how do I/driver communicate? Does Uber allow a person to add a second number(VoIP) to the account?
And secondly when I do manage to get a local sim after a day an order Uber, how can I ensure that this number us used to communicate with Uber?
Thirdly What happens when you order Uber from airport to X place but can't find the car due to some confusion?
And final question - How can I contact Uber for help and support?
Thank you to anyone, in advance, who can reply to any question mentioned above
Old Oct 26, 19, 8:45 pm

Uber does not allow two phone number. You should try to get a local sim from the airport.
Old Oct 26, 19, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
You've ignored the basic problem of using uber in other countries - unless you speak/write the local language all your other issues (except where to find the car - which is usually specified in the app) are irrelevant. You can't communicate with a driver even with a phone number if they speak Greek and you speak English!

If you haven't used uber before I strongly suggest you use it in your home country before using it outside that country.
Old Oct 26, 19, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's a bit overstated. We don't know OP's "home" language, whether he speaks other languages and what country he is talking about, e.g., whether there is a likelihood that an Uber driver will speak one of his languages.

As to the SIM issue, either obtain the SIM card first, purchase it before leaving, or simply use a plan which includes or at least permits the addition of international data. All depending on the plan, it may be quite reasonable so long as you aren't using it to stream HD video content.

As to communicating with the driver, consider using the SMS function while still on WiFi. I can't speak for every arrivals area in the world, but for the most part, if there is WiFi at the airport, it covers the immediate pick up and drop off areas.
Old Oct 27, 19, 6:46 am
Original Poster

How do I use the "foreign" sim?

Thanks all for replying and sharing your thoughts.
The fact that I still will have problems in communicating with driver in case I dont know the local language is a good one, although in this specific case I can get by because I know some words and can use google translate at airport.
However, I am confused with suggestion to buy sim from airport or city that I am heading to. My Uber number is tied to my account and hence will remain my home city number. Are you guys switching your uber phone numbers when you arrive in a different country?.
Old Oct 27, 19, 9:25 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
When I use uber in another country I just use wifi/international mobile modem or just swap my sim. Uber won't ask you to login again if you swap your sim.
Old Oct 28, 19, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just use Verizon's "TravelPass" which is $10/day and gives me effectively unlimited calls/texts/data. I'm rarely out of the country for more than a week, and so the $70 or so is just part of the cost of traveling overseas. I'm sure I could do it for less, but probably with compromises.
T-mobile has unlimited international roaming I think (albeit at slower data speeds, and not sure about phone calls).
Not sure about AT&T.

This way, I don't have to think about this when using Uber or anything else.
Old Oct 28, 19, 5:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
You just need a data connection, either roaming or from a local sim, or even WiFi

Iíve used Uber all over the world with no problems
Old Oct 28, 19, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
You just need a data connection, either roaming or from a local sim, or even WiFi

Iíve used Uber all over the world with no problems
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
When I use uber in another country I just use wifi/international mobile modem or just swap my sim. Uber won't ask you to login again if you swap your sim.
Thanks, I am all set now.
woohooo
Old Oct 31, 19, 10:12 am

Right now I have Google Fi so I could call driver on the cheap internationally. But before when I have AT&T, I used a Google Voice number to registered with Uber and Lyft. I can then use Hangout app to make calls in any country paying the same rate as Google Fi as long as I have WiFi (data) connection. It is not just for Uber/Lyft, Google Voice with Hangout app is pretty handy if you want call home to US with just only data connection. It is free to call US numbers. I use it to make calls to US on cruise ships too with just their internet package.
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Right now I have Google Fi so I could call driver on the cheap internationally. But before when I have AT&T, I used a Google Voice number to registered with Uber and Lyft. I can then use Hangout app to make calls in any country paying the same rate as Google Fi as long as I have WiFi (data) connection. It is not just for Uber/Lyft, Google Voice with Hangout app is pretty handy if you want call home to US with just only data connection. It is free to call US numbers. I use it to make calls to US on cruise ships too with just their internet package.
I also use a Google Voice number for Uber and Lyft. No problem anywhere in the world.

Search this Thread