Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drivers encouraging private cash transactions.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

Drivers encouraging private cash transactions.

Due to recent back problems, I have been unable to drive. Thus, am dependent on Uber/Lyft. I have noticed that more and more, drivers are encouraging me to contact them directly for rides. What is not explicit, but understood, is that this will be a cash transaction. Is this common?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would not say this is a surprise.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:28 am

I have gotten a ride within the app and then handed a business card and told to call the driver directly for a return trip if before X o'clock. Haven't done it yet.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, it is common. No different than traditional car services where drivers cut out the middleman.

It may violate the services' T&C for the drivers, but from the customer perspective it may be preferable (or not). Entirely up to you. Note that it does likely mean paying cash at a negotiated rate and that you won't have any of the insurance or other protections afforded by the services' umbrella policies. In a major city where a 3-4 minute wait for a car seems average, it seems odd. Perhaps more useful in a rural area.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've never encountered this yet. I did encounter a driver telling me that he had passengers who wanted to book him specifically in future, but he explained to them that the system didn't allow for that (you get who you get).
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Doesn’t happen (well hasn’t happened to me) here in the U.K. But here Uber is far more of a formalised, properly licensed and regulated taxi service (albeit with an end to end user experience that is killing rivals). Come to think of it, never happened in Paris or Kampala either.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:20 pm

Common in rural/suburban areas, unheard of in big cities.

Well - actually, once in NYC, a Lyft driver pitched me on Juno and gave me his referral code. But Juno is above board. I wouldn't do private cash transactions, but I know others are comfortable with it, save money, and have a reliably good driver each time.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Over the last few years, I've ended up with a couple of Lyft drivers who were really good, and who were local to me. We then arranged going forward to simply call/text when I needed a ride and if they were available they would do it. With the latest, we settled on a home-to airport rate of about 2/3 of what Lyft typically charges, which still gives him more than he would retain if it were a Lyft ride.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're paying cash directly to the driver, isn't that just an (unlicensed) taxi service?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:37 pm

Makes sense. Grubhub and delivery companies are stealing business from stores (buying their website, putting out phone numbers that go through them and aren't actually the stores so they can charge them a cut), I guess drivers think they better get in on the action too.
Anything illegal about it?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:58 am

Anything illegal? Just what the poster before you suggested. if this is considered to be an unlicensed taxi service I'd be concerned at the implications... particularly liability insurance.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rickg523
If you're paying cash directly to the driver, isn't that just an (unlicensed) taxi service?
Originally Posted by trooper
Anything illegal? Just what the poster before you suggested. if this is considered to be an unlicensed taxi service I'd be concerned at the implications... particularly liability insurance.
Yes - it is illegal. So?

(Note - in many times, legality is not a factor of decision-making...)
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
Common in rural/suburban areas, unheard of in big cities.

Well - actually, once in NYC, a Lyft driver pitched me on Juno and gave me his referral code. But Juno is above board. I wouldn't do private cash transactions, but I know others are comfortable with it, save money, and have a reliably good driver each time.
Same.

​​​​Juno is not cash transactions, however; just another ride sharing service.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
And Uber was an unlicensed taxi service before too. It was definitely illegal.
What you mean is that the drivers won't have enough insurance to cover something major, while Uber does have deep pockets, and sometimes pays out. But that's the same for everything. We all know Uber doesn't make you safer, and there are many reports of Uber drivers killing/raping people.

My question is why you want to support an organization that is obviously a "bad actor"?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Yes - it is illegal. So?

(Note - in many times, legality is not a factor of decision-making...)
Well in the situation cited here, you're essentially just paying a friend for a ride. But outside of Penn Station, you hopping in any old gypsy cab to save a few bucks?

Last edited by rickg523; Aug 10, 2019 at 3:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.