FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Uber keeps suspending payment methods or my account due to fraud suspicion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1967727-uber-keeps-suspending-payment-methods-my-account-due-fraud-suspicion.html)

strife May 1, 2019 2:18 am

Uber keeps suspending payment methods or my account due to fraud suspicion

Over the last year, Uber has twice suspended use of my CSR and once suspended my entire account from use. It is a huge hassle getting things reinstated, generally involving 10+ support e-mails back-and-forth, because the initial CS agents never know that the reason for suspension is fraud so they keep giving me inaccurate information (both times Uber suspended my CSR, they initially claimed it was no longer compatible with their systems - whatever that means - and when they suspended my account, they initially claimed I violated the Uber terms and conditions). Every time, I have had to threaten that I will not use Uber again, at which point someone from the "Priority Support Team" finally contacts me and admits that Uber's systems incorrectly flagged the card or my account for fraud, and then they reinstate my CSR or my account.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to force a response from the "Priority Support Team"? It is really disappointing that the customer support is so bad, especially when Uber is touting its new loyalty program (for the record, Uber Platinum, 4.9 rating over >1000 rides).

I think I might just use Uber from now on only to use up the Amex Platinum credit, and stick to Lyft...

davie355 May 10, 2019 11:53 am

The only method of escalation is to reply to their messages and say you are not satisfied with the response.

As to cards getting suspended, I requested a $50 ride this morning from a new credit card. The card issuer then texted me immediately with a fraud alert, asking me to confirm the charge to Uber. I’ve been paying for Uber with cards from the same issuer for 8 years, so I’m not sure what triggered this alert. Anyway, this has been my only experience similar to yours.

strife May 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 31087599)
The only method of escalation is to reply to their messages and say you are not satisfied with the response.

As to cards getting suspended, I requested a $50 ride this morning from a new credit card. The card issuer then texted me immediately with a fraud alert, asking me to confirm the charge to Uber. I’ve been paying for Uber with cards from the same issuer for 8 years, so I’m not sure what triggered this alert. Anyway, this has been my only experience similar to yours.

That is unfortunate as the back-and-forth with Uber customer support has taken several days each time. In the case of the account suspension, that took more than a week to resolve. I am just going to move my travel over to Lyft. They just offered me their 10% off ride pass anyway.

As far as the CC suspension, it is entirely on Uber's end. Chase does not (or at least has claimed they do not) see the charge attempts when Uber has suspended my CSR.

strife Jun 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Sadly Uber has suspended my CSR again. This is the second time it has happened in Chicago. I am now on the third back-and-forth with Uber CS as again they are claiming that my CSR is somehow no longer compatible with their billing system. It is so frustrating trying to get a hold of the Priority Support Team.

strife Jul 31, 2019 3:44 pm

Uber suspended my AMEX Platinum at some point. Fortunately my help request was answered directly by the Priority Support Team and it was resolved the next day. Still very inconvenient even if an improvement over my past experience.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I have a hard time believing I am the only one.

bemis Aug 1, 2019 3:04 am

I use Uber all the time, and have not experienced this. It may be worth double checking your address with them is exactly the same as your billing address in the card- a mismatch of the zip code or some such may be the root cause.

strife Aug 6, 2019 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by bemis (Post 31366167)
I use Uber all the time, and have not experienced this. It may be worth double checking your address with them is exactly the same as your billing address in the card- a mismatch of the zip code or some such may be the root cause.

Uber does not ask for anything address-related other than the zip code. It is not a zip code issue as Uber will not even allow the CC to be entered with a zip code mismatch.

strife Oct 5, 2019 5:45 pm

I was able to find out the reason for my past payment method and account suspensions - and entirely by accident which truly shows the incompetence of Uber and its customer support. In short, Uber payment systems sometimes have trouble processing tips when Uber Cash is used for part payment or the tip is given at a much later time, such as the next day. Uber systems will fail to process the payment but then treat it as if the payment actually failed with the CC company and then suspend the CC and possibly ding the account for fraud.

I only found out about this because my CSR was suspended once again and upon contact with support, the representative described the issue and mentioned offhand that it was the same issue I had previously.

I reviewed my trip history in depth in an attempt to identify the precise trips or orders during which the problem occurred. It appears to be most often when Uber Cash balance is sufficient to cover the payment due for the ride or order, but the remaining Uber Cash balance is insufficient to cover the tip. In that case Uber fails to use the Uber Cash balance or charge the CC and then believes there is an outstanding balance on the account. Another two of the suspensions apparently occurred when I attempted to add a tip more than 24 hours later. However suspensions did not occur in every circumstance so there are likely other factors involved.

What is a bit appalling is that when I reviewed my past transactions it appears that in no cases was the tip I attempted to give ever actually processed. So the driver got screwed by Uber and so did I.

From an ethical standpoint, I'm honestly not sure I can continue to use Uber, $15/month AMEX credit or not.