Lyft trials taxi-like lines at airports

Old Apr 15, 19, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Lyft trials taxi-like lines at airports

Being tested at SAN to start:

The new service, expected to be live in mid-May, essentially eliminates the hassle of ordering a Lyft ride and then having to hunt through a weaving line of cars for the right car and driver. With this feature, users order a ride and are immediately issued a 4-digit code. The user then gets into a line at the airport much like the taxi lines and awaits their turn for a ride. Once the user reaches the front of the line, he or she shows the code to the next driver. The driver then punches in the code, which links driver and passenger in Lyfts system.
Personally I don't feel that having to look for my driver is that big of a hassle but it should be interesting to see how it goes.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
At some airports (LGA and ORD come to mind), you get significant traffic generated by people trying to find "their" Lyft/Uber, which may be stuck behind other Lyft/Ubers looking to find "their" passengers, who might not be out yet, etc. Being able to just have a "taxi rank" where you get in and go, could be a nice positive.
Old Apr 17, 19, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
... Being able to just have a "taxi rank" where you get in and go, could be a nice positive.
They do. It's called a Taxi rank.
ijgordon and chrisny2 like this.
Old Apr 18, 19, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
They do. It's called a Taxi rank.
With less comfortable vehicles and higher prices.
Old Apr 18, 19, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
With less comfortable vehicles and higher prices.
The prices are higher because taxis charge a realistic amount/ride. As I'm sure you're aware, there have been many reports concluding that most Lyft/Uber drivers make little to nothing when all costs associated with using their private vehicles as taxis are accurately calculated.

Reports of Lyft lowballing on the initial ride request and then charging a higher actual rate (see other thread on this topic) don't surprise me at all, as they're likely figuring out that current prices are unsustainable. It of course may be an honest glitch...we shall see. In any event, prices will have to go up according to the reviews of the economics of ride sharing that I've seen.
Old Apr 18, 19, 7:26 am

The prices are higher because taxis charge a realistic amount/ride. As I'm sure you're aware, there have been many reports concluding that most Lyft/Uber drivers make little to nothing when all costs associated with using their private vehicles as taxis are accurately calculated.

Reports of Lyft lowballing on the initial ride request and then charging a higher actual rate (see other thread on this topic) don't surprise me at all, as they're likely figuring out that current prices are unsustainable. It of course may be an honest glitch...we shall see. In any event, prices will have to go up according to the reviews of the economics of ride sharing that I've seen.
If prices go up, they go up. I'd actually pay a premium for Uber/Lyft vs. taxis. Better vehicles, better customer service.
Old Apr 18, 19, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
I'd be interested to see how the economics work for those drivers who are part of their rental programs, since maintenance is covered by the car rental companies and/or Uber/Lyft. In any event, as someone who knows people who've driven for those services, tipping is definitely appreciated and helps cover some of the gap (but that's a whole different discussion for another thread).
Old Apr 18, 19, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
terrible idea.
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Personally I don't feel that having to look for my driver is that big of a hassle but it should be interesting to see how it goes.
In New York, it absolutely is.
It's my biggest complaint about the rideshare services and the reason I rarely use them here.
I'm usually so aggravated by the time I get into the car, I can't even "enjoy" the nicer vehicle, vs. a taxi.

Of course I understand that in most other cities that taxi service is pretty spotty.
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
In New York, it absolutely is.
It's my biggest complaint about the rideshare services and the reason I rarely use them here.
I'm usually so aggravated by the time I get into the car, I can't even "enjoy" the nicer vehicle, vs. a taxi.

Of course I understand that in most other cities that taxi service is pretty spotty.
Sounds like a problem specific to New York, not ride shares. Replacing the ride share pick up lot/location at most major airports with a taxi like line would not be appreciated. If I want a taxi, Ill head to the taxi line. Making my Lyft ride into a taxi experience? No thanks.
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Segments View Post
[left]

Sounds like a problem specific to New York, not ride shares.
The issue itself is not really specific to New York, IMO/IME, it’s just less tolerable because there are reasonable alternatives to ride sharing.

And if you want a car service experience, you can always...order a car service.
Old Apr 20, 19, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
The issue itself is not really specific to New York, IMO/IME, its just less tolerable because there are reasonable alternatives to ride sharing.

And if you want a car service experience, you can always...order a car service.
Likewise if you want a taxi, you can proceed to the taxi stand.
Old Apr 21, 19, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if you want a Lyft, you can proceed to the Lyft stand.
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:41 am

Seriously, I can't see the downside of this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The downside is simple. It takes space from something else. That may be a shorter taxi line or perhaps less pickup space for private vehicles, shuttles, and the like.

That might not be a problem for an airport with space. But, at an airport where every inch of curb space is used by something, adding another use means taking away from something else.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread