FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Lyft trials taxi-like lines at airports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1965542-lyft-trials-taxi-like-lines-airports.html)

tmiw Apr 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Lyft trials taxi-like lines at airports

Being tested at SAN to start:

The new service, expected to be live in mid-May, essentially eliminates the hassle of ordering a Lyft ride and then having to hunt through a weaving line of cars for the right car and driver. With this feature, users order a ride and are immediately issued a 4-digit code. The user then gets into a line at the airport — much like the taxi lines — and awaits their turn for a ride. Once the user reaches the front of the line, he or she shows the code to the next driver. The driver then punches in the code, which links driver and passenger in Lyft’s system.
Personally I don't feel that having to look for my driver is that big of a hassle but it should be interesting to see how it goes.

cestmoi123 Apr 15, 2019 6:27 pm

At some airports (LGA and ORD come to mind), you get significant traffic generated by people trying to find "their" Lyft/Uber, which may be stuck behind other Lyft/Ubers looking to find "their" passengers, who might not be out yet, etc. Being able to just have a "taxi rank" where you get in and go, could be a nice positive.

Bonehead Apr 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 31004485)
... Being able to just have a "taxi rank" where you get in and go, could be a nice positive.

They do. It's called a Taxi rank.

cestmoi123 Apr 18, 2019 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 31010944)
They do. It's called a Taxi rank.

With less comfortable vehicles and higher prices.

Bonehead Apr 18, 2019 6:46 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 31013385)
With less comfortable vehicles and higher prices.

The prices are higher because taxis charge a realistic amount/ride. As I'm sure you're aware, there have been many reports concluding that most Lyft/Uber drivers make little to nothing when all costs associated with using their private vehicles as taxis are accurately calculated.

Reports of Lyft lowballing on the initial ride request and then charging a higher actual rate (see other thread on this topic) don't surprise me at all, as they're likely figuring out that current prices are unsustainable. It of course may be an honest glitch...we shall see. In any event, prices will have to go up according to the reviews of the economics of ride sharing that I've seen.

cestmoi123 Apr 18, 2019 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 31013420)
The prices are higher because taxis charge a realistic amount/ride. As I'm sure you're aware, there have been many reports concluding that most Lyft/Uber drivers make little to nothing when all costs associated with using their private vehicles as taxis are accurately calculated.

Reports of Lyft lowballing on the initial ride request and then charging a higher actual rate (see other thread on this topic) don't surprise me at all, as they're likely figuring out that current prices are unsustainable. It of course may be an honest glitch...we shall see. In any event, prices will have to go up according to the reviews of the economics of ride sharing that I've seen.

If prices go up, they go up. I'd actually pay a premium for Uber/Lyft vs. taxis. Better vehicles, better customer service.

tmiw Apr 18, 2019 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 31013420)

I'd be interested to see how the economics work for those drivers who are part of their rental programs, since maintenance is covered by the car rental companies and/or Uber/Lyft. In any event, as someone who knows people who've driven for those services, tipping is definitely appreciated and helps cover some of the gap (but that's a whole different discussion for another thread).

cfischer Apr 18, 2019 6:40 pm

terrible idea.

ijgordon Apr 19, 2019 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 31003146)
Personally I don't feel that having to look for my driver is that big of a hassle but it should be interesting to see how it goes.

In New York, it absolutely is.
It's my biggest complaint about the rideshare services and the reason I rarely use them here.
I'm usually so aggravated by the time I get into the car, I can't even "enjoy" the nicer vehicle, vs. a taxi.

Of course I understand that in most other cities that taxi service is pretty spotty.

Segments Apr 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31019012)
In New York, it absolutely is.
It's my biggest complaint about the rideshare services and the reason I rarely use them here.
I'm usually so aggravated by the time I get into the car, I can't even "enjoy" the nicer vehicle, vs. a taxi.

Of course I understand that in most other cities that taxi service is pretty spotty.

Sounds like a problem specific to New York, not ride shares. Replacing the ride share pick up lot/location at most major airports with a taxi like line would not be appreciated. If I want a taxi, I’ll head to the taxi line. Making my Lyft ride into a taxi experience? No thanks.

ijgordon Apr 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Segments (Post 31021040)
[left]

Sounds like a problem specific to New York, not ride shares.

The issue itself is not really specific to New York, IMO/IME, it’s just less tolerable because there are reasonable alternatives to ride sharing.

And if you want a car service experience, you can always...order a car service.

Segments Apr 20, 2019 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31021535)
The issue itself is not really specific to New York, IMO/IME, it’s just less tolerable because there are reasonable alternatives to ride sharing.

And if you want a car service experience, you can always...order a car service.

Likewise if you want a taxi, you can proceed to the taxi stand.

ijgordon Apr 21, 2019 9:37 am

And if you want a Lyft, you can proceed to the Lyft stand. @:-)

WillBarrett_68 Apr 22, 2019 7:41 am

Seriously, I can't see the downside of this.

Often1 Apr 22, 2019 7:48 am

The downside is simple. It takes space from something else. That may be a shorter taxi line or perhaps less pickup space for private vehicles, shuttles, and the like.

That might not be a problem for an airport with space. But, at an airport where every inch of curb space is used by something, adding another use means taking away from something else.