Lyft is so much better than Taxi!

Old Apr 2, 19, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Lyft is so much better than Taxi!

Last week we traveled to DC on a family vacation to see cherry blossoms. I got a Lyft promotion that I paid $9.99 and got $5 off every ride over $10. So just about every ride I got was like $5 to $7. One day we were at the Tidal Basin near Jefferson Memorial and decided to take ride to watch a movie about 3 to 4 miles away. I called a Lyft with a quote of $11 (-$5 would be $6). It said the driver was 14 minutes away. We waited a few minute and didn't see the car moving on the app. And we saw a lot of taxi passed by, so we decided to cancel the Lyft and hop into a taxi as the movie would be starting soon. So the taxi drove us a full circle around the Basin back to almost the starting position. At that point the meter shows $10.xx. And then he said he got lost and turned on his phone's gps and we went on to the theater. When he got there, he drove passed it 2 blocks and said "Oh it's on the other side... " btw he turned off his GPS right before we got there. The meter ended up at $22.xx. I don't really want to argue with him as I am on vacation with my family. After that I told my wife, we are not taking a taxi anymore.

So on our departure date, we have to get a ride from the hotel to DCA very early. There were lots of Taxis waiting to pick up hotel guests, but we decided to call a Lyft because of the previous experience. Everything went smoothly and we got to the airport, checked in, sitting by the terminal. Half an hour later, my wife told me... I think I left my phone in the backseat of the Lyft! So I opened the app, contacted the driver, and immediately he said he found the phone. He could take it back to us, but by then we were 30 min away from boarding. So he said he will turn it in to Lyft and they will mail it back to us. I put in additional tip for him as the phone was $1200 (iPhone XS Max) and we will probably never seen it again if we took a taxi. The next day, Lyft emailed us they have our phone and ready to pick up at their HUB near DCA. I immediately wrote back saying that we are back in California, and the guy wrote back immediately (on a Sunday) that they will ship it back to us free of charge via Fedex. This morning I got a notification from Fedex that the phone is on the way back! This is just amazing and I have to share the experience.
Old Apr 4, 19, 6:20 pm

Thanks for sharing. I hope you didn't tip that taxi driver.

14 minutes is an unusually long time to wait for a Lyft or Uber. Whenever it happens to me I cancel and re-request immediately. In urban areas the wait should be a few minutes max.
Old Apr 4, 19, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Need to say no more:

https://abc7news.com/traffic/sfs-lov...rides/5232481/
Old Apr 4, 19, 10:24 pm

14 minutes is an unusually long time to wait for a Lyft or Uber.

Not necessarily. In the suburbs, distances are long. That means more expensive trips, and you might have to wait a while if cars are far away.
Old Apr 5, 19, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I hope you didn't tip that taxi driver.

14 minutes is an unusually long time to wait for a Lyft or Uber. Whenever it happens to me I cancel and re-request immediately. In urban areas the wait should be a few minutes max.
I rounded up to $ not exactly a tip. We did get to movie on time even with the scenic route around the basin. My wife was saying that now we had seen every single cherry tree up close LOL. 14 min was not that long when I call a Lyft here in LA. Normally it is like 7 to 15 min. We only didn't wait that one time at the basin because we wanted to make it to the movie and we had no idea if that Lyft is actually moving or broke down or don't want to come at all.

Anyway, my wife phone is actually supposed to show up at our door today according to Fedex tracking.
Old Apr 9, 19, 12:47 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
I'm glad that Lyft treats you well in your area. In my area, I will no longer take Lyft. They absolutely suck here. I have an issue every other ride with Lyft, and they don't even have a human respond to me anymore. As much as I hate Uber, I haven't had many issues with them besides their customer service being terrible. With Lyft, both the quality of the drivers and the customer support are terrible.
Old Apr 9, 19, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
I used Lyft for the first time the other day (I normally use Uber if I can't get a ride from friends/family). One nice thing about it is that it seems to auto-cancel if there's a closer driver than the one originally assigned. However, that might have been just a coincidence; I'll need to ride more to see if that happens consistently.

As for the ride itself, it seemed the same as any other rideshare service. I guess I'm fortunate in that I haven't had any major issues with any of my rides.
Old Apr 10, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
One nice thing about it is that it seems to auto-cancel if there's a closer driver than the one originally assigned. However, that might have been just a coincidence; I'll need to ride more to see if that happens consistently.
It's supposed to, but it doesn't always happen. I've had a driver driving away from me for over 10 minutes before it would finally let me cancel without a fee. It could have rematched me instead, but didn't. Since their IPO, I don't even get a real human response anymore unless I contact them on social media.

As much as I hate Uber, right now Uber is better than Lyft (in my area at least)
Old Apr 13, 19, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
I don't know how this Uber vs. Lyft thing will work out when the last 10 rides I've had on Lyft have been serviced by drivers displaying both Uber and Lyft signs in their windshields.
Old Apr 13, 19, 5:47 pm

that's probably 90% of my drivers TBH (I use lyft nearly exclusively). FWIW, I would guess there are more that only do uber than only do lyft.
Old Apr 19, 19, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
I don't know how this Uber vs. Lyft thing will work out when the last 10 rides I've had on Lyft have been serviced by drivers displaying both Uber and Lyft signs in their windshields.
For me it's less about the drivers themselves (as you say, they're the same drivers) and more about the technology interface (which can impact whether the drivers pick you up in the right place or not, whether you're assigned a nearby driver or one heading away to drop someone off first) and customer service when things go wrong. And of course the price. Which means these two companies will never make money as long as they're both around.
Old Apr 19, 19, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
For me it's less about the drivers themselves (as you say, they're the same drivers) and more about the technology interface (which can impact whether the drivers pick you up in the right place or not, whether you're assigned a nearby driver or one heading away to drop someone off first) and customer service when things go wrong. And of course the price. Which means these two companies will never make money as long as they're both around.
It's a bridge service until autonomous, driverless cars come on the scene. Kind of like the Pony Express.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: