FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Seatbelt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1961181-seatbelt.html)

davie355 Mar 16, 2019 3:48 pm

Seatbelt

Every once in a while I get an Uber driver who requests that I wear my seatbelt in the back seat. It is always a weird request. I always comply, however if I am in a state such as California where Uber passengers are exempt by law from wearing a seatbelt, then I will rate the driver poorly.

I was once in an Uber where the driver not only wanted me to wear a seatbelt, but also instructed me to disembark the car quickly at my destination, while the driver nervously checked the rearview mirror for oncoming cars. What awful, non-customer centric behavior. The destination was a hotel with a proper loading zone that the driver somehow did not pull into.

Anyhow, what are others’ thoughts on seatbelts?

skywardhunter Mar 16, 2019 3:52 pm

You should wear them, if a driver is concerned enough for your safety to proactively suggest it I'd be grateful, regardless of whether the location you're in has an ill-advised law that allows you not to wear one. Ubers are more likely to be involved in accidents than other vehicles (I own several)

ajeleonard Mar 16, 2019 4:09 pm

What a monster, looking out for your safety

kennycrudup Mar 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30895133)
.. if a driver is concerned enough for your safety to proactively suggest it ...

... they probably suck at driving?

Anyway, in my case, only when I end up in the front seat.

Eastbay1K Mar 17, 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30895133)
You should wear them, if a driver is concerned enough for your safety to proactively suggest it I'd be grateful, regardless of whether the location you're in has an ill-advised law that allows you not to wear one. Ubers are more likely to be involved in accidents than other vehicles (I own several)

Having once spent the night in an ER, getting my face stitched up because my errant taxi driver ran a red light, I have a particular opinion on the subject, and it does not vary between the front seat or the rear seat.

Often1 Mar 17, 2019 10:37 am

Why not rate the guy poorly if he thanks you and wishes you a pleasant evening?

It's not required and the driver can't require you to do it. So, politely decline and move on.

davie355 Mar 17, 2019 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30897168)
It's not required and the driver can't require you to do it. So, politely decline and move on.

Many drivers take a “my car, my rules” view, whether justified or not, and I suspect I would be kicked out of the car.

The seatbelt is no big deal to me. It’s the nanny-state philosophy I disapprove of, thus leading to my choice of rating.

bitterproffit Mar 17, 2019 12:12 pm

I will never get in a car without wearing a seatbelt.

I will not ride in the back seat of a small car Uber. You couldn't pay me to sit in the back of a Kia Soul driving on the freeway with my head 3 inches from the rear window with no trunk protecting me from the vehicle behind me seatbelt or not.

I usually sit in the front, its safer, and I get to chat with the driver.

I often use Uber Lux or Lyft Lux and get a nice SUV or big car, then I will sit in the back. But I will never ride in a car without a safety belt.

I cannot believe California has this exception.

I will not let anyone ride in my car without a seat belt.

I can not believe anyone would rate a driver poorly simply for asking them to wear a seat belt. That's just mean.

WillBarrett_68 Mar 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30895122)
[LEFT] if I am in a state such as California where Uber passengers are exempt by law from wearing a seatbelt, then I will rate the driver poorly.

are you serious???

WillBarrett_68 Mar 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30897389)

The seatbelt is no big deal to me. It’s the nanny-state philosophy I disapprove of, thus leading to my choice of rating.[/left]

Do you realize that your uber driver is not an agent of the state?

arttravel Mar 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30897389)

Many drivers take a “my car, my rules” view, whether justified or not, and I suspect I would be kicked out of the car.

The seatbelt is no big deal to me. It’s the nanny-state philosophy I disapprove of, thus leading to my choice of rating.

Perhaps the driver could be litigation averse?

Bob Simon who was a war correspondent died from head trauma when the driver of his car service hit another car.

It turned into into a messy lawsuit .. with various experts (some for hire) saying he may not have died if he was wearing a seat belt in the back of the car.

trooper Mar 18, 2019 12:20 am

Im amazed there are still people who don't automatically put on a seat belt in a car, any car. There are many things of the "nanny State" type that may well be worth objecting to...but seat belts (and motorbike helmets?) and "No Smoking" in gas stations.....No...

s0ssos Mar 18, 2019 12:22 am

Yes, where did you get that in California you are exempt?

Brighton Line Mar 19, 2019 7:07 am

In NY State as of November 2017 the driver and each front seat passenger aged 16 or older must wear a seat belt in taxi and livery vehicles. There is no requirement for backseat use. NYC T&LC which governs ride share defers to the State law in this matter.

tmiw Mar 20, 2019 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 30899420)
Yes, where did you get that in California you are exempt?

FWIW: https://www.longbeachinjuryfirm.com/...seat-belt-law/

Regardless, I think it's silly not to wear one regardless of where you're sitting.