Beware of Lyft Changing Fare After Requesting Ride

Old Jan 23, 19, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Beware of Lyft Changing Fare After Requesting Ride

I've noticed this with Lyft recently, and I've been "scammed" by this a few times before I noticed what was going on.

I would open the Uber app, see how much the fare is, then I'd open Lyft and check there as well. Lyft usually is less, so I'd request a Lyft ride.

After hitting the Request A Ride button, a small banner across the bottom appears for a fraction of a second saying "Your fare is now <higher price>" before disappearing. The app then doesn't display the (new) fare I am paying until after I am matched with a driver.

I have contacted Lyft about this, and the response I received basically said that up-front fares are dynamic, and aren't final until I am matched with a driver.

Lyft gets a big from me. I've always liked Lyft better than Uber due to their customer support, but it looks like Lyft has slid into the same scammy tactics that Uber was known for.
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Actually this is a small part of a BIG scam. I do something similar but with a shared ride

Check actual price quote - book and get screen with that price (often price shown is a discount eg 20 with a line through and new price of 18.xx which I choose to use lyft b/c uber is higher). The price confirmed is the discounted price I saw - so no nonsense about price not being finalized.

Billed at a higher rate (usually a few dollars more) - when I complain am told the "upfront" pricing is correct and that is what I was charged BUT after 2 or 3 emails complaining that they are not correct I just got one admitting that THERE IS A BUG DOING THIS. I had thought to take a screen shot when I booked b/c I had a vague memory of having a problem before but was too tired/lazy.
Now I remember I had the same problem in Nov and eventually they corrected it after multiple emails - now I get an email from the same person that corrected it in Nov (and a different one from the previous "we are right" emails) saying there is a known bug!!! Since I don't take it often (from ap to home every month or two) and I had assumed they fixed the problem after I complained before) I hadn't really kept in memory that this might be an ongoing issue.
So they have been overcharging people (don't know how many) for months at least, KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM but still answer complaint emails that there is NO PROBLEM unless you pursue this for 3 or 4 emails!

Any reporters or lawyers who would like to pick this story up? (sort of tongue in cheek but I'm going to check who regulates them in California - does anyone know?)
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:20 am

Add me to the list!

Got a shared ride, where Lyft claims "what you see is what you pay" and "You'll see a guaranteed price for the Shared ride". Since this is not the first time this happens, I took a screen shot of the ride I booked.

After the fact, my CC was billed over 30% more. Every time I email to complain, I get a lecture on how Lyft adjust pricing, using prime time to draw more drivers....No response to the price "guarantee" they offer with shared rides. No mention of the bug yet, but clearly a a shady way to do business.

Had the same thing happen once with Uber - with one email I got an apology and a price adjustment.

Last edited by brengaz; Apr 17, 19 at 1:36 am
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Originally Posted by brengaz View Post
Add me to the list!

Got a shared ride, where Lyft claims "what you see is what you pay" and "You'll see a guaranteed price for the Shared ride". Since this is not the first time this happens, I took a screen shot of the ride I booked.

After the fact, my CC was billed over 30% more. Every time I email to complain, I get a lecture on how Lyft adjust pricing, using prime time to draw more drivers....No response to the price "guarantee" they offer with shared rides. No mention of the bug yet, but clearly a a shady way to do business.

Had the same thing happen once with Uber - with one email I got an apology and a price adjustment.
Have you tried a dispute with your cc company if you have screen shots of both? I, unfortunately, had not taken a screen shot of the first one so didn't have "proof" - lesson learned. From their emails to me - after the nonsense email you go (same) with persistence they admitted the "bug" but I, as 1 person don't have any power. If it's still happening and more people submit proof and complaints maybe the regulatory people will take some action.
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
You could try to dispute it, but unless that 30% more was over $10, most CC companies will simply give you a courtesy credit instead of going to the trouble of disputing it. So, in that sense, not only is Lyft defrauding you, they're also defrauding the credit card companies knowing that they won't process disputes over small amounts.

Lyft just had their IPO, and the stock value has tanked since then. I really hope they go under. (I was hoping that Uber would take them out before Uber went under, but that's a different story) Their customer service may be US based, but they are completely useless.

Originally Posted by brengaz View Post
Add me to the list!

Lambast them on Twitter. They seem to be more responsive there because it's out in the public and they can't delete it
ijgordon likes this.

Search this Thread