Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

Uber Launching Rewards Program [Program ends Aug. 2022].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Launching Rewards Program [Program ends Aug. 2022].

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
They have now become unavailable as part of their response to the new California legislation (we'll also see an estimated price range for the ride instead of a fixed amount for non-Pool rides).
Just got the e-mail about it. This is a real bummer.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
They have now become unavailable as part of their response to the new California legislation (we'll also see an estimated price range for the ride instead of a fixed amount for non-Pool rides).
Is this Uber's retaliation in response to AB5? Or something in AB5 that prohibits them from offering Price Protection and Flexible Cancellations? If it's the former, shame on Uber.

I've always wondered if drivers were negatively impacted when Price Protection was in effect. I always thought Uber paid the fare difference to the driver so the drivers in theory would have get the full fare regardless. But the more, I think about it, this probably isn't the case. If so, shame on Uber again.

As for me, I know I've benefited quite a bit from the Price Protection arriving into SFO in the late evenings/early mornings when surge pricing is in effect. If this is gone, I see no benefit in Platinum any more.

Their email mentions: "We’re actively working on new benefits for California riders, so stay tuned for future announcements." So hopefully something good comes out of this? If not, I'll use Lyft more often. Their 5 business trips -> $5 credit is better than Uber's 500 points -> $5 credit.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by az22

As for me, I know I've benefited quite a bit from the Price Protection arriving into SFO in the late evenings/early mornings when surge pricing is in effect. If this is gone, I see no benefit in Platinum any more.

This was definitely the biggest benefit for me with their rewards program. I will be sad to see it go. I used it on my route to/from SFO as well.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by az22
Is this Uber's retaliation in response to AB5? Or something in AB5 that prohibits them from offering Price Protection and Flexible Cancellations? If it's the former, shame on Uber.
AB5 does not prohibit price protection. You could obviously hire the drivers as employees, pay them a fixed hourly salary, and then offer price protection or whatever you want.

This is Uber's way to continue to treat drivers as independent contractors. Basically, they claim that it will give them more control and transparency over the individual rides so they won't have to hire them as employees.

With the upfront prices, what the driver earned for a ride did not directly relate to its cost to the rider. They would still get money based on distance and time, while Uber made an a priori estimate hoping to pocket the difference. Now what the passenger pays will go directly to the driver, minus a percentage fee taken by Uber.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:41 pm

Any idea on what the new benefits for Uber Rewards in California might be?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
It appears that the Uber Reward option for 25% off of an UberX ride has been changed to 15% off. I almost missed this change.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ikwia
It appears that the Uber Reward option for 25% off of an UberX ride has been changed to 15% off. I almost missed this change.
I saw that too, but thought it was because I didn't use Uber enough lately?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently made it to the Platinum level for the first time and I am noticing an odd behavior in the app. I am no longer asked to rate drivers. Well there is a notification that pops up on my phone to rate, but when I click it it brings me to the app home page. It used to show me the option of rating and tipping the driver. But that isn't there anymore. Is that normal for Platinum riders?
Old Aug 30, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The missing rating screen started happening to me recently as well. I've been Platinum for a while. I think you achieving Platinum may have been a coincedence. If you go into "Your Trips" you should be able to rate them there.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've not see this reward before.

Up to 4 months free of Apple Music.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
In Miami Beach they stopped offering surge protector or upgraded ride. Their pricing is now sky high, so why bother, when I can rent a Jeep Grand Cherokee, monthly from local Sixt, for way less!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
No more $5.00 comps either: BOO!
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
In Miami Beach they stopped offering surge protector or upgraded ride. Their pricing is now sky high, so why bother, when I can rent a Jeep Grand Cherokee, monthly from local Sixt, for way less!
How much is parking, gas, and tolls?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
How much is parking, gas, and tolls?
I park in my building, Equinox, and Publix.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber Rewards is no more. They are ending it in the middle of the status cycle which means we won't get what we paid for when earning status. Platinum in my case. Surely someone is going to take some sort of legal action against this move?

Not to mention there is no value in being loyal to Uber anymore. Won't they lose a ton of business? I'm thinking of just going back to taxis. At least in NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.