Uber Fraud - Driver induced?

Old Dec 3, 18, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
If the driver cancels a trip before he gets to the pickup point, at any time, there is no cancellation fee. Drivers do not cancel as a rule, since too many cancellations will result in deactivation of the driver's account.
As a driver, how would you know what the rider gets charged? You only see it from one side. I have seen it from the other side. Several times I have had drivers canceled on me, and I was charged a $5 fee. Once, my friend was standing beside me, outside, waiting for an uber. The driver canceled. Within 30 seconds he got a notification on his watch that his card had been charged $5. I understand that there is not SUPPOSED to be a fee in any of these cases. But up until a couple of years ago, they were commonplace. I have no idea what the current state of affairs is because I closed my uber account and exclusively use Lyft now. They have not yet attempted to defraud me, so I'm much happier with them.

The fact that you have been an uber driver for 7 months does not somehow mean that you fully understand the internal workings of Uber's systems, and it especially doesn't mean that you know how they worked a couple of years ago.
Old Dec 3, 18, 10:45 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I understand that there is not SUPPOSED to be a fee in any of these cases. But up until a couple of years ago, they were commonplace.
While I don't doubt that this was your experience, I've never seen it happen, as an Uber customer since 2012 with well over 2000 trips, so I'd hesitate to call it "commonplace."
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
While I don't doubt that this was your experience, I've never seen it happen, as an Uber customer since 2012 with well over 2000 trips, so I'd hesitate to call it "commonplace."
I'm an occasional user (maybe 2 to 4 times a month) and I've had a rare driver cancellation show as a $5 charge to me that I've had to dispute. So, not commonplace in my experience, but it does occur.
Old Dec 6, 18, 12:52 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
Well, I have been driving UBER X full time for the last 7 months. Done over 3,000 trips with a 4.98 rating. And you ?

If the driver cancels a trip before he gets to the pickup point, at any time, there is no cancellation fee. Drivers do not cancel as a rule, since too many cancellations will result in deactivation of the driver's account.
That's not the case (at least here in the UK). I've had it a few times where I've had a ride accepted, and then the driver doesn't move. After 5 minutes the driver cancels, and I get charged.

The other "scam" at the moment is at my local airport. The Uber App says go to the short stay car park to be picked up. The short stay car park is 13 levels, so most people go to level 1 where the other companies pick up from. The Uber drivers all wait on Level 13. So, from the app map, it looks like the driver is where you are, when he's actually 13 levels above you.

After 5 minutes, the ride is cancelled, and the passenger is charged 9.
Old Jan 4, 19, 6:24 pm

I used to work for Uber in the Fraud team and I can definitely say that Uber is not just inventing random Fraud charges.
Fraud is extremely tricky to fight both against drivers and against riders it will stay a cat and mouse game.
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:39 pm

I agree that Uber seems to have a global strategy to create false charges : from Vilnius airport there is a parking charge of 3,50 Euros, which is explainable if vehicle was parked at this airport. But if it arrives from outside, how can it be explained ? Uber couldn't, they just credited it once to me and wrote me I would be charged this "toll" each time I take a Uber at the airport.

Sometimes it can be driver fraud : a Taxify driver in Paris charged me a "special fare" for people going to Stade de France (outside Paris) instead of the fare corresponding to the ride I had. Taxify refunded me afterwise and gave me compensation credit.

It's time-consuming but of course with regular taxis ordered outside an app, without an invoice or at least plate numbers (depending on city where scam happened) , nothing can be done later.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I thought that drivers got paid the full "regular" fare even for a pool.

Uber is a dishonest, customer unfriendly company. Their business model seems to be to charge fake charges (like the one that you are talking about) to the customer, refund the ones who complain for long enough, and pocket the money from the ones who don't. Every company makes the occasional mistake, but this sort of thing just happens too often, an the "mistakes" are always in their favor and never in yours. I have no doubt that it's intentional on their part. I can't imagine how many millions of dollars per year they pocket from charges like this, where people don't notice or can't be bothered to follow up with customer service. How many people are going to take the time to email back and forth 4 times over $15?

About a year ago, after Uber charged me $5 because the driver canceled, I just asked them to close my account and switched 100% to lyft. It's just not worth dealing with them (or any dishonest company). You have $200 / year in credit from amex? Still not worth it. Your time has more value than that.

Just for fun, look at Uber's BBB rating. Then look at Lyft's. Night and day....
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:47 pm

I have the case of the app showing "driver has arrived" when he has still two or three minutes to go to arrive, sometimes more if he does some turn-around. But it never resulted in higher price, quoted price at first was always applied. Maybe driver does it to prevent me from cancelling without penalty ?
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:49 pm

I have a question : what should we do if a driver keeps the "meter" on after arrival ? My guess is writing Uber about it is enough to get a credit, that's why usually if I want to change destination driver asks me to change it in the app.
Old Jan 13, 19, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by vilntrav View Post
I have a question : what should we do if a driver keeps the "meter" on after arrival ? My guess is writing Uber about it is enough to get a credit, that's why usually if I want to change destination driver asks me to change it in the app.
Why don't you call the driver to remind him to end the ride, since, after all, you are still his rider, therefore the driver/rider communication still works.

Here in the US, with Uber upfront pricing, you already know how much you are going to get charged. If a driver keeps the "meter" on, he is getting paid a bit extra from Uber, but it is not coming from your wallet. Drivers get paid by time and distance driven, and this is a way to get some extra money from Uber.

Some drivers have found other ways to cheat Uber, and that is by "long hauling" which is going a longer route to your destination. This may not be good for the driver if he takes too long, as a passenger will complaint. Uber keeps track of all drivers move, and if they notice some circuitous routing, they can deactivate the driver.
steve64 likes this.

Last edited by arollins; Jan 13, 19 at 8:32 pm