Uber Fraud - Driver induced?

Old Dec 3, 18, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
If the driver cancels a trip before he gets to the pickup point, at any time, there is no cancellation fee. Drivers do not cancel as a rule, since too many cancellations will result in deactivation of the driver's account.
As a driver, how would you know what the rider gets charged? You only see it from one side. I have seen it from the other side. Several times I have had drivers canceled on me, and I was charged a $5 fee. Once, my friend was standing beside me, outside, waiting for an uber. The driver canceled. Within 30 seconds he got a notification on his watch that his card had been charged $5. I understand that there is not SUPPOSED to be a fee in any of these cases. But up until a couple of years ago, they were commonplace. I have no idea what the current state of affairs is because I closed my uber account and exclusively use Lyft now. They have not yet attempted to defraud me, so I'm much happier with them.

The fact that you have been an uber driver for 7 months does not somehow mean that you fully understand the internal workings of Uber's systems, and it especially doesn't mean that you know how they worked a couple of years ago.
Old Dec 3, 18, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I understand that there is not SUPPOSED to be a fee in any of these cases. But up until a couple of years ago, they were commonplace.
While I don't doubt that this was your experience, I've never seen it happen, as an Uber customer since 2012 with well over 2000 trips, so I'd hesitate to call it "commonplace."
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
While I don't doubt that this was your experience, I've never seen it happen, as an Uber customer since 2012 with well over 2000 trips, so I'd hesitate to call it "commonplace."
I'm an occasional user (maybe 2 to 4 times a month) and I've had a rare driver cancellation show as a $5 charge to me that I've had to dispute. So, not commonplace in my experience, but it does occur.
Old Dec 6, 18, 12:52 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
Well, I have been driving UBER X full time for the last 7 months. Done over 3,000 trips with a 4.98 rating. And you ?

If the driver cancels a trip before he gets to the pickup point, at any time, there is no cancellation fee. Drivers do not cancel as a rule, since too many cancellations will result in deactivation of the driver's account.
That's not the case (at least here in the UK). I've had it a few times where I've had a ride accepted, and then the driver doesn't move. After 5 minutes the driver cancels, and I get charged.

The other "scam" at the moment is at my local airport. The Uber App says go to the short stay car park to be picked up. The short stay car park is 13 levels, so most people go to level 1 where the other companies pick up from. The Uber drivers all wait on Level 13. So, from the app map, it looks like the driver is where you are, when he's actually 13 levels above you.

After 5 minutes, the ride is cancelled, and the passenger is charged 9.