Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

Uber: Charges Show Pending on AMEx but Uber Says There is A Problem w/payment

Old Nov 5, 18, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO

I added my daughter to my Uber app so she could get around while away at college. We've been having problems. Sometimes it works as it should. But a couple of times, she will request a ride, and get a notice that there is a problem with the payment. However, I get notified by AMEX that a transaction has taken place and it shows at pending. No matter what she does, she can't get a ride. Not cool! Especially if, as it happened yesterday, she got a ride away from the dorm with no problem, but then got stranded. Thankfully, she was able to make alternative arrangements.

On top of that, yesterday, the ride that did go through, first showed a pending charge of $25 for a $9 ride. On the good side, she had a $5 credit that applied to that ride. But, there is still a pending charge for $25...along with two pending charges for the ride she attempted to book a few hours later for her return to campus. I assume, that, as in the past, the pending charges will drop off eventually. But, still. This is a bit irritating.

Have any of you had similar issues?
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Is the AMEX billing zip code entered correctly in the app?

Why can't your daughter use her own Uber account with her own credit card? (If she's an authorized user on your AMEX she will have her own card number.)

If all else fails I'd buy Uber gift cards in advance of rides.
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:51 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Uber still puts a pre-auth hold on the primary credit card when using Uber gift cards.
Old Nov 19, 18, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Is the AMEX billing zip code entered correctly in the app?

Why can't your daughter use her own Uber account with her own credit card? (If she's an authorized user on your AMEX she will have her own card number.)

Billing zip is correct. And, we have no problem about half the time. And, according to AMEX, they approved the charges. It's something on Uber's side that is creating the problem.

She is using her own Uber account, it is just linked to my account and accesses my card. We could get her a card and let her roll with it that way. However, that still begs the question of why a system created by Uber is not working correctly.

BTW, the numerous pending charges all dropped off.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Search this Thread