FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Uber / Lyft No Cell Phone (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1934837-uber-lyft-no-cell-phone.html)

mauld Oct 10, 2018 6:30 am

Uber / Lyft No Cell Phone

My flight to Newark from Madrid was cancelled and UA rebooked me on DL to JFK tonite. I live in Central NJ and have both Uber & Lyft accounts, will I still be able to book online without a cell phone? I didn't bring it, as it won't work in Europe. Or should I just hail a cab outside Term 4? Checking fares it seems to be around $150 - 200 at 8pm, does that seem about right?

sbm12 Oct 10, 2018 6:48 am

No, you will not be able to use those accounts without the device.

Good luck.

mauld Oct 10, 2018 7:15 am

OK, so how do I cancel the booking I just made. No where on site to cancel, or will it automatically cancel if they can't get in touch?

mike_la_jolla Oct 10, 2018 10:16 am

Little confused here -- I assume your cell phone plan has no service in Europe? If so, you should have brought your phone and used the wireless inside the airport to hail Uber/Lyft. If you scheduled a ride in advance, that ride is still valid, but it might be a tad difficult to figure out which driver is yours without the cell phone.

obscure2k Oct 10, 2018 10:23 am

Please continue to follow this discussion In the Ride Sharing Forum (which include discussions about Lyft and Uber)
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

mauld Oct 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Didn't bring my cell with me as I know it won't work.

mauld Oct 11, 2018 8:10 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 30300014)
Please continue to follow this discussion In the Ride Sharing Forum (which include discussions about Lyft and Uber)
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Where can I find that Forum?

jerry a. laska Oct 11, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by mauld (Post 30303493)

Where can I find that Forum?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/car-...-services-392/

How did you just make a booking if you didn't have the phone?

Auto Enthusiast Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Why not do a one-way car rental instead?

mauld Oct 12, 2018 6:30 pm

On line with Lyft app... by the way I ended up doing the JFKAirTrain/ LIRR/ NJ Transit... took 90 min and $19.35. I was charged $ 12.90 by Lyft, saw the msg on my cell when I got home

jerry a. laska Oct 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by mauld (Post 30309420)
On line with Lyft app... by the way I ended up doing the JFKAirTrain/ LIRR/ NJ Transit... took 90 min and $19.35. I was charged $ 12.90 by Lyft, saw the msg on my cell when I got home

Then you did have your phone with you to access the app?

mauld Oct 14, 2018 3:39 pm

I was able to access the app on my IPad ( no cell access). At home I did see the msg which described the car and driver, but didn't need it by then. No problem being charged the $ 12, as opposed to $ 127. I would have loved to really cancel, but couldn't find any way to do so on line.

Often1 Oct 14, 2018 4:01 pm

The only difference between your phone and your iPad is that your iPad lacked cellular access so you could only use it while on WiFi. You could have cancelled anywhere with WiFi access from your iPad.

For future reference, two thoughts:

1. Booking either Uber or Lyft in advance from any major pickup point such as an airport, is relatively useless. Neither company assigns a driver until just before the call is due and if one is not available, a car still won't arrive. But, at either EWR or JFK, you should expect no more than a 2-3 minute wait for a car at pretty much any time.

2. Unless your cellular plan is with some weird company, you almost certainly have WiFi calling on your plan and, even if you don't, I would not travel without Skype or one of the VOIP services loaded. Depending on your specific choice of service, calls back to the US are anywhere from free to a penny or two a minute. They run on WiFi rather than cellular, so you do need to be somewhere with WiFi, but that isn't hard most places. Can be a real money saver in an emergency.

pinniped Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am

I always carry my mobile with me, even if I'm flying somewhere where I know it won't work with the local cell towers. It's still my main communication device, even if just via hotel/office Wifi, Skype, and WhatsApp.

And I'm glad you found the trains...I was going to guess that it would be 4 trains (sounds like it's 3), but it got the job done and probably not all that much slower than an Uber or Taxi.

ATLMike1234 Oct 21, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm still not sure why this question was asked - if they figured out how to book the ride from an iPad, couldn't they have done the same to cancel?