Car service from/to LAX??

Old Oct 4, 18, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Car service from/to LAX??

I'm looking for some input on good car service picking someone up at LAX and returning someone to LAX later that week. Pickup will be very late at night (almost 2am) and I would like them to be picked up at baggage claim. Drop off will be somewhat early but not crazy, like 8:30am on a Saturday (so probably pickup from the hotel around 7:30am, staying near Universal Studios).

I kinda want to avoid uber/lyft service since I don't fully trust them being as reliable as the legacy guys and my friend is a female and I think she would feel a little better knowing a proper car service was picking her up, not some Uber dude at 2am at LAX. (If she booked a car service, that's a different story, she might be fine with Uber, but since this is saving me at 1+ hour drive from the hotel late at night to pick her up, the least I can do is get her someone professional)

I'll also worry less with a professional service if her flight is delayed or anything changes and I can get a hold of them and adjust pickup/drop off or confirm that they're making the pickup/drop off. The less stress I have worrying is someone is going to show, the better.

Anyway, I've heard of GroundLink and Black Car LA (I think that's the service the Universal Hilton recommended), just wondering if anyone here has feed back.

Pickup will be LAX to Disneyland Hotel (I figure about $70 to $100 or so) and drop off will be Universal Hilton to LAX... don't need a limo, but just a nice black car, etc.
Old Oct 4, 18, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be frank, the Uber Black or Black SUV services are largely the same vehicles and drivers as one gets booking through a "high end:" service which isn't really high end. Even at 2:00 AM, should not be more than a 2-3 minute wait for a vehicle.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 18, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
To be frank, the Uber Black or Black SUV services are largely the same vehicles and drivers as one gets booking through a "high end:" service which isn't really high end. Even at 2:00 AM, should not be more than a 2-3 minute wait for a vehicle.
I know the hard product might be close to the same, but I feel more like a "professional" car service will be there waiting, or will have the option of going into the baggage claim and meeting her compared to her standing there having to request the Uber or wondering if the Uber will show up or not. I'll already be at the Disney Hotel... if I was meeting the car with her I might feel a little different. I also feel like they might handle changed flight arrival times better than Uber... AND I would have a number that I could call to verify the car service was still on schedule and/or picked her up. Uber I would either have linked to my phone (in which case she wouldn't have any options/tracking information on her end) or her phone, in which case I would be in the blind and would have to text her to figure out if she got picked up, etc. With a number I can call if she's delayed 10 minutes or something I could call the number, make sure the car service was still set (they probably would say he was already there waiting for her and not to worry), and then be set.

Plus last I checked Uber wasn't really any cheaper...

Edit: An Uber Black is ~$162... I think GroundLink was ~$149 + $10 for inside pickup... soooo
Old Oct 5, 18, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acarney View Post
I know the hard product might be close to the same, but I feel more like a "professional" car service will be there waiting, or will have the option of going into the baggage claim and meeting her compared to her standing there having to request the Uber or wondering if the Uber will show up or not. I'll already be at the Disney Hotel... if I was meeting the car with her I might feel a little different. I also feel like they might handle changed flight arrival times better than Uber... AND I would have a number that I could call to verify the car service was still on schedule and/or picked her up. Uber I would either have linked to my phone (in which case she wouldn't have any options/tracking information on her end) or her phone, in which case I would be in the blind and would have to text her to figure out if she got picked up, etc. With a number I can call if she's delayed 10 minutes or something I could call the number, make sure the car service was still set (they probably would say he was already there waiting for her and not to worry), and then be set.

Plus last I checked Uber wasn't really any cheaper...

Edit: An Uber Black is ~$162... I think GroundLink was ~$149 + $10 for inside pickup... soooo
Sounds like you don't want to use Uber, choose Graoundlink. It may be the same vehicle, but no matter.
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
If you really want reliability, you could use one of the major corporate services like Carey (carey.com). Looks like about $160, and I think that includes inside pickup at baggage claim.
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
If you really want reliability, you could use one of the major corporate services like Carey (carey.com). Looks like about $160, and I think that includes inside pickup at baggage claim.
This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. I don't need to "wow" her with the nicest car out there, just a standard black "town car" but with a rock solid company that I'll be able to get ahold of that late at night if something changes and a company that I can handle all the payment with so she isn't expected to tip/pay fees etc.

Again, it's saving me from having to cross town late at night after a day at Disney... feeling a little guilty I won't be picking her up at the airport (but I'll be down in the lobby when she arrives) so want someone super professional and reliable so I'm not worried they're at the wrong terminal and have no way to contact her because I was the one booking, etc.
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Shoot, it doesn't look like I can make a booking for someone else though, it forces me as the passenger... and careyconnect.com requires that I'm a travel agent and have a travel agent number... hmmmm
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:43 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
I've pre-booked rides from LAX to Orange County with Execucar via the SuperShuttle app and have been very satisfied with the vehicle and driver on all occasions.
Old Oct 5, 18, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
Shoot, it doesn't look like I can make a booking for someone else though, it forces me as the passenger... and careyconnect.com requires that I'm a travel agent and have a travel agent number... hmmmm
Call them, 800-336-4646, I'm sure they can handle a third party booking.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 8, 18, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Boston Coach is a national competitor of Carey and possibly another option for you.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:17 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I used BlackLane a few months ago when I couldn't get to LAX to pick up a colleague who needed to be greeted inside the terminal. It was handled smoothly.
Old Dec 3, 18, 3:57 am

Try WINGZ
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Any suggestions for a mid-priced ride from Santa Clarita/Valencia area to LAX early morning (ie. 4-5AM)? SCV is a bit out in the sticks for some of the services mentioned.

Lots of the Uber drivers here at that time in the morning are dropping someone off who got a ride home from the city from a late night event (ie. bars, clubs, etc) and these drivers often don't know the traffic patterns or shortcuts to get back to LAX in a timely manner. Later in the morning/afternoon, you get the regular local Uber driver crowd who specialize in LAX transfer and those guys can be really good.

Two weeks ago I got somebody who got lost locally and was 45 mins late, then nearly got lost to LAX, started dozing off in the LAX terminal traffic, and got me to my terminal 11 minutes before boarding closed. I literally ran through the terminal and gate checked my bag, last one on a flight to Canada and they closed the AC door behind me. I had planned my ride to start 3 hours before departure -- that got messed up due to the driver and traffic.

I've looked at most of the services on this thread as well as others. Most here are in the $220 range; other local black car services are $160; there's not much of a taxi service in the area. The only thing I've found in the middle is Execucar (Super Shuttle) @ $89, but they have very poor reviews with cancellations being a common thread. For comparison, Uber at that time in the morning is around $55 and I tend to give a $10 tip.

The early morning roulette with Uber is disconcerting. Returning home from the airport with Uber has been fine.

Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 18, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
A while back I took a car service from San Diego to LAX for a flight to Australia. Seemed to work out okay, though it costed my work a fair bit of money. These days, I just add the SAN-LAX segment to the flight if need be to avoid the hassle (especially since it's usually not much more on the fare), but that's not really an option for most. FWIW I believe I made the reservation through SuperShuttle but I don't remember if Execucar was handling those at the time.

Speaking of SuperShuttle/Execucar, though, my parents fly internationally a few times a year and take them from Riverside to LAX. They don't really like them all that much since they did mess up at least once and left them stranded at LAX without a ride back. The blue vans are much different than Execucar, however.

Search this Thread