Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Select - outrageous rip off

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Angry Uber Select - outrageous rip off

Paid $70 for Uber Select instead of $35 for UberX this morning. Car was an old Mercedes CLA which retailed for $30k when it was new. Driver did not speak basic English.

I am outraged. I do not even blame the driver. This is all on Uber which knew the car, the driver (poorly rated, guess I found out why), yet proceeded to charged me a 100% premium over the standard service.

UPDATE 1 day later: after I wrote in, Uber offered a $20 credit.

Last edited by davie355; Sep 26, 2018 at 9:32 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Why did you choose select over X? (Just curious, in no way excusing anything)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Did they not deliver what they promised with Uber Select?

The picture even shows you the type of car. Why do they have to speak English? Why are you outraged?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The OP's experiences are reminding me of "Everything Happens To Aaron."
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP chose Select and knew the rate and the vehicle. Drivers do not need to be English-speaking.

Not sure what the outrage is about other than spending $75 for something he could have had for $35 had OP simply pressed another button.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:58 pm

I never understand why people choose Select when basically the same service is available for cheaper as X
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I never understand why people choose Select when basically the same service is available for cheaper as X
This is exactly the substance of my outrage. I paid for Select but got X service.

Select is marketed as premium. I rarely splurge, but in the past when I’ve done so, I got late model Mercedes S-Class or their BMW or Audi equivalents. In addition the driver has been capable of higher society types of conversation.

So my outrage is that Uber has diluted the meaning of “premium.”
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
???
"Select" vs "X" refers to the car type. I don' think I've ever seen any marketing that suggests it also refers to the "service" or type of driver.
I think Uber's "premium" service is called "Black" (tho the marketing names do vary by market).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Why do they have to speak English? Why are you outraged?
Even in NYC the Taxi and Limousine Commission no longer requires you to speak English to get a TLC license that you need for rideshare as well as Taxi's/Limos since 2016.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by davie355
Select is marketed as premium. I rarely splurge, but in the past when I’ve done so, I got late model Mercedes S-Class or their BMW or Audi equivalents. In addition the driver has been capable of higher society types of conversation.
Then you've gotten very lucky. Those vehicles are usually in the Uber Black category, and they're unusual for Black in my experience (more typically higher-end SUVs or Lincoln MKZ).

Also, what on earth are "higher society types of conversation"? Were you distressed that your Uber driver didn't have an opinion on the most interesting pieces in Sotheby's upcoming auction of Regency silver?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Premium vehicles are hit or miss. Use a car service if you really require more of a definite car type service.

At least you didn’t get a Premium Yugo...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber never had a good definition of "Premium," or at least it was diluted years ago. In fact, over 4 years ago, I ordered a Black for a special occasion, and 4 of us could barely squeeze in an older small-ish MBZ. But my sometimes-humble self just reverted to the usual X, and now mostly Pool, and sometimes even Express Pool. You'd sometimes be amazed at the level of stimulating advanced chats I've had with some of the lowly Express Pool drivers. It is almost as if I'm being picked up in the hills in a town car instead of in the flats in a Prius.

But you know, Everything Happens To Aaron. Good thing that's not my name.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I drive on a freeway everyday by the airport into the city. Traffic is crazy and people are all on cell phones and distracted. I pass uber cars where there are two people crammed in the back of a Nissan Versa or Kia Rio while the driver is trying to get Waze to tell him which way to go. Sudden lane changes, semis squealing brakes, etc.

Most standard Uber/Lyfts around here are tiny cars. I wouldn't have much of a problem in city traffic, but I am willing to pay more to ride in a nicer and usually more substantial car on the interstate.

As much as someone tries to convince you that small cars are safer, the rules of physics still apply. If the back of your head is 3 inches from the rear window of a tiny hatch back, a rear end accident will not end well.

Your mileage may vary, but that is why I choose Select. I am not looking for the cheapest at the expense of my health.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I drive on a freeway everyday by the airport into the city. Traffic is crazy and people are all on cell phones and distracted. I pass uber cars where there are two people crammed in the back of a Nissan Versa or Kia Rio while the driver is trying to get Waze to tell him which way to go. Sudden lane changes, semis squealing brakes, etc.
That would be about 10 MPH around here, on average, if you're talking about commute times.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
If you want "premium", you're better off booking thru some company other than Uber. Groundlink always has discounts, not my favorite but is consistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.