Driver asked me to pay for parking?!?!

Old Sep 22, 18, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Driver asked me to pay for parking?!?!

I called an Uber from a hotel and confirmed both my address + pin location matched the front entrance.

Yet the driver arrived at the back of the hotel. He called me, asking, "Are you at the front or in the parking lot? My GPS took me to the parking lot."

I said I was at the front, and he pulled up a couple of minutes later. He showed me a receipt for parking which he incurred by going through the automated gates of the parking lot. I declined to pay it.

Both of us were polite but I think we both carried a sense of incredulity. I'd like to get some validation from this forum that I did nothing wrong.
Old Sep 23, 18, 11:57 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
On the one hand, I've never heard of a hotel collecting a parking fee from someone who is picking up/dropping off.

On the other hand, if he did actually legitimately pay that fee then it should be passed on to the passenger just like tolls etc.
Old Sep 23, 18, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Hotel should not be collecting fees from Uber/Lyft or taxi drivers.

I would not have paid either.
Old Sep 23, 18, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I would not have paid either.

Some hotels that do have gated outdoor parking but still have main front entrance that is ungated. So this uber driver probably did not take the effort to find his way around the hotel and just blindly followed the gps. Second, most gates are smart enough to not charge for the first 5-10min for this exact situation where someone mistakenly goes into the lot without intention to park. At the most, I would have suggested he take the receipt to the hotel front desk and ask for refund.

Search this Thread