Accuracy of addresses on Uber and Lyft receipts

Old Aug 3, 18, 12:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NUQ
Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 3,833
Accuracy of addresses on Uber and Lyft receipts

If a client, employer, etc. agrees to reimburse rides to/from your home, how closely do they pay attention to your home address on an Uber or Lyft receipt?

This is a general question. I ask because I live in a building that does not have a loading zone -- only metered street parking by the front door. So if all those spots are occupied, I'll walk around the corner onto a different street where there is an empty spot on the curb, then request a ride from there. But would this raise any audit flags when I submit receipts for reimbursement?
davie355 is online now  
Old Aug 3, 18, 7:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: JFK LGA PBI BOI
Posts: 534
Don't know but what if you request your ride from your home and then change the pickup point to around the corner?
What will it show?
I get reimbursed for medical transportation (drug trial) only from my home to the hospital and vice versa Lyft app always suggests changes in the pickup at the hospital (one way street) and never had an issue with them reviewing the receipt but that is a big drug company so how much attention do they pay? I'll look the next time at the receipt.
Brighton Line is offline  
Old Aug 3, 18, 7:27 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 151
I just took a look at my receipt from this morning and it will show actual pickup it seems. I requested a pickup from my home but the receipt shows being picked up from the building next door as I was at the curb and that's where GPS said I was.

But is your company that strict where they look at the pickup and drop off? I've never experienced that at multiple companies when submitting expense reports. Would they care if the amount is effectively identical? I don't think the people who audit expense reports even know your home address - sure the company does but don't know if auditors have that level of detail. After your expense report gets approved by your manager (who probably doesn't know your actual address) and then flows onward, I doubt anyone down the line would ever check HR records for your home address and compare to Uber receipt. The volume would be too great to do this for all unless you work for a very small company in which case anything goes.
jeff191 is online now  
Old Aug 3, 18, 10:45 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,084
From my company perspective, it wouldn't even cross a level of concern if my pick-up was not my address or drop off not exactly where I said it would be. If your company is that strict/concerned, I'd look for a new company to work for.
JLewisinSyr is offline  
Old Aug 3, 18, 3:42 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NUQ
Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 3,833
Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr View Post
From my company perspective, it wouldn't even cross a level of concern if my pick-up was not my address or drop off not exactly where I said it would be. If your company is that strict/concerned, I'd look for a new company to work for.
I've never run into an issue, but then I guess the question is, with inconsistent addresses on the receipts, what exactly are auditors... auditing?

Sure they don't know my home address, but I could submit 2 receipts (as home -> SFO and SFO -> home) and the "home" addresses may be on different streets.
davie355 is online now  
Old Aug 3, 18, 4:32 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,589
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I've never run into an issue, but then I guess the question is, with inconsistent addresses on the receipts, what exactly are auditors... auditing?

Sure they don't know my home address, but I could submit 2 receipts (as home -> SFO and SFO -> home) and the "home" addresses may be on different streets.
There's something known as a healthy dose of paranoia. There's also an unhealthy obsessive dose of paranoia.

If it is something that can be simply explained, without hesitation, and without sounding "presidential," (in the most modern sense of the term) I wouldn't worry about these things. It isn't like you were supposed to fly to NYC and your ticket receipt is to BOS. It is that your UBER receipt shows that you were at XXX 3rd. St., San Francisco, instead of XXX Folsom St., San Francisco (around the corner).
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Aug 3, 18, 5:34 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA
Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Posts: 600
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
There's something known as a healthy dose of paranoia. There's also an unhealthy obsessive dose of paranoia.

If it is something that can be simply explained, without hesitation, and without sounding "presidential," (in the most modern sense of the term) I wouldn't worry about these things. It isn't like you were supposed to fly to NYC and your ticket receipt is to BOS. It is that your UBER receipt shows that you were at XXX 3rd. St., San Francisco, instead of XXX Folsom St., San Francisco (around the corner).
Agreed in full. If an employer cares about a pickup at 10 Main St vs. 11 Main St, I think it's time to find a new employer.

To the OP: The Uber/Lyft GPS is not 100% accurate. I get picked up from the same spot at work every day of the week. I stand at the main entrance and literally am within 10 feet of the same exact position each time I am picked up. The address on the receipt has shown multiple different pickup locations, including ones around the corner on a different street.
Miami305 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 18, 3:45 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: JFK LGA PBI BOI
Posts: 534
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
There's something known as a healthy dose of paranoia. There's also an unhealthy obsessive dose of paranoia).
Not for government agency I work for. Receipt shows a drink even soda and listed as from the bar, entire claim is denied.
Brighton Line is offline  
Old Aug 4, 18, 7:29 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA
Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Posts: 600
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
Not for government agency I work for. Receipt shows a drink even soda and listed as from the bar, entire claim is denied.
That's a very different issue. Many businesses will not reimburse for purchases from a bar, and the bar is held even higher for government agencies.
I find it incredibly hard to believe that your employer would deny a claim if your drop off destination was 1602 Pennsylvania Ave, instead of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Miami305 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread