FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Schedule a ride with Uber XL [and now Uber X] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1918328-schedule-ride-uber-xl-now-uber-x.html)

cajunguy Jul 5, 2018 10:40 am

Schedule a ride with Uber XL [and now Uber X]

Hi - I see that Uber has the ability to 'schedule' a ride in advance. I need to get a group of 5 from home to the airport early (8am flight) Sunday morning. Lyft doesn't seem to have that for the Los Angeles area, or I haven't found where that is in the app.

What experience has anyone had with doing something like this?

Should I just forget it and hail the Uber XL that morning with padding the time for a larger vehicle to pick us up?

TIA

rt1flea Jul 6, 2018 1:13 pm

You should try Wingz. Select the number of passengers and bags and you will get a confirmed time, vehicle, and driver in advance, rather than Uber which just requests the vehicle for you in order to be there at the time you want. You can cancel up to two hours before pickup for free. Link below.

www.wingz.me

cajunguy Jul 6, 2018 4:31 pm

Great! Thanks!

Update: Wingz did not pan out.

redtop43 Jul 12, 2018 9:22 pm

When you schedule the Uber, it doesn't actually schedule a vehicle. It will just send a request at approximately the right time. You still might not get a car if you're in a low-traffic area at an off hour, or you still might get a driver who will cancel for whatever reason.

Xlr Jul 12, 2018 11:06 pm

If UberXL availability at that time/place is a concern, perhaps consider two regular Ubers (or one Uber and one Lyft, etc) instead?

cajunguy Jul 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by rt1flea (Post 29945413)
You should try Wingz. Select the number of passengers and bags and you will get a confirmed time, vehicle, and driver in advance, rather than Uber which just requests the vehicle for you in order to be there at the time you want. You can cancel up to two hours before pickup for free. Link below.

www.wingz.me

Wingz was a fail. No driver accepted the request.

cajunguy Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm

I did request the UberXL a couple days out, it never notified me that the driver was on it's way, I had to actually check the app. Thankfully it all worked out.

obscure2k Nov 5, 2018 1:03 pm

I booked Uber X in advance twice in the last 2 days. Worked out fine. I was given a window of 10 minutes, e.g. driver will arrive between 7:20 and 7:30. I like this option.

arollins Nov 6, 2018 2:08 pm

Scheduling an advance ride with UBER does not mean that as soon as you select it, it will be automatically assigned to a driver. All it does is that at the time needed, it will start sending out the notification ahead of time in order to meet your required pick up time. THe one big advantage of this, is that you are not hit with any surge pricing that may result in areas that are heavy with riders, or in cases when the weather turns bad and there is a sudden demand. I'm a driver myself, and have seen many request from pre-scheduled drives, mostly commuters that already pre-schedule their pick ups from the train station.

diburning Nov 6, 2018 9:28 pm

If you schedule a ride with Lyft (it should be available in the LA area) Lyft drivers get to see the requests in advance, and claim them to create a schedule for themselves with back to back rides (ie, driver picks up at Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar, ride to San Diego International, drop off, pick up at San Diego International, ride to Los Angeles, etc).

When my flight out of Carlsbad cancelled, I requested a Lyft to get to SAN to catch a flight there instead. The driver who accepted my ride thought it was odd that she was able to get an airport to airport ride at the last minute as she often has scheduled rides back and forth between SAN/CLD/LAX for bizjet pilots.

FlyerStef Nov 7, 2018 1:24 pm

The problem with schedule ahead uber xl for busy areas is the way it doesn't send the request far enough ahead of time to get the car there at the specified time. So for example - yesterday I had a car scheduled to come at 2:30. Uber assigned a car at 2:20. It got to where I was (and 5 people were waiting) at 2:45 due to traffic.

It's convenient for when there isn't time to think ahead and schedule a true car service, but just be sure to schedule the car a little ahead of when you need (and be prepared to pay waiting if needed)

themicah Nov 8, 2018 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 30401073)
THe one big advantage of this, is that you are not hit with any surge pricing that may result in areas that are heavy with riders, or in cases when the weather turns bad and there is a sudden demand. I'm a driver myself, and have seen many request from pre-scheduled drives, mostly commuters that already pre-schedule their pick ups from the train station.

I'm not sure how the pricing works for scheduled rides, but it doesn't seem to be surge free. For example, the usual no-surge UberX fare for a ride to my home from my work is about $19-20. Right now it's rush hour and is surging so it would be about $39. But if I try to schedule a ride for the middle of the night (when it's almost always $19-20) it still wants to charge me $33.

diburning Nov 8, 2018 11:25 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Uber is "splitting the difference" to end up ahead in the event that surge pricing is in effect.

Lyft does the same thing.

richarddd Nov 17, 2018 11:59 am

I just scheduled a ride with Lyft. The setup screen showed a price, The ride time in now in my scheduled ride section, but it does not show a price. Does that mean they will charge whatever they want? If the pricing is not what they showed originally, can I cancel at the last minute?

The app does include "your ride is confirmed by a driver". From this thread, I take it that is no guarantee of anything?

diburning Nov 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd (Post 30439745)
The app does include "your ride is confirmed by a driver". From this thread, I take it that is no guarantee of anything?

See below

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 30402494)
If you schedule a ride with Lyft, drivers get to see the requests in advance, and claim them to create a schedule for themselves with back to back rides (ie, driver picks up at Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar, ride to San Diego International, drop off, pick up at San Diego International, ride to Los Angeles, etc