Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

Are you concerned your UBER driver knows you are not home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you concerned your UBER driver knows you are not home?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I never use my driver's license as ID when traveling because I don't want random TSA employees, etc. to see my home address when it's obvious I'm leaving town.
I never considered that either. Do you really think TSA employees after seeing thousands and thousands daily would write down a few addresses thereby assuming these particular travelers lived alone and whose homes would be ripe for burglary?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
You don't need to have your home as your pickup. Place the pin on the corner then watch your driver's location the app. Make sure you're standing at the corner before the driver arrives.
As a small time driver, I hate pick-ups from a "pin drop" as my instructions will say something like go to 2410-2470 Maple Ave. That's why I say make sure you're at the drop before the driver and please be looking for your car.
I know this doesn't get work well in poor weather, but you get the idea. A neighbor may not have time to drive you to the airport, but how about the local grocery store etc.

I do think you're being a little too worried, but I have seen riders doing things like this, so you are not alone.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I'm single and live alone. I don't really tell anyone (except out of necessity) when I am traveling. I usually use airport parking, but have considered LYFT or UBER. I just don't like the idea of my driver knowing I am away and the house is empty. I know that doesn't sound very trusting of me, but in general I am a very private person.

Thoughts?
I think there's something that's called a healthy dose of paranoia, and your dose may be closer to an overdose.

Between my alarm and my homeowner's coverage, along with a few good neighbors who would do something if things appeared suspicious, I figure there's only so much I can do.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Analise
I never considered that either. Do you really think TSA employees after seeing thousands and thousands daily would write down a few addresses thereby assuming these particular travelers lived alone and whose homes would be ripe for burglary?
Or the one TSO that has Eidetic (Photographic) Memory, wait if you had photographic memory would you work for the TSA?
Risk verses reward, you have the driver, if using Pool or Line then add in the passenger now knows you are leaving and now the TSO knows your address. Thrown in the person who checks your bag ID there, Gate Agent if you need to change a seat, now they have your ID/address. Wow never thought of all this.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Oops, I didn't even know there is a forum for Ride Services! Thanks for all the comments. I wouldn't call myself paranoid, but I do think about these things now and then, and wonder if others do too.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
If there is the need for small talk with your driver I always mention my 2 dobermans that dislike everyone outside the immediate family!
Old May 2, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm not too worried about this. I feel that you'd have to be pretty clueless to try to rob a home when its owner is out of town since Uber and Lyft have records showing you were the last person there. Even if one was worried, picking up from the nearby intersection or parking lot as others have mentioned is an easy solution.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by steve64
You don't need to have your home as your pickup. Place the pin on the corner then watch your driver's location the app. Make sure you're standing at the corner before the driver arrives.
As a small time driver, I hate pick-ups from a "pin drop" as my instructions will say something like go to 2410-2470 Maple Ave. That's why I say make sure you're at the drop before the driver and please be looking for your car.
I know this doesn't get work well in poor weather, but you get the idea. A neighbor may not have time to drive you to the airport, but how about the local grocery store etc.

I do think you're being a little too worried, but I have seen riders doing things like this, so you are not alone.
This.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
how does the driver know its your home maybe you were visiting maybe your address on your ID is a mailing address. Bit paranoid folks
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
My wife and I live in a rowhome/townhome so I just put my next door neighbor's address in and stand in front of their house before the car arrives. Sorry guys!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
"Are you concerned your UBER driver knows you are not home?"

No.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:45 am
hln

This never really crossed my mind before
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by hln
This never really crossed my mind before
So are you (now) concerned?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I told the last Lyft driver I was going on a Biz trip to NY for a couple of days, not that I was leaving for 25 days.

But, then I started thinking what would anyone steal in my house? My 10 yo flat screen? Throw pillows? The dishwasher?

So, I stopped really worrying about it.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Before Uber, yes there was a time befor Uber, people would call for a cab. The cab driver would know where they pick you up and drop you off. And yes they could have went back to burglarize your home while you were away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.