Which US Credit Cards Accepts Grab App?

Old Feb 13, 18, 2:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 60
Which US Credit Cards Accepts Grab App?

I will be in SE Asia and was planning to use the Grab ride share app. I tried to enter my credit card and It will not accept it. I used both citibank and chase issued debit and credit cards and no go.

I want to see which bank cards are acceptable.
skyline101 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,937
Originally Posted by skyline101 View Post
I will be in SE Asia and was planning to use the Grab ride share app. I tried to enter my credit card and It will not accept it. I used both citibank and chase issued debit and credit cards and no go.

I want to see which bank cards are acceptable.
If none of your cards will load, Grab offers an option to pay cash. When in SE Asia, I pay for Uber by credit card and pay for Grab with cash.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 3:09 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Posts: 198
I was able to load my AmEx but neither of my Visa cards.
ll22949 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 18, 7:46 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 279
so far, it has rejected a Chase Visa and a Citi Mastercard. Next, I'll try an Amex.
katstarr is offline  
Old Apr 11, 18, 8:28 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 279
OK, I figured this out. Add the cards online rather than from phone, and you have to allow pop ups.
355F1, Beano and john c wisconsin like this.

Last edited by katstarr; Apr 11, 18 at 8:29 am Reason: adding info
katstarr is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 12:30 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Germany
Programs: Alaska MVP75K, United 1K, (New) Marriott Plat Prem
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by katstarr View Post
OK, I figured this out. Add the cards online rather than from phone, and you have to allow pop ups.
Thanks! This was great info. Loaded my CSR with pop up blocker off, and with the VISA verified window allowed to "pop up," CSR loaded!
Ready for our SE Asia holiday this July.

cheers!
katstarr likes this.
osotoc is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 12:36 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Germany
Programs: Alaska MVP75K, United 1K, (New) Marriott Plat Prem
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by osotoc View Post
Thanks! This was great info. Loaded my CSR with pop up blocker off, and with the VISA verified window allowed to "pop up," CSR loaded!
Ready for our SE Asia holiday this July.

cheers!
Posted too soon: while cards (added an AMEX too) loaded on the website, on the Grab app, both cards say each card type "is not yet supported here." Hmmm.
We will have to wait and see. Grab is not convenient if I have to worry about having local currency with me.
osotoc is offline  
Old May 17, 18, 5:00 pm
  #8  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Posts: 3,859
Originally Posted by osotoc View Post
Posted too soon: while cards (added an AMEX too) loaded on the website, on the Grab app, both cards say each card type "is not yet supported here." Hmmm.
We will have to wait and see. Grab is not convenient if I have to worry about having local currency with me.
I was told that Grab only accepts VISA & MC, no AMEX yet.
355F1 is offline  
Old May 17, 18, 5:01 pm
  #9  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Posts: 3,859
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by katstarr View Post
OK, I figured this out. Add the cards online rather than from phone, and you have to allow pop ups.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!
355F1 is offline  
Old May 17, 18, 11:41 pm
  #10  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Posts: 3,859

Geez!

Visa card added successfully on laptop.

But using it isnít an option within the app itself. Itís crossed off.
355F1 is offline  
Old May 18, 18, 2:12 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,937
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Geez!

Visa card added successfully on laptop.

But using it isnít an option within the app itself. Itís crossed off.
Just wait until you arrive in a country where Grab is available. You will then be able to add - and use for payment - your US based credit card. (I use a US based Chase VISA card here in Asia on my Grab account. Works beautifully.)

The problem nearly everyone has in trying to add their credit cards in advance is trying to do so from a country where Grab isn't available. The app doesn't allow it.
Beano likes this.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old May 18, 18, 8:54 am
  #12  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Posts: 3,859
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Just wait until you arrive in a country where Grab is available. You will then be able to add - and use for payment - your US based credit card. (I use a US based Chase VISA card here in Asia on my Grab account. Works beautifully.)

The problem nearly everyone has in trying to add their credit cards in advance is trying to do so from a country where Grab isn't available. The app doesn't allow it.

I moved the pick up pin to Bali to test this. It still didnít work.

Ill post next week once we arrive in Bali.
355F1 is offline  
Old May 18, 18, 7:21 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,937
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post



I moved the pick up pin to Bali to test this. It still didnít work.

Ill post next week once we arrive in Bali.
Yes - because you aren't in Bali.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old May 21, 18, 10:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,319
So, were you able to use a US issued credit card in Bali? I added a US based Visa and MC, but get the same "card not available" result.

I am going to several countries in SE Asia. In the past few years used Uber everywhere. Now with Uber gone, Grab being the only option - I really would hate to deal with cash (as I am in some of these places for a relatively short time and really do not plan to get cash). Sure hope one of my US CCs will work. Uber will definitely be missed.
br2k is offline  
Old May 22, 18, 5:57 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,319
Contacted Grab and here is their reply:
Greetings from Grab.

We appreciate you for writing in to us in regards to the GrabPay service.

As we have checked from our end, we are regret to inform you that only locally issued credit, and/or debit cards are accepted at the moment for GrabPay services.
So the answer is "no" and it's a big downgrade in service.
br2k is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread